Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interesting article in the New York Times about Tiki in Manhattan

Pages: 1 13 replies

D

Cool and all, but correct me if I'm wrong . . this was written in 1998, right?

T

The story is dated May 10th,1998

????????????????

D

Wait....this isn't 1998? What year is it then?

Oh man...I just noticed that! I was looking at the date in the upper left corner of the page near the Times logo that had today's date. I knew something was up when I saw that no one had posted it already. Oh well. NEVERMIND!

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-05-13 15:52 ]

H
harro posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 7:23 PM

whats 10 years (and 3 days) between friends??

The writer, Frank De Caro, was one of the few early Tiki aficionados in N.Y. in the 90s. He's an author, too, and back then intended to do a book on Tiki...until I told him that the BOT was imminent, and he graciously bowed out. He interviewed me on his radio show about TIKI MODERN some months ago, he's a smart and fun host.

On 2008-05-13 21:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
The writer, Frank De Caro, was one of the few early Tiki aficionados in N.Y. in the 90s. He's an author, too, and back then intended to do a book on Tiki...until I told him that the BOT was imminent, and he graciously bowed out. He interviewed me on his radio show about TIKI MODERN some months ago, he's a smart and fun host.

Gosh, bigbro~ did YOU write a book about vintage tiki?!! ;-p Just joking.
Kinda.

On 2008-05-14 04:51, Moai_Mama wrote:
Kinda.

No. I wrote TWO. :D
Some people here have an interest in the early Tiki revival history and its pioneers, like the story of Tiki News, and how the BOT came about, and for those folks I gladly share my experiences. Others don't give a damn, and just wanna consume Tiki as it is right now ....perhaps not realizing that it would not be there like it is today without that history.

MOAI MAMA, would you like a moist towlette for that bloody nose?

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-05-14 05:56 ]

Yeah, DeCaro does believe in the Tiki - I did a interview on his show too, and it was one of the better media experiences that I had. He gets it.

Thanks for posting this link, no matter what its vintage may be - it is always fascinating to get a time capsule bit of history like this, a picture of how NYC Tiki was at one exact moment in time.

Still there.

They have sex kittens?

On 2008-05-14 05:55, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Thanks David, but nah~ my nose is tough. I teach 18 four-year-olds each day & have vast knowledge in the art of wiping bloody noses ;->

On 2008-05-14 05:43, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-05-14 04:51, Moai_Mama wrote:
Kinda.

No. I wrote TWO. :D
Some people here have an interest in the early Tiki revival history and its pioneers, like the story of Tiki News, and how the BOT came about, and for those folks I gladly share my experiences. Others don't give a damn, and just wanna consume Tiki as it is right now ....perhaps not realizing that it would not be there like it is today without that history.

Yes, yes, bigbro~ I know of, own, and have read both of your books. They sit upon my coffee table like others display their family Bible, and are picked up often for reference and Art inspiration. . BUT... I'm surely not the first person who has noticed how often you advertise those wonderful (2) books? Just ribbing at ya, they truly are something to be bragged about.

I'm also very interested in history and have a love of all things vintage, as the daughter of a well-known antique dealer, especially vintage tiki.

P.S... here's a (blurry) shot of me acquiring early tiki knowledge in the 1960's at Florida's Tiki Gardens~ I'm the smaller tike being held up by Dad~
P.S.S... and back to the original topic~ very interesting newspaper article, donhonyc!

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-05-14 16:05 ]

On 2008-05-14 15:33, Moai_Mama wrote:

On 2008-05-14 05:55, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Thanks David, but nah~ my nose is tough. I teach 18 four-year-olds each day & have vast knowledge in the art of wiping bloody noses ;->

:>:>:>::>:>::>::>:::>
YOU RUN A BOXING CAMP?

Pages: 1 13 replies