Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Ventura County

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

N

I'm noticing more and more tikiphiles here from Ventura County. Anybody up for some informal get-togethers?

Naneki

(We could meet under the palms in the empty parking lot and commune with the ghost of the Trade Winds.)

T

Wow,
I never thought I'd see another Tiki Central member from Camarillo but its true! Bongofury and I are in Camarillo. He's talked about a party at the Rincon Room in September, but not sure yet. Here's a link to his backyard, which is only a hint at his whole collection!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18053&forum=18&start=105

O

September party at the Rincon Room? Yeah baby!

I missed this post.....another 805er.......yeah! A get together would be nice, maybe not in the parking lot, but at the brew-pub across the street from the Tradewinds. Or here. And yes......there may be an Endless Summer....

RR

I'm always up for a local gathering.

The Eliminators play at the Ventura Co Fair August 1. Get tiki!

I vote for an endless summer!!!!

N

On 2008-06-30 17:58, bongofury wrote:
A get together would be nice, maybe not in the parking lot, but at the brew-pub across the street from the Tradewinds.

Isn't interesting (or perhaps, pathetic) that The Tradewinds is gone, the Esplanade is gone, soon the rest of the Wagon Wheel will be gone and the g*dd@mn Disco building is still there!

While the Tradewinds is long gone, it is not the only thing missing from the Gold Coast. Also missing in action:

The Hideaway
The Missle
The Las Vegas Room
The Crow's Nest
Ted Hughes' Tiki Club
The Somoan Hut
and........

TC A Go Go

All former Oxnard drinkeries......I will try to post images and info on these lovely dives soon....

N

On 2008-07-15 19:43, bongofury wrote:
While the Tradewinds is long gone, it is not the only thing missing from the Gold Coast. Also missing in action:

The Hideaway
The Missle
The Las Vegas Room
The Crow's Nest
Ted Hughes' Tiki Club
The Somoan Hut
and........

TC A Go Go

What was the name of the bar by the airport in Oxnard on 5th Street? I used to drive by it in the 80's.

[ Edited by: Naneki 2008-07-23 12:45 ]

Oh! Oh! Can I vote for an Endless Summer?
I live in Thousand Oaks but have a studio within a stones throw from the Rincon Room does that count?

T

Hey Banana, is this your backyard? Is this the original tiki from the old photo or a copy? I've always loved that old photo.

ENDLESS SUMMER IN RINCON!!!!!! Beachcomber shack, hodads, and a lagoon!

On 2008-07-22 21:40, tikitony wrote:

Hey Banana, is this your backyard? Is this the original tiki from the old photo or a copy? I've always loved that old photo.

Yes it is the original tiki from the old Tonga Lei, I restored it and mounted it on that post. It was almost styrofoam by the time I found it buried in 10' of bamboo. I used West System epoxy to make it whole again. It's a Client's backyard, over just off Carmen.
Here is the old picture Sabu posted for me.

Hot Dang! Primer Nats and the Rincon Room. I cannot wait!

Naneki......the one by the airport was Ted Hughes Tiki Club.

O

Another location but it wasn't open to the public or enlisted.

I'd love to see a photo of the officers club at Point Mugu Naval Air Staton in 1965.
Shortly after the Trade Wind's opened, my mother Ione decorated the O club for the Navy.
As popular as Tiki was then, I'm pretty sure she decorated it in Tiki. They would have used Oceanic Arts so maybe Bob and Leroy have pictures or a record of the items.

N

I think we should plan a get-together when the new Bev Mo opens in Ventura.

On 2010-12-09 12:24, Naneki wrote:

Interesting trigger, but why not?

N

On 2010-12-10 07:09, bananabobs wrote:

On 2010-12-09 12:24, Naneki wrote:

Interesting trigger, but why not?

Hey, I figured we'd all be there checking out the rum and other spirits, so why not plan to meet. It looks like it will be bigger than the one in your 'hood.

I would be happy to open the Rincon Room up for a post Bev Mo shopping spree.

Too funny, I just got back from the new Bev Mo in Santa Barbara with a haul of Barbancourt,Appleton Estate, Cruzan and Myers rums for tonight's mix-off. Even though I am in SB County I would be up for a meet and greet with the Ventura County ohana.

DC

H

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2010-12-10 20:12 ]

N

On 2010-12-10 17:02, Dustycajun wrote:
Too funny, I just got back from the new Bev Mo in Santa Barbara with a haul of Barbancourt,Appleton Estate, Cruzan and Myers rums for tonight's mix-off. Even though I am in SB County I would be up for a meet and greet with the Ventura County ohana.

DC

Where's the BevMo in Babs?

(I spent most of my adult life--so far--in the Santa Barbara metroplex.)

So when is the opening?

T

Hey, Onxard here! We should do a Ventura County Home Tiki Bar Tour!

D

Another Camarillo tikiphile here. I think there are probably more of us in the county than we think. A get-together would be a wonderful way to know each other.

RR

On 2011-01-07 12:58, daddyeo wrote:
Another Camarillo tikiphile here. I think there are probably more of us in the county than we think. A get-together would be a wonderful way to know each other.

Yes there are.

B

We had a get together in August. Only a couple of locals showed up.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36703&forum=17&hilite=rincon%20room

I think the Ventura BevMo is set to open next week on Friday April 1.....

I

Crap I'm in the bay area.
Where else could we meet for a VentraOxnardCamarillo tiki social!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2011-03-24 14:37 ]

A friend went by the new store and said the shelves were being stocked and they had a banner out front for the April 1 opening.

