Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

My Lanai San Mateo Tiki is in need of serious repair! Can you help me help him?!

Pages: 1 15 replies

L

Hi all.

I am a lurker with an injured Tiki. I purchased him many moons ago at the Lanai San Mateo auction. He was badly damaged when they ousted him from his old stomping grounds (he obviously did NOT want to be removed), and now it is finally time to return him to his former glory.

Here he is. Do you know someone who can repair him?

Many thanks.

Dina

I think it adds character to it.
as long as it doesn't fall over, don't worry about it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

I have to agree with Jeff.
A repair of that magnitude will look just like a repair.

L

I agree that the damage is part of his story and character. I've had him for nearly two decades as is. The problem is, he is really unstable. (He is leaning against the wall and the trunk in that picture). He used to be on display in my living room, but we adopted a blind dog and blind dog + unstable tiki is a bad combo! So the tiki had to be put in a safe location (closet) for the dog's safety. I hate keeping him in a closet. But I don't want to take a chance with the dog. Repair to make him stable seems like the best option. I read the posts on tiki repair, but I am not a DIY kind of gal. I need someone to do it for me!

L

Thinking more about your reactions to the idea of repairing my tiki made me wonder if I am approaching this issue from the wrong angle. Perhaps the better solution would be to add a bracket of some sort to the back of his head and secure him to the wall; to earthquake/blind-dog proof the tiki instead of repairing his base . . .

Better idea?

Dina

I like the idea of attaching him to the wall for stability, but I'd be afraid of drilling into his head to attach a bracket.

I think a concrete base might hold him steady. Maybe just a simple square base, or if you wanted to go fancy, it could be done with that doctored up concrete mix that would allow it to be carved into any desired shape. I'm not sure if that has enough weight to it though.

What city are you in?

L

That could work too. I wonder if it would be possible to fashion something that would allow me to place the tiki in it for stability, but would not have to actually be attached to him (sort of like a weighted umbrella stand in concept).

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I can travel anywhere in CA (or OR & NV if necessary). I see you are from Yucaipa. My blind dog came from a rescue in Yucapia (All Breed)! Small world.

On 2008-05-28 12:49, LuvTiki wrote:
That could work too. I wonder if it would be possible to fashion something that would allow me to place the tiki in it for stability, but would not have to actually be attached to him (sort of like a weighted umbrella stand in concept).

That's exactly what I had in mind. I think it could be done.

stabilize the tiki. meaning if it is dry rot on the bottom clean it out.go to the marine store,get some thing called git-rot. READ THE DIRECTIONS. it is like fiber glass resin,but it sets up real slow,giving it time to soak in . drys as hard as a rock.by the way this should be done upside down.after it drys ,a couple days, drill 2 holes in the bottom for 2 large dowells,that will go into a base big enough to give it a stable base. exposeing about 6-8 in. between the bottom of the tiki and the base. i hope you can picture what i am talking about .i am sure you seen what i mean at museums and such.it gives the look of preservation and not restoration ,if you know what i mean. good luck

If you want to bring it out to Turlock (2 hr. drive from San Mateo) I'll find a solution.

L

That would be extremely cool! (Or hot, depending on the time of year) :wink:

Turlock is easy -- one of my best friends lives in Modesto! I could make an event out of this. She was actually with me on the Lanai's last night (a night during which we did our best to smuggle tiki treasures out the door), so it is as if everything is coming full circle.

My Tiki is very appreciative. As am I.

(I Liked the resin idea but it is wayyyy beyond what I am capable of doing)!

Check your PM Luv.

On a related note, I purchased the two tikis in the lower right corner of this pic, from a lady on eBay who said she bought them at the Lanai auction. These are pretty cool looking, the picture does not do them justice...

L

NICE Find! I'm jealous. The Lanai is near and dear to my heart. I learned to drink there before I was 21! (Everyone looked 21 in the dark bar.) I have a carved spear from the Lanai that seems to be of the same type (at least from what I can tell from the pictures). I'll try to remember to take a picture of it.

Dina

Ive got another idea. I have a masters in museum studies. and to approach this from the stand point of displaying and stabilizing without changing the current character of the piece. I suggest a base/ stand combo. a base with a support up the back and some pieces to cradle the tiki from the back. This way will display the tiki upright without putting any holes in it or adding the wrong material for a "repair"

L

I like that idea a lot too. I think I know what you mean -- kind of like a stand that doll collectors use to display their dolls?

Pages: 1 15 replies