Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Donny and Marie Go Tiki in National Lampoon

Pages: 1 4 replies

I ran across these scans of an old comic satire that appeared in National Lampoon Magazine, featuring Donny and Marie Osmond. It's called, Real Gone Hawaiian Goon. No, I don't understand what it means, so don't ask me.

You can view the comic in its entirety here: page 1, page 2, page 3.

I think it's a parody of the cinematic blockbuster film Goin Coconuts that was released when their variety show was all the rage.

I've never seen it but judging by their squeaky clean Mormon image I don't think the Chi Chi budget was very high.

On 2008-05-17 16:49, naugatiki wrote:
I think it's a parody of the cinematic blockbuster film Goin Coconuts that was released when their variety show was all the rage.

I think you're right, naugatiki. I'd forgotten all about that turkey.

Wow, cool find. More proof that by 1978, Polynesian pop was a pastime reserved for the squarest of the squares, and was appropriately ridiculed as such....even if not in the most intelligent manner.

HC

Aloha,
A goofy gag, child-like, "Get Smart" kinda romp... some Tiki spotting a lobby or office...and a darn good troupe of Hawaiian dancers....better with a lack of sophistication or willpower weakened by Mai-Tais but strangely memorable!
Hula Cat

Pages: 1 4 replies