Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Trader Vic's Emeryville or Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hello everyone, I tried to search the forums but could not find an exact answer to my questions so i thought i would post it.

I will be traveling to San Fran at the end of the month. I am staying downtown
for a couple days and was wondering.... if you had to make the commute and only had time to visit one of the two places which one would it be. I have been to many Trader Vic's but never the "Flagship". I must admit from the posts i did read it seems like i am swaying more toward Forbidden island then T.V. but thought i would try to get some more direction from fellow TCers.

Also is there a must hit antique mall in the SF area?

I have to put my vote in for the Forbidden Island... TV's Emeryville is classic (and classy) but I always seem to have more fun at FI. The Bamboo Ben interior is just awesome. If you can... see both. They're only 20 mins or so apart.

I've never been to this antique mall but always wanted to: http://www.sfantique.com/ maybe other TC'ers can comment on their experiences here.
Also, if you happen to visit on the first Sunday of the month, you have to check out the huge Antique fair in Alameda: http://www.antiquesbythebay.net/

Have fun!

I vote for Forbidden Island too. There are TV's all over the world, but only one FI. And, FI can make any TV drink you desire.

I agree FI, but if yer coming from Far away,
and its soo close,
try to hit TV's for a drink and a pu pu plater item.
its worth the see 1 time.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

J

Gee, that's a tough call! If you plan to have a meal at whichever establishment, then you should make it TV, because FI only has fried appetizers, nothing substantial in the way of food. TV also has lovely bay views. But if you're looking for the best atmosphere, decor, and drinks, then FI is the place to be.

Don't shoot me, Martiki!

S

Honestly, I would just go to both!

Suzanne

There's so much to see 7 do in the Bay Area. Here are some of the places we visited:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22871&forum=16&vpost=301592&hilite=soccertiki%20in%20the%20bay%20area

Thanks everyone for your comments....it really made me think that i need to revaluate my agenda and try to make both happen or else i will regret it. Again thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Wait!! I haven't chimed in yet! I love the Emeryville Vic's but I've always had more fun at Forbidden Island.

On 2008-05-13 18:57, Bora Boris wrote:
Wait!! I haven't chimed in yet! I love the Emeryville Vic's but I've always had more fun at Forbidden Island.

I'm with you Boris, both are great and each has their own appeal. And since their only about 10 minutes from each other I would really sway you to do both!

When I was telling a buddy of mine that lives in Berkley that I wanted to go to both, he said that he would meet me at FI,, because that the only people that go to TVs are old people. why would I want to go there?

I said that's exactly why I want to go there.
because its a laid back relaxing vibe.
not a sports tiki bar, with a bunch of people yelling and stuff.
Not that FI is the latter, its just that TVS is a very classy place, and has decor that must be seen.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Tough choice because both are the opposite extremes of Tiki "bar culture" in my opinion. Trader Vics is indeed old school and upscale while FI is newer and more laid back. TV has that sense of history that you can feel as soon as you drive up and leave the car with the valet (valet parking at a "Tiki" establishment? Yes it's true). If you are into Mai Tais, then it's TV hands down. Their standard Mai Tai is great but for a real treat ask for a San Francisco Mai Tai...it's got fresher ingredients and is a bit more tart. Food and appetizers at TV are top notch. Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch, but the wife and I go to TV every year for our Bdays and Anniversary.

Ironically, we have plans to hit FI tomorrow night....so what do I know?

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into going to the Tonga Room....at least not for drinks! Great place to look at but spend your money at TVs or FIs!!!

J

On 2008-05-14 17:58, tikitonga wrote:
If you are into Mai Tais, then it's TV hands down. Their standard Mai Tai is great but for a real treat ask for a San Francisco Mai Tai...it's got fresher ingredients and is a bit more tart.

Seriously?!? If you go to TV's and ask for a Mai Tai, you're likely to get one made with TV's Mai Tai mix and their blended Mai Tai rum. If you ask for a classic Mai Tai at Forbidden Island, you will get one made the way Vic intended ... from scratch with the freshest ingredients available and two different rums. No mixes behind that bar! There is good reason that Martiki is invited to consult with new and existing tiki establishments when it comes time to create or improve their menus. He knows what he's doing and he makes sure his bartenders do as well. TV's Emeryville is about old school atmosphere, but you'll get a better cocktail at FI every time, and at a much more reasonable price! I won't even go into the distinct differences in the level of service in the bar!

