Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Help- How do I attach thatch to brick?

Pages: 1 2 replies

J

Mrs Lord has given me the green light to tikify our sun porch. Its an addition to our 52 ranch house that the prior owners built. There are two brick walls that are part of the original structure.

I would like to cover those walls with thatch or maybe bamboo fencing. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to adhere such materials to brick?

Thanks very much!

if you want the stuff to fall off the wall..go ahead and just adhere it...

if you want it to last, you need to attache with screws, strips of wood that run the length of the wall....once these horizontal furing strips (about 1.5" wideby , .50" thick) are in ..you can nail, staple or pin what ever you want to them -place strips about 1 foot to 16 inches of space between strips or use whatever distance you feel will give you the room you need. the stuff you are attaching is relatively lightweight so you don't need to over do the strips....just put up what you think you need to hold whatever you want to put on it....

and as an added bonus....if you ever plan to sell your home, all the strips can be removed cleanly, with only holes to fill in the mortar....

and another bonus..if the weather takes its toll on your thatch, simply remove worn thatch from the strips and place a new one in it's place....

beats the hell out of messy gluing...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-06 12:44 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-06 12:45 ]

J

Sounds like the way to go.

Thanks Tipsy!

Pages: 1 2 replies