Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Classic Bars of NY Tour Part II

Pages: 1 16 replies

UT

I am shooting for June 28 if that is good for most people.

The Bar at the Bull and Bear
Waldorf Astoria, 301 Park Avenue

Best known for its beautiful mahogany bar, the Waldorf Astoria's Bull & Bear is also credited with creating the Robb Roy and the Bronx Cocktail. The Bull & Bear keeps investment bankers and financial types comfortable with a stock-market ticker and tables the color of money.

Algonquin Hotel, 59 West 44th Street

The landmark hotel in midtown New York City was destined to be at the center of New York 's literary and theatrical life. In the early years, illustrious clients such Douglas Fairbanks, the Barrymores, William Faulkner, and Gertrude Stein patronized the hotel and its eateries. The best known, perhaps, were the members of the Round Table -- who lunched daily at the The Algonquin's Rose Room for 10 years, beginning in 1919. Today, discover luxurious midtown New York City hotel suites that celebrate these literary giants. Members of the legendary Round Table included:
o Dorothy Parker. Poet, short-story writer, Oscar-nominated screenwriter for original A Star Is Born, but most famous for her scintillating and scathing putdowns: “That woman speaks five languages, and can't say no in any of them.”
o Robert Benchley. Parker's best chum, drama critic, writer for The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, and Life. However, his legacy is the collection of hilarious brief films he made in Hollywood – among the “The Treasurer's Report.”
o Franklin Pierce Adams. It was his column – “The Conning Tower” – that regaled his readers to the daily goings-on among the Round Table regulars. Later, he became a panelist, along with Oscar Levant and Clifton Fadiman, on the highbrow radio show, “Information Please.”
o Robert Sherwood. Friend of Parker and Benchley, he went on to more serious pursuits, as he garnered Pulitzer Prizes for the plays Idiot's Delight, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, There Shall Be No Night , and Roosevelt and Hopkins: An Intimate History – plus a screenwriting Oscar for The Best Years of Our Lives.
o Harpo Marx. Renowned for his comedic genius, Harpo was part of the famous Marx Brothers team and starred in George Kaufman films, such as Coconuts and Animal Crackers.
o Harold Ross. The son of a Colorado silver miner and a Yankee schoolmarm, he went on to found The New Yorker, a weekly that would forever change the American magazine. Every Algonquin guest receives a complimentary copy.
o Alexander Woollcott. The guest of honor at the first meeting of the Round Table – a mock welcome home from World War I, during which he wrote for Stars & Stripes from Paris – Woollcott returned to his post as a drama critic for the New York Times. He had an eye for talent, having boosted the careers of Fred Astaire and Paul Robeson, among others.
o George S. Kaufman. Among his Broadway plays are The Royal Family , Dinner at Eight, Stage Door, Of Thee I Sing, You Can't Take It With You, and The Man Who Came to Dinner – all collaborative efforts. Film work included such Marx Brothers classics as A Night at the Opera.
o Heywood Brown. This champion of the underdog and Harvard dropout was a sportswriter and drama critic, and is renowned for his support of unpopular causes – among them the Sacco and Vanzetti case. He founded the American Newspaper Guild.
o Marc Connelly. Connelly gravitated to Broadway from his Pittsburgh roots, and his first efforts included co-authorship with Kaufman of Dulcy and Merton of the Movies. He won a Pulitzer Prize for Green Pastures, and later pursued an acting career on stage, film, and television.
o Edna Ferber. Although a latecomer to the Round Table, she achieved great success with such novels as So Big (Pulitzer), Show Boat (reaping huge royalties from Broadway and Hollywood productions), Cimarron, and Giant. Plays include Dinner at Eight and Stage Door, co-authored with Kaufman.

The Blue Bar:

The Lobby Bar:

**21 Club, 21 W 52nd St **

Formerly an elegant speakeasy, now a classic New York Bar and Restaurant.

Campbell Apartment, Grand Central Station**

John W. Campbell, chairman of the Credit Clearing House, moved into this space in Grand Central Station in 1923, using it as an office by day, and a place to entertain wealthy socialites by night.
The signature cocktail at Campbell Apartment is called Prohibition Punch, and features rum, Grand Marnier, passion fruit juice, and is topped with Moet. It's delicious, and packs a woozy wallop.

[/img]

Almost missed this post. I can make the 28th.

id be interested
Might have to jump in later in the eve - but I ain't scared.
Ray if it happens PM me your cell - To be safe and I'll ring you guys to find you en route.

If it doesn't happen lets pick a bar to hang all might?

K

Can't wait for a swanky night of boozin' with our peeps!

Carry on!
-Kiki and Fang

Should we wear the jackets again, like last time?

On 2008-06-23 12:46, Looie Kalua wrote:
Should we wear the jackets again, like last time?

Probably. But I'm not sure if any of these joints require them.

What about pants?

K

What time are we meeting, and where???

Does Fang need to wear a tie, along with a jacket?

cheers,
Kiki

T

I can't wait!

Yeah, what is the suggested attire? Same as last time?

Jack

id wear a jacket if needed but not so sure about pants!

any words on this event start or tour plan?

how was it? Any photos?

You haven't missed it yet. It tomorrow, Sneakyjack. Can you make it?

oops its now
let me know how it went.

Rusty knot or Elitteria anyone during the upcoming short week?
tuesday eve - maybe?

Sorry Jack, I'm tied up tomorrow. We'll try to organize something in the next week or two.

I tried Rusty Knot last week. I wasn't overly impressed. The crowd was almost entirely mid 20s singles with attitude -- looked like an "OC" casting call. I got the impression it must be a cool place to be for the "first advertising or banking job in the big city" crowd. Made me feel old!! :(

The drinks were just OK -- I had a couple of their 'famous' spiced pina coladas and it basically tasted like the ones I make myself at home -- coco loco, pineapple juice and Captain Morgan. kinda mousy looking, the texture was pretty good though and they do serve them in coconut mugs.

But count me in for a visit to Elettaria!

Reminder: Otto's July 5th!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 3:57 PM

May I recommend Keen's Steakhouse (c. 1885) for a future visit:

http://www.keens.com/

Me at Keen's, which is full of clay churchwarden pipes, many from famous people. You used to be able to smoke from your pipe after your meal, or in the bar.

If you like lamb I recommend the "mutton" chop, which is actually a huge lamb chop.

Thanks for the advice - we have spoken about doing a future tour of the cocktail bars of classic NYC steak joints. Just need to work out a few logistics...

Keen's also has a HUGE list of single malt scotches.

...I need to upload pictures from the Classic Bar II event...

Pages: 1 16 replies