Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Santa Monica - July 4th weekend

Pages: 1 14 replies

MA

My wife and I are planning on visiting Santa Monica on the July 4th weekend. Any tips of things to see and do that weekend?

If you have a car:

Tiki Ti is a must, but it's across town on the other side of Hollywood. Show up early or you'll wait in line. You may want to check to see if they're open that weekend.

Santa Monica pier is worth a visit. It's been in a gazillion films. The carousel was in "The Sting" and Iron Man took a spin over it during the big flight test.

I'm fond of Tito's Tacos in Culver City. (Wife isn't) Ask for tacos with cheese.

Do the Venice Boardwalk. Walk it. There's probably going to be lots of interesting people and things to see that weekend.

I don't know if it's still open, but "The Circle" on Lincoln in Venice was my favorite dive bar when I lived in Culver City.

Casa Del Mar is a magnificent hotel. Plan on having cocktails there at sunset.

Dine at Mirasol restaurant on the Santa Monica pier. You will surrounded by water and waves. Very enchanting.

Monsoon restaurant on the 3rd Street Promenade is somewhat Balinese Tropical and features a nightclub with live music, including Salsa dancing, Reggae and Funk on various nights.

The Venice canals, between Washington and Venice, just west of Dell St. should not be missed.

Montana Ave. is a nice street to stroll.

The closest Tiki Bar is Trader Vics Lounge. Drive east on Wilshire, just past Westwood and the golf course. It is in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

On 2008-06-11 21:52, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:

I'm fond of Tito's Tacos in Culver City. (Wife isn't) Ask for tacos with cheese.

Just what do you think you're doing?! The lines are long enough there as it is!

Please people..., just stay away from Tito's Tacos. I'm very busy.

Mmm Tito's Tacos - I wish the second location in Cypress was still open. Now I only go when I go to Venice Beach, which is to say rarely.

By the way, add the Venice Beach Boardwalk to your list...a must for anyone's first visit to L.A., and it's close to Santa Monica too. If you get really adventurous (and you have a car) come visit Sam's Seafood/Kona in Huntington Beach. From Santa Monica it's only about 30-40 minutes south on the 405 - worth the drive.

S

Purple Orchid in El Segundo is NOT that far from Santa Monica, honestly. You should definitely try to stop by for some South Bay tiki.

Also, if you do hit the Tiki Ti out in Silver Lake, GO VERY EARLY. The later you go, the longer your wait to get in. Esp. on a holiday weekend.

If after visiting the Tiki Ti, you are in the mood to keep the small dive bar bus rolling, hit The Harbor Room in Playa Del Rey. I think it's even smaller than the Tiki Ti.

In Santa Monica, I've always wanted to try THE GALLEY which is more seafarer than tiki (tho does have blowfish lanterns). I've also been dying to hit Rae's Restaurant on Pico because they have the coolest old sign and it looks to be an aunthentic old skool lunch counter/diner.

No need to leave SaMo for good tacos.
There is Holy Guacamole, located at 2906 Main Street @ Ashland.
Get your tacos and head down to the beach.

On Pico and Pacific, I like Cha Cha Chicken for the Caribbean vibe.

J

I live in Santa Monica and would recommend the following:

1. Rent a bike or some skates and cruise the beach bike path from Santa Monica to Venice (or even further south). It's the quintessential LA experience. Be careful though, July 4th weekend is a zoo.

2. The Santa Monica pier has historical significance as well as the beach area just to the south. It's the original Muscle Beach (not the one in Venice), the birthplace of the 20th Century fitness boom. It's also the location of the first Hot Dog on a Stick built in 1946. Do not go into the ocean around the pier, it's very very dirty.

3. Strolling streets would include 3rd Street Promenade (pretty touristy). More of a local flavor for shopping and dining would be Main St., Montana Ave, and Abbot Kinney (which is actually in Venice).

