Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mixing big batches of stuff and how long do they keep.

Pages: 1 11 replies

I have a huge party coming up soon and was thinking of making a ton of one particular drink. Something that can be mixed in advance and then just poured later over crushed ice. Just wondering if anybody has tried this. If I mix it a day or maybe two in advance is it still going to be good at party time?

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-05-17 22:03 ]

If we're having a big event and are featuring certain drinks recipes, we at Lund Manor will mix the liquors (rums, liquors, brandies) for said certain cocktail the day (or maybe, two) before an event. We squeeze our juices only a day before, though and don't mix them until the day of.

It's worked well so far, without complaint. :)

On 2008-05-17 22:02, donhonyc wrote:
thinking of making a ton of one particular drink....

And the drink would be?

Some things can be made in advance, parts of others can be made in advance, some parts can (should) only be done just before the party.

K

Search Tiki Central for this thread:

Recipe: tiki drinks to bottle for party

Towards the bottom of the page is a list of links that should be of help to you for making party-sized quantities of tiki drinks.

D

On 2008-05-18 18:07, Koolau wrote:
Search Tiki Central for this thread:

Recipe: tiki drinks to bottle for party

Towards the bottom of the page is a list of links that should be of help to you for making party-sized quantities of tiki drinks.

Cool, thank you.

The drink that I'm thinking of making is the Surf Room Mai Tai.

Koolau offers the link to the best thread, and poking aroundin the Drinks forum will turn up many requests for large batch drinks.

The short version for those not wanting to poke around too deeply:

Liquors can be mixed together at any time for just about any length of time in advance.

Lower proof stuff like liqueurs shouldn't be mixed together more than a couple of days in advance.

Liquors and Liqueurs shouldn't be mixed together more than a couple of days in advance.

Any fresh juice stops being fresh pretty quick so plan on no more than the day before. Morning of is better if you have to do it advance.

Break your recipe into parts.... Mix liquors in one serving vessel, mix other modifiers in one serving vessel, mix juices in one vessel. Pour together into one vessel just before the party starts, or if you can wait until the first guest arrives that is even better.

Every drink is a bit different, some things actually require some 'sit time' to be good, others need to be made as needed.

If you are ever not sure about how long a recipe will sit, make a double serving for a test and have one fresh and let the other one sit for about how long you think it will sit and try it again. If you like it, and more importantly you think your guests will like it, you are all set with advance mixing.

Good luck, do please tell us how it goes and what you figure out.

K

Yes, please report back on what you did, and what worked and what didn't.

I'll echo Chip and Andy's always sage booze advice - don't make your mix too far in advance. I winced when you mentioned days before hand - that's a recipe for junk drinks. If you're going to do that, just buy mixers and sweet and sour mix instead.

Maybe instead of a Mai Tai recipe, try some of the punches listed in Jeff Berry's or Trader Vic's books - they are already embiggened, so you don't need to worry about calculating volumes or whether the taste will be out of balance. I think there are punch recipes in that link I suggested, too.

S

The Surf Room Mai Tai is one of my favorites, but it is strong as hell, if made according to the recipe.

My advice is to not mix in the liquor until ready to serve. As long as you can refridgerate the mix in a sealed container, it'll be okay. This is what every bar in America does every day. There are bottles in the fridge and bottles in the wells of mix. Trader Vic's makes 99% of their Mai Tais this way. Just squeeze a half lime and add rum and mint.

Put everything in a bottle except ice and liquor. Serve by pouring in liquor and then mix on top of ice and stir and serve. You can also not stir, per an old fashioned stlye.

G

I needed to do the same. so I came up with this.

5 gallon blender. will belnd 3 galons at a time. Use for your favorite blended libation.

Bonus points for capacity and capability.

Negative points for presentation.

That rocks! But you gotta make it look a little bit better. Maybe some bamboo, or grass skirting......

Unless that is 'under' the bar. Then, by all means share the plans cuz I gotta build one for the next happy hour.

also wanted to add, as well as juice souring out and becoming bitter if stored with alcohol in a premade batch, herbs such as mint and jasmine become too strong and bitter, and heavy syrups, honey, butter and the like will often separate out.
I learned the hard way years ago having made up some large batches too early that became bitter and harsh by the time they were served. At that same party i had infused waters for non drinkers and drinkers alike. Left too long the cucumber lime and mint orange waters also became very bitter.
Also, I have tried many different containers for large batches, including water containers with pour spouts available from target. Be careful, smell the plastic container. It if is new, and still smells like a chemical plant after you wash it, be wary. I have had a new plastic container impart a plastic-ee taste to a cocktail that was stored in the fridge before. Never had it with a large plastic cooler,though.

Thanks for all the useful advice. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Wow that three gallon blender looks insane. Maybe I'll just find the nearest washing machine and put a lining inside so the liquid doesn't drain out. Taht should do it.

Pages: 1 11 replies