Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Classic Tiki Mugs.. worth $7 each?

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

I

Every once in a while you get lucky, although I am unsure how lucky I am. I recently received a note from a freecycle person who noticed I was asking for tiki items. They told me that their father used to run a restaurant in the area named "Inn of the Eight Immortals" in Falls Church, Virginia. It closed down decades ago, but they still had dozens of old mugs, and would I be interested in them? There is a skull mug, a tiki mug, and a tiki bowl. They are asking $7 each (see attached photos). So my question is whether any of you can recognize the manufacturer of these, and if would you shell out $7 each if you were in my sandles. If so, and if there is enough interest, I will buy the whole lot and just charge shipping above the per unit cost.

What do you think??

Lee

The classic joke response here will be "Naw, that stuff is not worth it, give me their contact info and I will..." -whatever. :)

You found an honest to goodness Tiki treasure, go for it, that's a steal! The bowl especially is a fine casting of an often washed out mold. But what is equally important is that you made an owner connection with a closed down Tiki temple, one that SOUNDS really enticing:

"Inn of the Eight Immortals" in Falls Church, Virginia! Wow, that is Polynesian pop if there ever was any!

It might have been a Chinese place, but PLEASE ask the person from when to when it existed, and if they have ANY paper ephemera left from it: Menus, matchbooks, postcards. any photos of the interior and exterior, any newspaper write ups...all this should be preserved and shared!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-10 11:52 ]

8T

Lee, I'm sure you will get more replies advising you to GO FOR IT. I know what I would do if it were my opportunity. SO, assuming you do go ahead and nab the lot, can I please be on the list for buying one of each from ya???? Don't have any of those pieces......YET! Good Luck, 8FT

Great find!

I'd definitely buy some from you!

Yep put together a deal from your friend get them out of their storage into your (I mean our) hands. Sven is right see if they have anything else besides mugs that they consider junk or useless (you never know) and yep I'd be interested in some sharing if you "GO FOR IT" - either fun stuff!

T

If you do buy them, which I think you should, I would be interested in buying 1 od each.

Thanx

LT

On 2008-05-10 11:37, I-Tiki wrote:
... So my question is whether any of you can recognize the manufacturer of these, and if would you shell out $7 each if you were in my sandles. If so, and if there is enough interest, I will buy the whole lot and just charge shipping above the per unit cost.

What do you think??

Lee

All three are Otagiri (OMC) pieces. I too would be interested in getting a couple of each, maybe more.

Absolutely! Those are great mugs. Especially the little skulls! I'm in for one of each (or more) if you snag 'em!

Let me know!

Mugs are cool! You should get them because if nothing else you can forward them on to others here and make them very happy.

What you absolutely MUST DO! is get more details about the restaurant. When, where, how long, pictures, story, history, everything you possibly can find out about this place. Like Bigbro said, it could have been some crappy chinky-food place (Son, its not polite to use that term (movie reference for those not paying attention)) but the fact that they were using mugs for at least some of their drinks means there is some bit of story worth discovering and sharing.

Nice mugs,

Put me down for 1 a piece too.

Cheers!

Rick

S

These look great - if possible, put me down for two of each of the tiki items (don't need the skull mugs). Thanks!

Jeff

R

I would pay for a tiki bowl. The fact that you might be able to get some of the history makes it all the more interesting.

I'd be very happy to buy one each from you. Very nice find!

I agree with the others who say the greatest thing about this is to make a connection with the family who ran a Tiki Icon!

Put me down doe interest in a bowl and skull mug.

congrats!

Great find! I'd definitely be interested in a couple of the tiki bowls. Those are great for parties.

What a wonderful find! To hear from someone who may have stories to share about the location in question is just as much of a score as the physical items are.

I'd love one of those bowls if you could spare one.

I already have the skull, in fact that is my photograph! :wink: It's my very favorite skull mug, because he has such a cute cartoon-y look to him. A happy sort of dia de los muertos thing going on. And the Kon Tiki style mug is a classic for sure.

Cheers!

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 5:19 PM

Put me down for one of each as well!

If it becomes a done deal, put me down for a bowl.

J

Put me down for one of each.

Thanks for the generous offer.

MA

Thanks for sharing this awesome find. Please add me to the list for two of the skull mugs, one bowl and one brown tiki mug if you can spare them. Thank you.

I would love to get one of each of them. If the deal comes together please put me on the list.
Thanks so much! and good luck with your decision!
Jon M

I would definitely take a bowl and a kon-tiki mug off yours hands if you had enough.

JB

You can certainly count me in for a bowl!

R

i'll take one each!!

Looks like you got a veritable Tiki store going, now. :) Let us know what you find. If the mugs have the name of the place inscribed, I would like to have a set, too. Here they are in the 1969 line up of Otagiri Mercantile:

....and here is some more info from a 1968 catalog:

Otagiri was THE mug manufacturer of Tiki culture, in the heyday of Tiki (early 60s) they came up with some really great individual Tiki logo mugs, with nice detail and paint. By the late 60s, Tiki had peaked, and gradually they offered less and less variety, eventually letting Orchids of Hawaii taking over in the Tiki restaurant business.

I'd be interested in the bowls for sure....

I'd be interested in buying one of each...that is if you have any left. Thanks!

LT

On 2008-05-10 22:38, bigbrotiki wrote:

** Drool **

That volcano bowl is impressive!

I'd definitely like one of those bowls, if you have enough. Thanks for making this an opportunity for everyone.

I am in for one of each as well if you have extras.

Thanks

i'll take 2 bowls...i'll even give you double for them...$14 each for your troubles...thanks!!

..unless the name of the bar is on the back...then i'd be good for 1 of each style....same price offer will apply to each...thanks again!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-11 08:53 ]

Nice find there I-Tiki!
Please add me to the list if there are any left, especially for the bowl.

Thanks!

Cool! Thanks for posting this! If you are taking orders, I would love to get 2 bowls!! Even the cost of shipping will be less than what they go for on eBay.

Mahalo!
Myke

K

If this is where people are placing orders I'd hate to be excluded, so let me chuck my name in too.

One of each here, if I'm not too late!

And yes, you are lucky, thanks for posting the story!

PTD

T

Awesome find!! I will take one of each as well if this is still happening!
Cool to see that this stuff still happens!!
TabooDan

T

I would be up for a bowl. If they havn't sold out, please put me down on the list!

Thanx!

Bowl and skull, Please~

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-05-12 17:17 ]

S

Love some Virginia tiki. I'd love to have that bowl and skull for sure.

I too would love to have one of each if there is enough! Thanks very much for the offer.

Chris

RR

If you do have a list going, please add me to it for one of each.

One of each if you're selling, please!

Bowl & Skull ......Mahalo

SCORE LEE!! take one of each as well.. Thanks

Aloha

If I'm not too late I'd like one of each. Thanks!!

RT

I would love to have two skull mugs, please! Thank you.

I'd be interested in one of each :)

Please put me down for 2 bowls if they are still available. Can you say score?!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies