Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bo Diddley RIP

Pages: 1 3 replies

Bo Diddley the creator of the exotic jungle rhythm rock’n’roll sound is dead - RIP

The cnn news link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/diddley.obit/index.html

an incredible live performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzn7VyoqEw

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2008-06-02 13:06 ]

N
Naneki posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2008 1:16 PM

On 2008-06-02 13:04, lemonsqueezer wrote:
Bo Diddley the creator of the exotic jungle rhythm rock’n’roll sound is dead - RIP

I met him back stage at the Arlington in Santa Barbara about 20 years ago. I was waiting with some prime vinyl for Mary Wells. Someone tapped me on my shoulder. I turned around and I was face to face with Bo Diddley!!!

He politely asked me if I had change for the coke machine.

My mind raced with thoughts like "BO DIDDLEY!!! BO DIDDLEY!!! IT'S BO DIDDLEY!!! BO DIDDLEY!!! BO DIDDLEY!!! HE ASKED ME A QUESTION!!! BO DIDDLEY ASKED ME A QUESTION!!! ANSWER HIM!!! ANSWER HIM!!! ANSWER BO DIDDLEY'S QUESTION!!!

In the smallest voice you can imagine, I actually said "No I don't Mr. Diddley."

True Story

Sweet man. Very polite with back stage imbecils.

Dear moderator, why did you remove this topic?

Bo Diddley made original exotic music, He create THE jungle Rhythm (also covered by Dick Dale & countless others).

Sure there is no Polynesian connection but classic exotica jazz pop like Les Baxter (and I say Les Baxter not M. Denny) doesn't have any Polynesian connections either, or does it?

In the forum it says discussion for: Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Vocals & Standards, Bump & Grind, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly

If you remove this topic you must remove Bump & Grind (or does it mean something else than the stuff that you find on a Jungle Exotica or a Las Vegas Grind comp??? please let me know) &

.. and if it's allowed to discuss rockabilly you can't move bo either if you had in mind what a big role rocking blues plays in today's rockabilly scene. Nearly every rockabilly band today plays blues boppers, and the rockabilly djs playing blues boppers like Bo's huckleberry bush for the rockabilly crowd.. (I wonder if this is different in the us?)

[ Edited by: lemonsqueezer 2008-06-03 17:01 ]

I still believe that the exotic jungle groove from mr. bo is a subject that should be discussed here in the music section. He did create a beat that "has the sultry, sexual power of Africa" (Iggy Pop). Aren't there parallels to Witcos Jungle Room or Denny's Afrodesia? If you make a list with African/Jungle related exotica things from the 50s.. will you exclude the bo beat?

I wouldn't include Bo on an classic exotica mix cd but I would include him on a mix that goes into the 'Jungle Exotica Comp direction' of mid and up tempo novelty exotica rock'n'roll tunes..

I am still searching on anything that has something from the bo beat that was created before Bo (in the latin / African etc. music field) but I still couldn't find anything. Anyone?

bo had an exotic spirit...

Pages: 1 3 replies