I've had the regular mai tai and the "SF" mai tai at Vic's and they don't even come close to the freshness and artistry that Forbidden Island accomplishes with their classic mai tai. Vic's is great for the history, atmosphere, and expensive food, but FI sets a whole new standard for today's mixologists. Now I am thirsty again.

[ Edited by: TIKI KAIMUKI 2008-05-15 07:57 ]

I am excited for FI, it seems that everyone who's been there has had nothing but great comments especially on their drinks. So i have also decided to make the time and go to T.V. because i cant miss the opportunity to see classic TIKI interior. I guess the main reason for my hesitation was that i kept picturing the last T.V. i visited(Las Vegas). I hate to say it but after being to T.V. in Chicago and London this was... well not so good. I am sure a lot of you know what i am talking about. But it seems that Trader Vic's Emeryville as far as interiors go should please the soul.

On 2008-05-15 07:56, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
I've had the regular mai tai and the "SF" mai tai at Vic's and they don't even come close to the freshness and artistry that Forbidden Island accomplishes with their classic mai tai. Vic's is great for the history, atmosphere, and expensive food, but FI sets a whole new standard for today's mixologists. Now I am thirsty again.

Well now I can't sleep at night without a side by side comparison...which is the only right thing to do. Comparing Mai Tais drank weeks/months apart just isn't accurate. Sooooooooo, the wife and I are hitting FI on Saturday night for a pre-dinner Mai Tai, then off to HobNobs for some chow..maybe a movie and then to TV for a nightcap Mai Tai.No matter which one comes out on top, it's still a win-win for me no matter how you cut it! THanks for the inspiration for this non-scientific test TIKI KAIMUKI and JENTIKI!

On 2008-05-15 10:40, tikitonga wrote:

On 2008-05-15 07:56, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:

Well now I can't sleep at night without a side by side comparison...which is the only right thing to do. Comparing Mai Tais drank weeks/months apart just isn't accurate. Sooooooooo, the wife and I are hitting FI on Saturday night for a pre-dinner Mai Tai, then off to HobNobs for some chow..maybe a movie and then to TV for a nightcap Mai Tai.No matter which one comes out on top, it's still a win-win for me no matter how you cut it! THanks for the inspiration for this non-scientific test TIKI KAIMUKI and JENTIKI!

When you order that Mai Tai from TV's be sure to ask that it be hand made from scratch or else you'll just get a lesser one from mix.

On 2008-05-15 10:00, Bail Tekey wrote:
I am excited for FI, it seems that everyone who's been there has had nothing but great comments especially on their drinks. So i have also decided to make the time and go to T.V. because i cant miss the opportunity to see classic TIKI interior.

On a trip to SF last year, we visited the SF Vic's (now closed) and FI on one day and Vic's Emeryville and the Tonga Room the next day. Both Vic's locations could mix a good drink, but FI's drinks take it to the next level ("another notch!"). No surprise there considering that Martin runs the place. But you're making a good call to also visit the Emeryville Vic's. It's a must-visit time machine into tiki past.

T

My suggestion is dinner in the dining room at Emeryville TV. Request a window seat. The bar isn't that great since they changed it (they painted the ceiling white). Precede or follow your dinner with drinks at FI (preferably following dinner, the drinks are strong and you won't want to leave).

J

The classic Mai-Tai at FI is a work of art. Even Tiki-Ti's Mai Tai is not the sublime experience that FI's is. If I ever moved to the Bay area, I would live in Alameda just to be in walking distance of FI.

I wish I could have a FI classic Mai Tai right now !!

I say skip them both and come to my house...I can have alohacurrent whip you up a Mai Tai to die for.

But if that isn't an option, I did it in one night...Vic's Emeryville, then Forbidden Island, then the Kona Club and finally the Conga Lounge. It was a long afternoon and evening, but five of us were able to all of them, no problem. Of course, we used cabs to get around.

And if you make it to the Conga Lounge, be sure and order a pizza from downstairs, a great way to end your evening!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-16 16:44 ]

G

On 2008-05-16 12:52, thejab wrote:
The bar isn't that great since they changed it (they painted the ceiling white).

Horrors!! :o

I just wanted to thank everyone once again for all the feedback. It was very helpful in planning out my agenda!

Aloha!

Pages: 1 22 replies