Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Portland Museum Of Velvet Paintings?

Pages: 1 27 replies

Where did I see this? Shiste. Anybody know anything about it?
Just found it here. http://www.velveteria.com/index2.htm

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-05-18 23:04 ]

V
G
GROG posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 12:03 AM

GROG has been wanting to get their book since it first came out, but haven't put any serious effort into getting one yet. But, GROG still planning on adding it to GROG' library.

There has just been an article on this place in the last issue of Nude Magazine

This place, Velveteria, isn't too far from my house. I went to the unveiling they had of their new book earlier this month at Powell's City of Books. Through the end of this month they have many of their velvet paintings on display in the gallery upstairs. I recommend going to check it out. Lots of tropical ones! The book is a must. So is a trip to the museum.

[ Edited by: Tiki Kupcake 2008-05-20 14:52 ]

Welcome to TC Kupcake!!
Thanks for your input.
Not too many Polynesian styles on the website. If you get a chance takes some pics and postem here.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-05-20 14:58 ]

Holy Moly, I just bought the last hardcover "Black Velvet Masterpieces", whew!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-05-20 15:07 ]

Hey, I really like these guys. I've talked to them a couple of times after they bought one of my paintings for their museum. They seem really great.

Black Velvet Masterpieces is a great book filled with velvet paintings and the history of artists with contemporary masters highlighted with great narratives.

Nice cover with velvet finish.

PTD

hmmm, they made more pretty fast, and bumped the price from 19.95 to 24.95

On 2008-05-20 14:57, Jungle Trader wrote:
Welcome to TC Kupcake!!
Thanks for your input.
Not too many Polynesian styles on the website. If you get a chance takes some pics and postem here.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-05-20 14:58 ]

Thanks for the welcome. Here are the pictures I took at the unveiling.

These guys are very cool. I haven't been there yet, but one of my velvets will be in their collection next month! I'll post it here when it's done, but you'll have to visit the Velveteria to see the original. :)
-Heather

Thanks Tiki Kupcake for the pics, they don't have much at all on their site. I can't wait to see their book.

This is a small (16x20) velvet of mine they have on their Polynesian wall:

Received my book today. Isn't she a beauty! There's 2 pages inside dedicated "How to Paint a Masterpiece".
Burke Tyree is in there of course. He graduated from Turlock High School in 1939, right here where I built my jungle habitat. I wonder if Turlock has recognized the great painter that he was. Here's one of his oil's I recently acquired.
Anyway, beautiful book, I love it.

Jungle Trader - great piece, looks like a heavily hand-colored photo!

On 2008-05-27 16:11, Robb Hamel wrote:
Thanks Tiki Kupcake for the pics, they don't have much at all on their site. I can't wait to see their book.

This is a small (16x20) velvet of mine they have on their Polynesian wall:

LOVE IT! Maybe you're the person I have been looking for to get a tiki velvet painting from! I look forward to seeing it and will post pictures when I do.

We have the beautiful painting by Robb Hamel, it is not in the museum yet but we are redoing one whole area to bring out all the tikis, wahines South Sea landscapes slated for June 12th, we put out our carvings and a 50's tiki bar, when we get it together we will post a pic. Thanks for sharing the Tyree oil painting he is one of the great velvet masters.Some of his work is at Minnie's in Modesto I was coveting all the paintings there.

Hey tikirina, next time you're down Modesto way let us know. Love to meet you there.
Many of the velvets from Minnie's have been sold to private collectors. With some recent break-ins and PD lag time the owners feared they would be stolen so they sold most of them. There might be a few remaining. I need to make a 20 minute drive and revisit, it's been a while.

T

Wow we drove all the way from Portland to see the paintings at Minnies in Modesto, kind of out of the way. We were there last Oct. I sure wish we could have gotten one of them. Oh well

Their next exhibit will be Tiki Wonderland! It will feature the art of Edgar Leeteg, Burke Tyree, Charles McPhee, Bill Erwin, And Cecelia Rodriguez. It opens on June 12th and I plan on being there!

V
virani posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 1:32 PM

I got the book you did. Really nice.
I was happy to found it here in Paris.

RH

On 2008-05-28 22:24, tikirina wrote:
We have the beautiful painting by Robb Hamel, it is not in the museum yet but we are redoing one whole area to bring out all the tikis, wahines South Sea landscapes slated for June 12th, we put out our carvings and a 50's tiki bar, when we get it together we will post a pic. Thanks for sharing the Tyree oil painting he is one of the great velvet masters.Some of his work is at Minnie's in Modesto I was coveting all the paintings there.

Thanks very much for the info. I hope the book is doing well, I'll have mine soon. I MUST see your place somehow, 1,800 miles away or not.

Do you guys have the only velvet museum????

I can't wait to get my hands on that book.... They just got my painting this week. Here's the pic! It was inspired by my earlier piece "Up Lava River." This one is called "The Drummer":

T
Toshi posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2008 9:01 PM

Didn't Anthony Bourdain go to this place on No Reservations?

RH

The Velveteria was on CBS Sunday Morning. I thought Caren and Carl would have a lot of velvets, but they are CRAZY with them: mounds and stacks and piles! They really seemed awesome, too.

Drew and I went there this past weekend. Got to see Robb's painting in person. Now I want one even more!

Oh, and Heather. We saw her painting, as well. They were almost right next to each other.

Here's a piece CBS Sunday Morning did on the Velveteria. I'm in it at about the 4:19-4:23 mark, lurking behind the counter at SMUT in a red gingham shirt. Carl and Caren are really nice people and their museum should be supported.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qrHcUdgjclo

Noland

[ Edited by: crushenstein 2008-09-25 13:05 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies