Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

fixing a bone carved piece.

Pages: 1 7 replies

Z
zita posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 6:15 PM

hi, i just started to carve on bone, i´m really enjoying it, i just have a few pieces so far but on the last one i had a terrible accident and broke a part of my piece. can anybody tell me what i can do about it?, the thing is that i don´t know what kind of glue or anything to place it back.
please help me!
thanks a bunch.
zita.

On 2008-05-07 18:15, zita wrote:
hi, i just started to carve on bone, i´m really enjoying it, i just have a few pieces so far but on the last one i had a terrible accident and broke a part of my piece. can anybody tell me what i can do about it?, the thing is that i don´t know what kind of glue or anything to place it back.
please help me!
thanks a bunch.
zita.

Welcome to TC Zita!

I used to do a bit of bone carving and understand just how fragile it can be. The bad news is: a broken/reglued bone carving will never be more than a broken/reglued bone carving.. If you are repairing a particularly loved piece for yourself or a friend its ok, but I wouldnt recommend offering one up for sale. The good news though: because is such a cheap/free material it may not sting so much to chalk it up to experience and get on with the next piece..?

As for glue: I was sent a tube of 'E6000' Industrial Strength Adhesive from the States that I reckon would be just the thing to repair a bone carving. (your user ID doesnt state where you are from, so Im just assuming the US..)

*Are any of your first efforts TIKI enough to show us..? I think you'll find the browsers of these pages pretty encouraging..

Hope this helps.

Tama :)

B

Welcome to TC Zita, Tama speaks the truth and we would Love to see pictures of your works.

Z
zita posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 5:20 PM

Thanx a lot Tama, your advice really helped, as a matter of fact i didn´t get rid of the piece but modified it, it isn´t just what i wanted but it dind´t turn out so bad. I´m really happy to have joined this forum where people want to share...talking about sharing i think you´ll be a little disapointed because i haven´t carved tiki pieces ...so far..., i´ve been working on pendants and a bear that doesn´t look like it but i´m on the way, i will upload some pieces soon so you can give me your opinion.

zita.

Z
zita posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 5:22 PM

Thanx a lot Benzart, I´ll do that soon.
take care,
zita.

On 2008-05-08 17:20, zita wrote:
Thanx a lot Tama, your advice really helped, as a matter of fact i didn´t get rid of the piece but modified it, it isn´t just what i wanted but it dind´t turn out so bad. I´m really happy to have joined this forum where people want to share...talking about sharing i think you´ll be a little disapointed because i haven´t carved tiki pieces ...so far..., i´ve been working on pendants and a bear that doesn´t look like it but i´m on the way, i will upload some pieces soon so you can give me your opinion.

zita.

Hi Zita ,
sounds like you made a good recovery there with that piece .
Another way , if the design lends to it , is to glue another medium too it , and finish the piece as you intended .
With bone , you could try a hardwood . It carves and polished just as well .
Horn , antler , stone , also .
String binding and lashing can do the same.
The old adage ,
"If you can't hide a join , make a feature of it "
still holds true.

Z
zita posted on Tue, May 27, 2008 2:11 PM

WOW, THAT´S A GREAT IDEA TAOTAIAHA, THANX A LOT, I THINK I´LL DO THAT WITH OTHER PIECES BUT I GUESS I´LL HAVE TO LEARN SOME KNOTS AND WINDING FOR THE USE OF STRINGS AND MAYBE SOME KIND OF SILVER WIRE AND FOR THE CASE OF THE GLUE, CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO USE?
I WAS ALSO CONSIDERING STAINING THE BONE, I READ SOMETHING ABOUT DOING IT WITH TEA OR A KIND OF NUT BUT I´VE SEEN PIECES ON DIFFERENT COLORS LIKE BLUE, BLACK, ETC.

CAN ANYBODY HELP?

THANX AND SEE YOU AROUND.
Z.

Morning Zita ,
For glue , Tama has mentioned this , 'E6000' Industrial Strength Adhesive , that is available in the States . Cyanoacrylate Glue (C A Glue) is another.
You need a clear , instant contact glue .

I like your idea of silver wire lashing , that will make a stunning piece .

Two materials , glued together , lashed or stitched over the join .
A multi media artwork

have fun , don't forget the camera :)
Jock

Pages: 1 7 replies