N

On 2011-03-25 06:50, bongofury wrote:
A friend went by the new store and said the shelves were being stocked and they had a banner out front for the April 1 opening.

BevMo opening and the Wagon Wheel being bulldozed. sigh

I'll be over there tonight and double check the opening date. We'll meet in the rum aisle. :D

The Wagon Wheel was bulldozed?

Wow! It has been a long time since I have been up that way.

Wagon Wheel was bulldozed this week. Just a big pile of rubble now. Some of the brick fireplaces are still standing. If anyone wants to get together Friday (I am off work) let us know.

On 2011-03-26 09:02, bongofury wrote:
Wagon Wheel was bulldozed this week. Just a big pile of rubble now. Some of the brick fireplaces are still standing. If anyone wants to get together Friday (I am off work) let us know.

Ron,

Sad to hear about the Wagon Wheel, I admired it just a few weeks ago as I drove south.

Dang, I can't make Friday, its opening day of Lingcod season and I am going off-shore fishing. Maybe next time.

DC

N

Yep. They bulldozed the Wagon Wheel. We might be able to liberate a few actual wagon wheels or pieces of wagon wheels. But otherwise it's now a big pile of rubble. The neon signs are still there and I think (hope) that someone has claimed them.

So do we want to meet at BevMo on Friday at--say--6. Or wait until Saturday?

Anybody go to the new place in Thousand Oaks?

Edited to add:

There are some great oak shelve available at Borders in the Esplanade. Perfect for mug display. They're 7.5' X 3' X 7" deep. They're $48 out the door. The store is picked clean and the deals on books and such aren't great. But you might want to check out the shelving.

[ Edited by: Naneki 2011-03-28 12:31 ]

[ Edited by: Naneki 2011-03-28 12:31 ]

In last weeks paper the San Buenaventura conservancy guy said "demolition may not be eminent" but the city of Oxnard gave the developers the go ahead and they wasted no time. Oxnard is famous for taking the money & running. Still have not seen the results of the DA & FBI raid here... http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/aug/13/da-serves-search-warrant-at-oxnard-city-hall/ Can't wait til they start tearing down the old Starbucks & WalMarts for something newer. Golf Courses are a waste of Real Estate too.....more condos. It will be so nice when I can go to any town in America and feel like I am in my town. I will never have to travel....think of all the money I will save!

We have been to Total Wine & More in Thousand Oaks.....just like BevMo but a litter bigger with a few different things. They did have Orange Curacao from Curacao (22.99) and good prices on Zaya (23.99) and Mount Gay Extra Old (34.99) but not the selection of a Hi Times or Wine & Liquor Depot (no Demarara). Worth checking out.

Looks like not a lot of enthusiasm for a local get together but we will be home (taking care of Mom post surgery). Friday is still open and we would also entertain Saturday if that works better (we already have a couple of TCers committed for that day) so let us know what works for you so we can plan accordingly......no band, just good weather and a Drifter's Reef is waiting....I will probably BBQ something. PM for address.

We may not have our party this year so ....

Bongo, would have contacted you, would never miss a chance to be at your place, we were all passing around that terrible stomach flu. Figured you would rather pass... Thanks, be there next time. (Mom doing okay I hope)

Hey VTA County folks I have begun spinning MP3s at Billy O's in Ventura the First Wed of each month......now the drinks aren't up to our ussual standards but I am spinning lounge, exotics, swing, downbeat, rat pack and similar. If your interested check out the facebook link and swing by

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146558358748044&pending

I will be spinning more great tunes tonight so drop on by if your free......

T

Am I too late to the Ventura Tiki party?

I

If there was a Ventura Tiki Party.....

https://www.facebook.com/Ventiki?fref=ts

While waiting for Ventiki to open I would recommend these local events...

This weekend with The Blasters, Robert Gordon, Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters) and the Dead Presidents, Junior Brown, and many more....

http://www.roadshowrevival.com/

This is a great small venue at a Mexican Restaurant downtown that features Blues and R & B almost every Friday night. Next week has Deke Dickerson and the Ecco-Fonics!

http://www.hihatentertainment.com/

Next month is the long awaited turn of the Surf Rodeo...

http://www.surfrodeo.org/

T

On 2013-06-11 12:42, bongofury wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Ventiki?fref=ts

While waiting for Ventiki to open I would recommend these local events...

This weekend with The Blasters, Robert Gordon, Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters) and the Dead Presidents, Junior Brown, and many more....

http://www.roadshowrevival.com/

I'm disappointed to miss this, but I'm playing a gypsy gig in Simi today. Love The Blasters, and a fan of Robert Gordon from the Danny Gatton Humbler years. Junior puts on a good show - last saw him at the Santa Monica Pier with James Intveld.

[ Edited by: Tele295 2013-06-15 13:15 ]

Robert "Black Slacks" Gordon & the Blasters!
now that's a show.

I

Apparently some bar is opening in the Ventura. There is a separate thread. The establishment is known as "Ventiki". You have no excuses now.

T

On 2013-07-10 13:09, IKABOD wrote:
You have no excuses now.

Once it finally opens. I am fasting from alcohol until that happens. That'll teach 'em to delay!

If you are in town today you can swing by the Ojai Valley Museum for a free reception between 5-7pm. There are a couple of the local collections of interest. One is Disney and the other is Papua New Guinea carvings. If you want to wait a week or so for Ventiki to open it is only $5.00.

http://www.ojaivalleymuseum.org

Thanks Ron. I didn't know that Ojai had a Museum.

DC

Pages: 1 2 49 replies