Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Hawaii, the Big Island in June any updated must-sees?

Pages: 1 10 replies

MA

Aloha. My wife and I will be going to the Big Island in June and were wondering if there are any updates to the must-sees previously posted on TC or any new suggestions? Mahalo in advance.

Brian,
If on the Kona side of the island, I would suggest these things:

1. Don the Beachcomber at the Royal Kona Resort. Nice looking hotel with great views as you dine & drink at DTB. Some comments indicated the prices to be high at DTB, but we are used to prices like that in the Bay Area. Be sure to check the times of operation; daytime is the outside bar and evenings are inside their cool restaurant. And buy a mug and hat!!
  2. Place of Refuge (Pu'uhonua O' Honaunau) about 30 minutes south of Kona-town is a MUST SEE! Take your snorkeling gear with you so you can check out the sea creatures in the nearby bay.
  3. Stop by and say Aloha to Jason and Thomas at Bamboo Too in Kona-town. They are extremely nice guys who run a fantastic "home improvement" shop dedicated to Polynesian supplies (bamboo, thatch, etc). They stock stuff I had never heard of before; even if you are not going to buy anything, it's worth getting ideas and see all their cool supplies in stock.
  4. Be sure to check out any Farmer's Markets. You can usually find some very wonderful things that the big supermarkets don't carry.

Have a Blast!!
Myke

Ahu Ena Heiau, Kona @ King Kamehameha Beach Hotel

This very well restored religious site is easily visible on a small promontory around the bay from Kailua Pier. This was the personal heiau of King Kamehemeha the Great. It is now located on the grounds of the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel but the public are allowed visit the site during the day. Reconstructed by King Kamehameha the Great between 1812-1813, the Ahu'ena Heiau is one of the most important of Hawaii's historic sites. The heiau was dedicated to the god, Lono, who was the Hawaiian God of peace, agriculture and prosperity. Several tall ki'i akua (statues of gods) stand guard around the perimeter of the main building. Members of Kamehameha's council often met with him here as this was the seat of his government until he died in 1819. There are a number of Information plaques located around the site which fill you in on the history of the place as you stroll around its grounds. The Hotel puts on guided tours and Lu'aus here.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/sites/ahuena_heiau.html

[ Edited by: christiki295 2008-06-07 02:18 ]

AT

Aloha Brian,
There are plenty of good recommendations already going on here, many Mahalos to Myke for mentioning the shop I work at as a place of interest.
Please do stop by (Tue - Sat) and check us out, we would be thrilled to cruise on down to Don's for a Pau Hana cocktail (or 3) with you.
While you are on Island also feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding beaches, dining, or whatevers.
Look forward to meeting more of the Tikicentral peoples.

Myke - hope your able to make it out in July. See you then.

AT

Oh yeah - if you surf, please Pray to your surf gods before you come. Summertime is renowned for long lulls of absolutely no surf.
Flat as a lake is an odd sight to see when your are in the middle of the ocean. But it happens here often.

St. Benedict's - the Painted Church, just South of Kona.
There is a Tiki shop along the highway on the inland side of the street.

AT

The Painted Church is a neat place, very near the City of Refuge (Pu'uhonua O Honaunau) -so you can catch both in one day.
The church is very small and spending about a half hour there should suffice for most.
Cristiki - where is the Tiki shop you are mentioning?
Something I need to check out since it's in my neighborhood.

[i]On 2008-06-09 13:09, Alii Tiki wrote:
Cristiki - where is the Tiki shop you are mentioning?
Something I need to check out since it's in my neighborhood.

I wish I could be more specific, but it is South of the Sheraton towards the area where St. Benedict's is located. I believe either the sign says "Tiki" or there were Tikis outside. It is on the inland side of street - the north direction. It is half a jewelry store. It is owned by a husband and wife and the husband is very into Tiki. I spent almost an hour talking to him about Hawaiiana and Tiki.

I think there may have been a small market and a design store around. It is located in a very mini shopping stretch.

MA

Mahalo to Myke (Tikiwinebear), Christiki, and Alii Tiki!!!!

These are great suggestions. My wife and I will be going next week and are looking forward to checking these places out as we are both into the culture and history of Hawaii. We're also into cocktails so Alii Tiki it'll be great to meet for some at Don's. Once were there and know our schedule, I'll PM you.
Mahalo again!!!!
Brian

T

Don the beachcomber's, of course. The Royal Kona Resort that houses it is a great example of classic Tiki. hang there in the Mai Tai bar and watch the sunset...awesome.

Place of refuge of Course.

Volcano National Park.
Hike out to the lava flow if it's within reasonable hiking distance.
Hike down into Kilauea Crater too...awesome.

Black Sand beach in Punalu'u.

Akaka Falls

Hapuna Beach in North Kona...Amazing Beach

Eat at Huggos (the bar section) with your toes in the sand. Very relaxing.

Hike down to Onomea Bay just north of Hilo

Waipio Valley. Take the hike if you're up for it. Otherwise there are Vans that can take you down. I've never been down thhere, but I hear it's amazing at the bottom.

There's more...I'll add more later.

Best thing to do is get "The Big Island Revealed" book.

K

Where to begin????? I lived there for 4 years and am still fascinated by the place. If you're planning to drive around the entire island in one day it will take about 10 hours by the time you stop and such. Heck Volcano National Park is a entire day trip in and of itself. If Kilauea is spewing out lava it probably will take a couple hours to hike out to the spot where it empties into the ocean and back to your car. When in Waimea, stop by the Parker Ranch Restaurant. The Big Island is for the sightseeing not so much the lay at the beach all day crowd. bahahahhaha If you went in January you may have lucked out and had been able to drive up to the top of Mauna Kea and see the snow. I remember one Saturday at the University of Hawaii Hilo some guys in the dorm drove their truck up there, filled the bed with snow, drove down to the dorms and we had a snow ball fight in 80 degree weather. IF you're on the Hamakua Coast stop by Texeira's Drive-in in Honokaa for lunch. Downtown Hilo is interesting, some buildings have been renovated, some are still in ruins. It's an experience that you'll enjoy.

[ Edited by: Kolohe 2008-06-14 08:14 ]

[ Edited by: Kolohe 2008-06-14 08:16 ]

[ Edited by: Kolohe 2008-06-14 08:17 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies