Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

O/T - Al Jazzbo Collins

Pages: 1 6 replies

Going through my vinyl last night and found a long lost (well I forgot I had it) acetate/aluminium of Al Jazzbo Collins - hipster beatnik doing the 'Honey Earthers' and a 45RPM, 'Fairy Tales for hip kiddies'. Both very funny. Too far gone to save unfortunately.

Thought I'd ask the good folks here what they now about Jazzbo (Jazzbeaux) and can you tell me if there is anywhere I can lay my hands on more of his stuff. There is some vinyl on eBay, but I'd prefer CD. Vinyl is great, but usually doesn't make the trip down under too well (never thought I'd hear myself saying that).

I vaguely recall he had a radio gig from the Purple Grotto (Grotteaux)???

Any help gratefully recieved.

[ Edited by: Vonratnick 2008-05-19 16:50 ]

Wow, this brought back some fond memories. I haven't though about Jazzbeaux in years, but loved listening to his late-night show from the Purple Grotto back in the 80's on KSFO, San Francisco. Man, he played some good stuff and he was such a cool character. Thanks for reminding me of this icon. http://www.bayarearadio.org/audio/jazzbeaux/

-Weird Unc

S

On 2008-05-19 15:43, Vonratnick wrote:
Going through my vinyl last night and found a long lost (well I forgot I had it) acetate/aluminium of Al Jazzbo Collins - hipster beatnik doing the 'Honey Earthers' and a 45RPM, 'Fairy Tales for hip kiddies'. Both very funny. Too far gone to save unfortunately.

Thought I'd ask the good folks here what they now about Jazzbo (Jazzbeaux) and can you tell me if there is anywhere I can lay my hands on more of his stuff. There is some vinyl on eBay, but I'd prefer CD. Vinyl is great, but usually doesn't make the trip down under too well (never thought I'd hear myself saying that).

I vaguely recall he had a radio gig from the Purple Grotto (Grotteaux)???

Any help gratefully recieved.

[ Edited by: Vonratnick 2008-05-19 16:50 ]

Knew I saw that name before . I have a piece of vinyl entitled JAZZ AT THE METROPOLE CAFE which was recorded in the 50's sometime and features Cozy Cole ; Charlie Shavers ; Milt Hinton ; Benny Moten ; and others . Jazzbo does the narration and wrote the liner notes .

BTW ...and I don't know why ...but my father's nickname for me when I was a kid , was JAZZBO .

pretty sure I acquired a CASSETTE of this as a compilation in my thrift store journeys...will look thru my collection tonite

BM

why YES i DID ...but its a bit BEATNIKKY for me so am ebaying it RIGHT NOW--3 more days!!

BBMoondog, many thanks.

Macreeny O Voutey Mo!

i am SUPER GLAD this all worked out--us CASSETTE people need to stick together --i have HUNDREDS of them still..anachronistic technology but many are IRREPLACEABLE

Pages: 1 6 replies