Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's Mug Query

Pages: 1 3 replies

W

At the Goodwill today I picked up a TV's mug that has a raised painted relief of peoples having a good time beneath the sun. The background glaze is off white with a brown splatter speckle all over it. "1963 TRADER VIC'S" on the bottom. I've seen this mug pictured on an auction or a site...Is it properly called the "Sun Worshipper" mug? What's it worth? I paid $16...The most I've ever paid for a mug. I thought the thing was incredibly ugly, looking very much like some great aunt's ceramic creation from a 1975 community center class. Although I love Trader Vic's stuff I actually bought it with trade in mind, but I've sort of become attached to it. Like one does with an ugly puppy.

T

I think the one you have is the same as this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2108143701

$16 is a good price; you could get a few more $ for it on ebay, but if you like it, keep it!

~ tikigreg

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2002-06-02 09:44 ]

W

The auction is over and by no bids I see that the mug isn't even worth $19.95. But as I now like the mug quite a bit I think its true value is in the lesson it taught me: One doesn't always need a lot of liquor to make something ugly seem beautiful. But in case one does, this mug holds 19 ounces.

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2002-06-05 01:51 ]

T

I've seen the same mug go for over $30 on ebay. It all depends on who's looking at the time. But like I said, if you like it, keep it!

Pages: 1 3 replies