Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Where to get citric acid crystals?

Pages: 1 5 replies

K
kwil posted on Sat, May 17, 2008 3:03 PM

Hi

I'm in Kailua for a bit and am wondering where is the best place to get citric acid crystals ovah heah?

Aloha!

They might sell them at your local homebrewers supply store. Some homebrewers who make ciders and meads use citric acid to adjust the flavor if it is not sour enough.

If there is not a homebrewers supply store near by you can go online and find a winemakers or brewers webstore, but I am sure shipping the order to paradise will be steep.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2008-05-17 16:01 ]

K

I don't know, but maybe we can figure this out - first, two questions:

Are you in Kailua, Oahu or Kailua-Kona?

I take it you're a visitor, and you're able to buy these citrus acid crystals at home - where do you normally buy them? What kind of store?

Once I know that, maybe I can recommend similar stores here in Hawaii.

K
kwil posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 11:23 AM

Um, to tell you the truth, I just started looking before I left the Mainland, so I haven't actually found any yet. I know I can go into Honolulu and get them at Fukuda's, but you know how it is crossing the Pali, plus they have really short hours. I'd rather get them on this side of Oahu, if there's any.

K

I don't know about Hawaii'i, but I've found citric acid labeled as "Sour Salt" in the Kosher section of grocery stores. I also found citric acid in craft stores in the section where they have ingredients for making your own soaps and lotions because its used a preservative. The craft store price was really a bargain.

K

I never heard of Fukuda's, and the only Fukuda's in the phone book is a seed store. But if they got it, shake your butt over there and buy a bagful.

I read that it's frequently used in cooking - maybe try Executive Chef at Ward Warehouse (Kaka'ako), or Williams Sonoma at Ala Moana. Did you check Safeway in Kailua? They have everything. How about R. Field at Foodland in Kailua, next to Big City Diner?

Good luck - hope you latch on to a good supply. Whatever you do, don't buy your crystals from anyone on a street corner in Kalihi.

Pages: 1 5 replies