Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in the movie: "Interstate" With Pictures!

Pages: 1 4 replies

We watched the movie "Interstate" last night. It was terrible, but did have some tiki action in it!

There was also a great shot of what looked to be a route 66 landmark, that doesn't seem to exist. It's a burger joint called 'Jesus 66' which features a giant rotating burger being held up by a crucified Jesus. Can't get much better than that!

Here are some screenshots.

First, a tiki bobble head that looks to be of the Accoutrements variety, though I've never seen it before.

Second, a car pulls into this incredible tiki bar. Now to me, this looks like one our resident artist's paintings come to life, but maybe it does exist somewhere. The flames and flickering neon sign looked real, but the scene as a whole felt kind of computer generated.

Thirdly, at the front desk of the tiki motel, the lead actor has a bad trip on acid and sees a lightly painted dollar tree tiki dancing. This image is from the movie's website. The Accoutrements Moai in the background is pretty obvious.

Apparently this movie won a few awards on the film fest circuit, but I personally felt that that acting was terrible(apart from the one good actor, who dies early on). The main character was a whiny little wimp, and the movie got annoying, then boring, then ended with a sag. At least the ending was shot at a drive-in theater. I don't recommend it, unless you just want to see the tiki. Which, thanks to screen-shots, you just have.

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2008-05-27 15:11 ]

the tiki motel sign and hotel is real..it exists in tucson, az....the rest is fake computer generated nonsense....

..and honestly, in this day and age of religious nuts runnig amok all across the fruited plain, do you think a place called jesus 66 would last 2 seconds without some religious group of busy bodies picketing it and making a huge politcal stink over it throughout the various media??..I admit, it's very funny, and though this purports to be a free country...we ain't that free, baby.....what we need is to be free from religious zealots who still live in a superstuious dark age...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-27 15:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-27 15:30 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-27 15:31 ]

B

I second that motion Mr. McStagger - this coming from a life-long Atheist! You know, though, if there were a Jesus 66 burger joint like the one described, and the zealots got all in an uproar, well, what better advertisement can you get?! Happens every time! Look how many more people went to see that movie (I forgot the name already) about the altnerative life story of Jesus - what a hoot (the publicity I mean)!

..thanks..but i kinda started to get on an off topic rant....sorry!!..... and this wasn't an attack on you wahine!! I forgot to put the necessary grammatical indicators that i was replying in a humourous way earlier....

No worries dude, I totally agree. It wouldn't last a second, and if it did, we'd already know aboot it! It really was very cool

Neat to hear the tiki motel exists. They did do a pretty good job, making it look more tiki, at the very least.

Pages: 1 4 replies