Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's Tiki: thoughts?

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

Recently found a seller with a Tiki pole from the SF TV's. It as used as a post for some handrailing, the pole is roughly 4 feet by 9 inches. Used on some steps, it has a notch on the bottom to fit a step, and holes for mounting the rail through the top Tiki. The design is a pair of two-sided Marquesan Tikis, very similar to the far left pole in "B.O.T" page 244, picture on bottom of page. Almost certainly OA handiwork.

Seller wants $300, a bit steep but if I negotiate I may get it. What does everyone, anyone, think?

He also has four LARGE glass lights, made to resemble glass fishing floats. These are reportedly from the Islander Stockton, not certain...never went! They are really big, 20" or more diameter, $350 per. Too big for our place, and too pricey, but they're interesting.

Any input appreciated. Maybe I get it and bring it along on the crawl, ha ha!

midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2003-03-02 18:17 ]

Considering that many carvers here mentioned $100 per foot as being a common rate for a new tiki (with other folks in less tiki-loving environs charging more like $50 per foot), I'd say a $300 4-footer with provenance from TV's would be dandy, IMO. I love that Marquesan style, too.

M

I assume you're referring to the goodies at X-21. Those lamps are fantastic. I believe I saw the tiki as well. He told me the lamps were from Vic's, then he wasn't sure, then he thought they might be from the Islander. They probably are. I was speaking with Otto the other night about this stuff, and he told me that all of the Vic's SF stuff is in storage in Oakland and that it is unlikely to be out in the public market. If that stuff is all from the Islander, then that's plenty cool in my book as well. I don't have room for those lamps either, but they are no question a choice find.

-martin

M

Hey Martin,
You are correct, sir. Did not know about the "Islander Lamps" 'cause I never visited. The Tiki pole is definitely commercial, but was also unsure on if actually a TV relic or someplace else.

It's nice, but the guy is about 100% over my high. Or more. So many deals to be had in SF, ha ha.

Maybe Sven will buy it, Mr. $780 video...ha ha, it's fun when it's not me!

midnite

A

Do you mean these posts. These pics were taken at the Islands Room. I've seen these poles at OA, I don't know how much they were.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-03-03 08:28 ]

M

Hiya Al,
That is the general idea, yes. The specific design is closer to the one in that pic in BOT. This particular pole is a bit weathered(a lot), so likely it was used outdoors. The pole has two round mounting holes for the railing, one side's is larger, and the notch on the bottom says "stairs" to me.

Should have taken a pic and posted it here or sent it to Bob at OA. I went looking for Tonga mugs, found 15+ Islander Mai-Tai buckets instead. Perhaps that is a clue, along with the glass lamps this guy has, about the pole's provenance (as Martin deduces).

Thanks for the pic, TC is a very good resource indeed.

midnite

Those poles at the Islands are the Janus faced ones (4 Tikis merging into each other) and are different. You can see them better on page 11, photographed at The Tikis.
Trader vic's had other ones, so the ones offered are probably authentic.

I know what you mean, the 300.- $ mark makes me feel iffy, too, if it is not a full scale Tiki.... I would go by the "do I really want this bad?" rule, and then not look back.

I personally think the fishnet float lamps sound very intriguing! A lot of money, too, but the big colored glass ones are rare and first class...

M

Thanks bigbro,

First, a real big congrats for that video auction. Tag, you're "it" for the outrageous Ebay auction amount. The onus is off us now.

*You can see them better on page 11, photographed at The Tikis. *

Yep, that's how it appears this pole was used, one top handrail. The design is almost identical to the one in pic on page 244.

*I know what you mean, the 300.- $ mark makes me feel iffy, too, if it is not a full scale Tiki.... I would go by the "do I really want this bad?" rule, and then not look back. *

Pretty much agree. I would rather take the money and visit OA. Money better spent there, IMO.

midnite

On 2003-03-03 10:37, midnite_tiki wrote:

I would rather take the money and visit OA. Money better spent there, IMO.

Midnite,
I'd have to agree with you there. For $300 you could get a Leroy Schmaltz or something from one of our own in-house artists like Chiki, Gecko, etc... which is what I would personally rather have than an old baluster.

Pages: 1 8 replies