Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Palm Springs find not really Tiki but cool

Pages: 1 8 replies

O

Down the road from Caliente Tropic toward Cathedral City, I spotted this place that reminds me of a Don the Beachcomber's.
Anyone know the story of this place?

Next trip I will photograph the interior which judging from the sign maybe cool.
(With a tripod from now on Bigbro :wink: )

That's Hale Iwa Joe's. It used to be The Chart House.

It's a gorgeous restaurant that is partially underground.

No tiki, but a fair amount of Hawaiiana in the decor. Plus, there's a giant circular fireplace near the bar.

I haven't been there since last year, but they've got exceedingly yummy appetizers and good drinks.

Seconded! A friend and I went for dinner a few years ago on our first Palm Springs road trip and have made it a stop each time since. The building is really cool; it's very easy to miss if you're coming at it from the East!

I haven't been, but there's a place in La Quinta called the Cliffhouse that's owned by Duke's. Doesn't appear Tiki or Hawaiian at all, but apparently they have Hula Pie if you get a craving.

Yes. Good joint. They have a drink made for 2 that I had and it was pretty good. The shrimp skewers are good as well.

I thought it was worth mentioning that Haleiwa Joe's is now Ocean's 111.

The food and drinks are still very good, and the decor has not changed. Plus, they still serve the chocolate lava cake. (I could have lived without the live music though.)

Joe Banks took a fabulous picture of the fire pit with his phone that I can't seem to copy into this thread, so here's the one I took.

JB

Do they still have a decent happy hour? My girlfriend and I use to go there all the time right at 5pm. All of the appetizers were half off and the mixed drinks were cheaper. We haven't been back since the name changed...

On 2009-03-15 23:37, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Do they still have a decent happy hour?

We didn't ask about happy hour, but I did notice that the dinner menu prices are lower during that time period.

On 2009-03-15 19:43, Joe Banks wrote:

Um, isn't that the same glowing symbol set last seen in a certain Dharma Initiative "Hatch"...? Could there be another station yet unknown -- "The Restaurant"...?

Pages: 1 8 replies