Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

witco at brimfield 2008

Pages: 1 13 replies

N

last year at this time i scored some nice witco pieces at the brimfield flea. this year, i wasn't really in the market for anything but saw a few things that might interest somebody.

one of the first people's booths that i checked out had an interesting wall hanging. It had two faces on an orange shag background. one of the faces looked sorta like elvis? the faces had a light coat of paint...

the seller also had a few non-tiki chairs as well as a dinning room table.

I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow...

where is brimfield?

Brimfield, MA

I went this year, found nothing I was looking for. :(

But there was an incredible Tiki (that I'm bummed I didn't take a picture of) and I'm told it sold for $14,000.!!!

I believe it was Maori, and it had to be 10 feet tall or so, really big guy!

I saw some Tiki bars that were cool, but I didn't see any Witco (I got lucky last year)and not a single ukulele! which really bummed me out because I was hoping to find some beat up ones to use for spare parts on cigar box ukes I plan to make.

It seemed more crowded than the last couple of years I've gone, I found it to be really hoppin' on Wednesday.

I'll go back in July for sure.

oh......that brimfield.

It must have been this one. 14-grand is a bit steep, no?

Also spotted at the fair:

pile o' fish floats:

handsome bar ($750):

[ Edited by: Thunderlips 2008-05-18 06:30 ]

Ahhh, I was hoping someone would snap a photo.

The price certainly seemed steep to me, but I don't know exactly what the history is on it. At least it made me feel not quite as bad that I didn't get to it first!

Does anyone know a possible history on a Tiki like that? Is it Maori? Is it of museum piece quality or was the guy snowing me on the price?

It's hard to get scale from the picture but it is very tall.

I saw that bar. Missed the floats though.

I'm an even 6' so that guy was well over 8.

Cool, thanks for the perspective shot.

I'm curious, where was he when those photos were taken? When I saw him, he was out on the grounds in front of a tent. That was on Wednesday.

The pix are from yesterday.

He was in front of a place called The Brimfield Barn, one of the permanent year-round antique shops, across from Francesco's Pizza.

Apparently the pizza didn't agree with him!

[ Edited by: Thunderlips 2008-05-18 07:48 ]

I saw that guy in both places & also took a picture. Very impressive! As for Brimfield, as usual, I spent more on gas, parking & food than I did on cool stuff. Just a couple of Coco Joe's & a couple of glass floats. I was hoping to find some rattan & I did, in so-so shape for foolish money. Friday I came across an awesome set, 2 chairs, a couch, an ottoman & 4 tables all spray painted a horrible green for a mere $850.00!!!! No thanks! It's always fun to walk around but there's never much mid-century stuff & if there is, it's crazy expensive. Oh, well! At least I got the floats I was looking for.

A
ADB posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 2:21 PM

It seems everything at Brimfield is very overpriced.
I chose to stay away based on fuel prices.
The last time I went I paid to much for a fiberglass lamp shade, but had to as I didnt want to leave empty handed.

N

prices weren't bad this time around...when the economy is in the shitter, prices go wayyy down.

my wife and I got this awesome china that was hand painted with a bamboo design...8 lg plates, 8 small plates, 8 sandwhich plates, 4 soup bowls; all for 40 bux...

still got to post those witco pix, sorry, don't know how to get them off the camera...i'll figure it out and post them here as soon as i can. if someone is interested in the stuff the guy had, i have his info as well.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 3:52 PM

This is from the Sea and Jungle brochure:

Can't remember what restaurant this one's from, someone else is sure to know:

note the difference in digits!

Pages: 1 13 replies