4. On Main St., you have the Galley. Although the Galley is nautical rather than tiki, it's a must for anyone who follows this site. It dates back to 1934, has a great funky decor (hey that rhymes), tasty surf and turf as well as one strong and good Mai Tai. If you like the Galley, I would also recommend Chez Jay as another funky SM dining and watering spot. An upscale drinking experience would be the Casa Del Mar hotel (also historical) which overlooks the beach.

5. Is it worth it to drive all the way to Tiki-Ti from Santa Monica? If you're an absolute Tiki fanatic and must make the pilgrimage then I would say yes. Otherwise limited time is better spent at unique places much closer to SM like the Getty Center. If you do make the trek out to Tiki Ti (Silverlake actually, not Hollywood) call first. They may be closed that holiday weekend. FYI, they've been opening at 4pm rather than 6pm in the last few months. If you go later in the evening on a Fri or Sat night, it can be a pretty uncomfortable experience even after waiting in line.

6. Tito's Tacos is the best "bad" Mexican food around. The tacos taste like horse meat but are strangely addictive. Much better in flavor is Johnnie's Pastrami just around the corner. That place probably hasn't changed much since the 1950's. Both are in nearby Culver City and are probably not worth the drive if you're already having a good time in Santa Monica. For close proximity low-brow dining, I'd just go get a sub sandwich at Bay Cities Italian Deli on Lincoln.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2008-06-13 00:15 ]

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2008-06-13 00:25 ]

On 2008-06-13 00:02, JOHN-O wrote:
If you do make the trek out to Tiki Ti (Silverlake actually, not Hollywood) call first. They may be closed that holiday weekend.

According to their website calendar, they are indeed open on the July 4th Weekend. I do think they take a week or two off in August, usually, tho. I used to live right around the corner and seem to remember that vaguely.

A must do is the Getty Villa in Malibu, which is currently available.

Unless you are renting a car, it has the following odd rules:

No walk-ins are permitted except for those arriving by public transportation. Passengers must have their Villa admission ticket hole-punched by the driver before exiting the bus in order to enter the Villa.

Taxis
Taxis can drop off and pick up passengers in the designated area inside the Villa entrance gate. Security officers or Visitor Services staff will direct the taxi to the drop-off area.

Visitors who take a taxi to the Villa must present a taxi receipt along with a Villa ticket.

No walk-ins are permitted except for those arriving by public transportation. Passengers must have their Villa admission ticket hole-punched by the driver before exiting the bus in order to enter the Villa.

H

If you are on Abbot Kinney, you might want to try Abbot's Pizza it is pretty good and cheap. There use to be a few Surf, Hawaiiana antique shops on Abbot Kinney, I hope they are still there. Also, close by is The Warehouse, in Marina Del Rey, this place is nautical and old, it is surrounded by tall old bamboo plants. They still serve their drinks in tiki mugs and you get a nice view of the Marina. They serve Mai Tai and other drinks, not the best but very strong, try the Volcano Bowl it comes in a big tiki bowl all flaming.

TL

It's a bit of a drive, but don't forget the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood. There are a couple of threads on TC about it including pictures.

Baja Cantina on Washington Blvd in Marina Del Rey.

you can thank me later.

:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

N

If you have a rental car you might as well spend a little time (although on 4th of July weekend it's probably more likely lotta time) on a drive up PCH through Malibu. It's about 25 miles from the SM Pier to the Ventura County line.

The Ghetty Villa (as mentioned above) is off PCH. There's Pepperdine. Malibu Seafood. Mmmm. Great fish, extremely good chowder. But probably no parking for 15 miles over the 4th of July weekend. Not so good food but a fun experience is Neptune's Net just over the county line. Lots of bikers every weekend.

The drive between Neptune's Net and the SM Pier is fun. But it will be really wild on a major holiday. So if you're pressed for time just stay in SM. But if you want to see what this part of the California coast is like, maybe go early Sunday morning.

Happy Independence Day weekend!

Pages: 1 14 replies