Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents: Debut of the Floating Luau at The Purple Orchid on May 31st, 2008

Pages: 1 33 replies

Saturday May 31st, 2008 9PM $5 Cover

The Floating Luau has arrived just in time for Tiki Season. After four years at anchor in Echo Park, Ca. Tiki Taix, the longest running show in Tiki is setting sail for exotic Ports O’ Call. Our Floating Luau will be making stops all over Southern California. Our first Port is at the exotic Purple Orchid in El Segundo, Ca.

King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis return to the Purple Orchid for the debut of the Floating Luau! Malahini Marc and Riki Kon Tiki play original Hapa Haole tunes with the King to celebrate our Luau as it begins it’s journey floating from island to island. The standards will be played too as well as lots of surprises to keep everyone on their toes.

PLUS

Hot off the trail of the greatest Tiki Bars in the world, our traveling reporters Dave and Rebecca return to their native land The Purple Orchid with news from abroad, pictures, stories, and the inside scoop on the greatest Tiki bars of Europe. The jet lag won’t even be worn off as you get the latest news on what’s happening in the world of Euro Tiki!

ALSO

The Polynesian Paradise Dancers complete our crew as we set sail for the open seas and bring our luau to the islands of the World of Tiki! The Polynesian Paradise Dancers have traveled the world and performed on three continents throughout Asia, Eastern Europe and America. No Floating Luau would be complete without a touch of Polynesian Paradise.

AND

Iuka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents will join us on our journey! Who better to help kick off the Floating Luau then the man who helped inaugurate Tiki Taix in 2004. He has performed with his ukulele at the Tiki Oasis and at the very first Hukilau! Iuka Grogg was a frequent contributor to Tiki Taix and we hope he'll be floating along with the Luau as often as possible.

Come on down and grab a Mai Tai and a tune. See some hula on a Saturday night at the debut of The Floating Luau at the lovely Purple Orchid Exotic Tiki Lounge.

221 Richmond Sreet, El Segundo, CA. 90245

From the 405 take El Segundo Blvd. west, pass Sepulveda, pass Main Street, and turn right on Richmond Sreet.

From the 105 west, keep going until you see Main Street and turn left. Go to Grand Ave and turn right. Turn left on Richmond Street.

[ Edited by: KING KUKULELE 2008-05-27 13:25 ]

Woweee! The Floating Luau meanders its way to Purple Orchid! What a great venue and what great performers. I don't know how it could be any better!

-Weird Unc

if it was on Fri instead of Sat.
;-(

Sorry King, can't make it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHooWahine and I are looking forward to the new venue AND the new night AND the new time!!!!

weirduncletiki It just got better! If you've never seen Iuka Grogg of the Mai Kai Gents you won't be sorry...have you?

bigtikidude has the social calendar of a King or President. I've heard you say on many occasions that you are having a hard time figuring out how to get to all six shows on Saturday night... we'll see you at the next Luau.

SoccerTiki you got the right idea. Some Luaus are going to be earlier, some will be closer and the night of the week will not be locked in. Hopefully it will be easier for people to be part of the fun.

Wow! New Venue, New time and 3 days advance notice! Things are changing in the Kukulele Kingdom.

Three days advance notice is too long for someone with a short attention span. I'm working on it though, so much to do so little time. By the way, what would your ideal amount of advance notice be?

On 2008-05-27 20:58, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Three days advance notice is too long for someone with a short attention span. I'm working on it though, so much to do so little time. By the way, what would your ideal amount of advance notice be?

I think a week is good, although I should remember it's always on the last weekend of the month.

I'm not sure if the Tiki Gods are smiling on me or not... I can't be there to welcome back my friends, Dave and Rebecca, but only because I'm going to be in Florida doing some pre-Hukilau adventuring. But I'll be there in spirit. And, Dave and Rebecca, I'll see you when I get back and we'll swap stories and mix up some new drink concoctions!!! Aloha for now! Kari

I'm sure Dave And Rebecca will forgive you missing their homecoming. You have a solid excuse... you can give our regards to the Mai Kai this month and catch next months Floating Luau.

Is this going to be a monthly event at The Purple Orchid? I say ALOOOOHAAAA to that!

Looking forward to the floating luau in a Tiki Bar, particularly the Purple Orchid as it is always good to see Dave and Rebecca.

I am going to try to go to this!!

This is going to be a "Floating" Luau that will occasionally find it's way to the Purple Orchid but will be landing at every little Tiki nook you can find.

