Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first carving

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

Here is my Samoan axe...carved in black (swamp) ash wood. 40 hrs+ total and my house centre-piece.

Looks gorgeous! How about some more, larger pics?

WOW! You got the ancients in your blood no doubt. How big is it? Hard to tell from the image.
Welcome to TC kolidra.

"Careful With That Axe Eugene" Pink Floyd

Very nice! Yes, need bigger pic to show off the detail

K

larger as requested

S

Welcome, Nice first carve.

B

Ditto those guys, Welcome to TC and Excellent first piece. I wish MY first ten were half as good as your first!

Very cool! What tools did ya use? Where'd ya get the wood? Are ya gonna make more? Where ya from? Are ya gonna post, post, post more???!

K

On 2008-06-01 18:08, surfintiki wrote:
Very cool! What tools did ya use? Where'd ya get the wood? Are ya gonna make more? Where ya from? Are ya gonna post, post, post more???!

The wood is black (swamp) ash and it is locally wild here and cut by my dad. The tools...glue, clamps, router, belt sander, paint and a basic set of detail chisels. I am no carver but I take extra time to make up for skill. My next carving I am working on is a Tiki copy of Ku or Kane (I'm struggling to differentiate visually and the Web makes me more confused).
Im from Ontario Canada. Have been to Hawaii (just mainly Waikiki though) 4 times. I am now just trying to learn more about it. Firstly starting with endemic or Polynesian introduced plants. That fascinates me since Hawaii is or one of the most secluded places in the world and therefore the evolution of some plants are the most unique....and most wanted...Acacia Koa.
Oh and by the way....here at Wal-mart, the new spring lawn ornaments showed up at the store. They have a variety of everything that was the solar-light types. All still remain in huge quantities for sale except one style that sold out RIGHT-AWAY....the Polynesian style Tiki!!

That can't be your first carving....?? Sweet! Someone has some talent, Very nice. Let's see some more. Oh, and Welcome!

Pages: 1 9 replies