Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

what kind of wood??

Pages: 1 6 replies

K

When I was at the International Market at Oahu 18 months ago, a man was carving a tiki. The wood had a centre of a dark brown (nearly black) with the outside ring of the wood pine colored. I purchased a similar tiki but did not ask the wood variety. What variety would that be?

Mahalo fron Canada

V

I have a tiki of similar color from Tiki Master, and it is carved out of Hau wood - a native plan from Hawaii. Maybe that is what you have?

http://www.canoeplants.com/hau.html

K

could it possibly be "Siamese cassia"? Since ater looking often on the web, this is the closest match. If there any local Hawaiians out there, maybe someone knows this man and would know the wood he uses. Any answers from anybody is much appreciated.
Mahalo

B

Welcome to TC Kolidra, I hope we can find your answer. Could you post a picture of the tiki so we might be able to ID the wood?
Thanks.

K

On 2008-05-31 08:20, Benzart wrote:
Welcome to TC Kolidra, I hope we can find your answer. Could you post a picture of the tiki so we might be able to ID the wood?
Thanks.

Here is the Tiki. does anybody know what king of wood it is? There is no paint on it.

Looks very close to Pheasant Wood, or maybe Macassar Ebony. Argentine Afata Wood is lighter but has the same qualities. Can't see the grain in the photo so I can't be sure.

K

On 2008-06-02 13:19, Tikilizard wrote:
Looks very close to Pheasant Wood, or maybe Macassar Ebony. Argentine Afata Wood is lighter but has the same qualities. Can't see the grain in the photo so I can't be sure.

The closest match on the web was Siamese Cassia (Pheasant wood). That helps alot. Just what I was leaning towards. Thanks. Also, does anybody know the man that carves at the International market in Waikiki?...and the wood he uses as well?

Pages: 1 6 replies