Dave and Rebecca are part of the show so you'll get a little bit extra from them than you're used to.

We'll be watching for The Sperm Whale too... is it true that your blowhole can spray 50 feet?

On 2008-05-30 10:29, KING KUKULELE wrote:
We'll be watching for The Sperm Whale too... is it true that your blowhole can spray 50 feet?

What happens in Vegas....well....you know what they say. :wink:

But I heard about the "Blowhole" in Laughlin! Man he gets around. Just remember to bring it to the Purple Orchid.

talk about a money shot,
damn,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Speaking of moneyshots, this show is 21 and over only!

Oh, that's right...Taix was a restaurant/bar so the kiddies could come along.
I actually have been working on the song on my uke, but as you know, I have a tendency to choke!

Since this is a 21 & over venue, the little ones stay home tonight. Future Floating Luaus will include some all-ages tiki venues for the littlest tiki-philes.

Cheeky Girl, bring your uke tonight & strum along! We'll see you tonight at the Purple Orchid!

WooHoo! It's finally Saturday. SoccerTiki, Al-ii, and I are looking forward to seeing everyone tonight. :)

Mucho Mahalos to Dave & Rebecca for hosting "The Floating Luau" at The Purple Orchid Last Night. King Kukulele and The Freaky Tiki's rocked the house :)

MG

Soccer Tiki should get his tongue pierced.......

Bummer, I'm sorry I missed this. I was feeling ill and couldn't muster enough energy. Damn it!

I want to to take a moment and thank Dave and Rebecca for a great time at
the Purple Orchid.It was my first time there and really had a blast.
Also want to give a shout out to King Kukulele for the great entertainment.
Looking forward to seeing King perform again at Tiki Oasis.
Mahalos
Trader Bill

S

Well, CRAP! I obviously fell down on checking the events board last week and MISSED THIS entirely! I was home early from Old Tony's on Sat nite and could've walked over to this from the house.

oy.

More notice next time, please (so I can put in on the calendar)!!!

T

On 2008-06-02 14:38, spycygrl wrote:
Well, CRAP! I obviously fell down on checking the events board last week and MISSED THIS entirely! I was home early from Old Tony's on Sat nite and could've walked over to this from the house.

oy.

More notice next time, please (so I can put in on the calendar)!!!

Are you talkin about Old Tony's on the Redondo Pier, as in the former location of "The Polynesian" ?

How is that place ? I've been meaning to check it out.

O

Great place Dave and Rebecca, great show King Kukulele!

Stayed on the Queen Mary , it took twenty minutes to take the freeway from Long Beach to El Segundo

[ Edited by: ojaitimo 2008-06-02 19:21 ]

S

Are you talkin about Old Tony's on the Redondo Pier, as in the former location of "The Polynesian" ?

How is that place ? I've been meaning to check it out.

Yep! Good ol' Old Tony's. The place never changes. The upstairs "crows nest" bar is pretty old skool with a nice 360 view of the pier, ocean, etc. There is a great one-man band dude who plays there on weekends. We actually ATE dinner with my Uncle and his girlfriend downstairs. The food is decent, but stay away from anything fried (ends up tasting like Gorton's of Gloucester). General fishing decor with a hint of polynesian flavor (nets on the ceiling, glass floats for lighting, etc.).

I did have the signature Mai Tai in collectible glass. A passable Mai Tai, but didn't pack the punch of most Mai Tais I've had. A little weak, honestly. The glasses are straight outta the 50's and they indeed "wrap up your glass" (as in, the very one you just drank out of) for you to take home. Between Boyfriend and I, we now have a set of four!

Definitely fun for a drink and some shrimp cocktail. Go early to get a table or a seat at the bar upstairs!

T

Thanx, Spicy...I'll have to check it out.

Damn, I love that Purple Orchid, I wish I could fit the Orchestra on that stage :(

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 12:42 AM

On 2008-06-01 18:19, MEAN GENE wrote:

On 2008-06-03 00:42, GROG wrote:

On 2008-06-01 18:19, MEAN GENE wrote:

Grog's Humerus! :P

I'm just wondering if that tongue is out for the ladies or for what Gene is doing behind ST (notice the sly smile)....some of us still remember (regrettably) the great gay yellow pages escapades of Tiki Caliente!

[ Edited by: Hinano_Paul 2008-06-03 09:23 ]

[ Edited by: Hinano_Paul 2008-06-03 09:24 ]

Pages: 1 33 replies