Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Room 130 at the Bahia Cabana

Pages: 1 35 replies

It saddens me to read the posts on the spectacular Hukilau that is about to take place. The canceling of the Bahia Mar on Friday, the division of Ohana lured by the promise of free and fantastic parties off site, and the tarnish it puts on the last event of what has become a tradition for me and Jungle Jim. Perhaps good rum, a midnight swim, and great music will bring us all together again, and rally us behind this final gathering of wonderful people. As you all know, I only show up on TC when I feel it's important. So here's my invitation:

Room 130 will, as always, continue to have its doors open after the main events to be the place for great music, great memories, and great gatherings of our Tiki family. This year, more than ever, we look forward to seeing you all on the balcony--and perhaps, once again, welcome the rising sun on Saturday with an acoustic Exotica salute. The Haole Cats, Waitiki, Crazy Al, Pablus & The Crazed Mugs, I Belli di Waikiki, Combo Maholo, and other great musicians have made this a wonderful party after the party for many years now. THe FOM flag flew proudly on our door, and the community rum bar was a site to behold. Room 130 was never a distraction from the Hukilau, rather, it was an enhancement to those of us who couldn't bear to go to sleep and see the fun end.

Jungle Jim and I stand behind our Hukilau family, and hope any rifts can be mended so that this last event (boo hoo) is hopefully the best event ever. Perhaps in the true spirit of Aloha, Kreepytiki might find it in their hearts to bring their show to the Hukilau, rather than cannibalizing it. I'm sure their intentions are good, but the execution is unfortunate. Joining forces might be the wise and just thing to do.

Mahalo and see you soon!

Jungle Jim & Jennifer

On 2008-06-07 06:15, Jungle Jennifer wrote:
The canceling of the Bahia Mar on Friday

I don't know the difference between the Mar and Cabana since I have never been there before but I read the announcement as re-locating the event from the Bahia Mar to the Bahia Cabana and not canceling it?

Yes, it is merely is a relocation. Its just means we all get a great intimate show, bobbing in the pool or overlooking from the upstairs balcony.

As Christie announced, same time:new location.

I love bands Cabana poolside on Thursday nights. We get the luxury to do it twice this year. Ohana in the Cabana house!

W

Jennifer & Jim,
So very well said. I just want both of you to know that your unselfish devotion every Hukilau of opening up your room and rooftop patio to all of us during the event is always appreciated and is one of the highlights year after year. Your parties have always been the true " Hukilau After Party" as anyone who has attended in the past will attest. May the Tiki Gods bless both of you for your wonderful kindness. Myself and the rest of the Kats will (as always) be there to support/play and enjoy your invitation. Looking very forward to seeing you both soon. Mahalo...Aloha.....
Joe/Haole Kats

T

Jennifer....

Great sentiments. Being that I've never been to Hukilau, my involvement in this one, speaking with Kristie and everyone else over the past 9 months has made me realize what an undertaking it is, and how special it is to everyone. At least now I can look up from the stage and see that famous F.O.M flag I've been hearing so much about :)

I'll be toting the b ongos around in search of room jams. So all you muzos playing room jams...if you need bongo accompaniment....I'll be around.

I think this whole thing is being a bit overplayed and overdramatized. The thing at the Mar needed to be cancelled years ago and, as now, the whole entertainment schedule moved to the Cabana. That's what's been done. The Mar's highbrow minimums are ridiculous for anything short of a society wedding. So now we have the same great entertainment schedule, but in the comfort zone of the Cabana and the Clipper. I'm personally more stoked about it now. As for the thing in the hot parking lot across town, no thanks. You could find Elvis in hiding and bring him there and I still wouldn't make it. I wanna hear Tikiyaki and have a float lounge/swimming pool on hand!

The Cockeyed Mayor Of CarvaKaKai.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2008-06-07 08:48 ]

Well said, all. And I agree with you BK--now we can really immerse ourselves in the Tiki experience. It's going to be one helluva party!

T

Aloha Ohana!

Well, I will be at the Cabana the whole night; I didn't even have to think about that.

I can't wait for the hectic, crazy, unplugged pool party! Never has a group of adults acted more like children. I fit in soooo nicely.

Tho I do have one problem, King Kuk took my obnoxiously loud Hawaiian swim trunks last year. Damn.

So are there any votes for a bathing suit optional pool party?

Tiki Bob

P.S. I know one person who will be bathing suit optional IF he shows up in MY swim trunks!

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Due to popular request(mostly by C'Al) I am pleased to announce that the Spa Bronco Cooler will be making a comeback at the cabana spa. So far Al has the "time-in-the-saddle" record from Hukilau V....can he hold his title...stay tuned

Jungle Jim

T

On 2008-06-07 09:56, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:
the Spa Bronco Cooler will be making a comeback at the cabana spa.
Jungle Jim

That was sooo funny. Fortunately there was good audience at that rodeo thus keeping the thrown riders from smashing their heads on the sides of the concrete rodeo rails.

As Christie says:

Yee-Haw!

TB

HK

Hey Jim and Jennifer - You can count on Haole Kats!! being there for some late-night music. Kanekila has a new Tricone that sounds sweeeet! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that Valerie brings that bass of hers, too!

See ya'll in a few days!

Josh

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 4:18 PM

Looking forward to seeing you guys aqain. I will be going to ALL the after parties. I will be trying not to sample every drink handed to me. Gotta keep the keel even. It's all good. It's always good to be in the company of Jim and Jennifer, and the many Hukilau regulars.

Need many guitars!

H

I'll have one w/ me. Love to sit and jam w/ you guys.

HC

Aloha all , Jim and Jen , you are so kind to open your space and hearts to us again. I also feel that the relocation is a positive happenstance . (plus I won't have to "dress up"!)While I loved the ballroom setting and elegance of Friday nights at Hukilau, the warmth of the cabana happenings were always the top to me..see you SOON !! Greg

On 2008-06-08 19:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Need many guitars!

I'll have acoustic guitar with more or less new strings, acoustic bass that needs a battery, guild electric bass that has way less new strings, bongos, rain tube, conch horn ( only one this year since the other doesn't harmonize worth crap...(right Swanky?) and a strat that's way cool. And of course the bronco-billy bucking spa cooler!

S

Conch. Dang, I knew I was forgetting to pack something...

Is #130 one of the two penthouse suites? I can't remember, even though I rented one a few years back.

T

On 2008-06-09 10:32, Swanky wrote:
Conch. Dang, I knew I was forgetting to pack something...

I'll have mine !

Part of the show :)

On 2008-06-09 12:42, Unga Bunga wrote:
Is #130 one of the two penthouse suites? I can't remember, even though I rented one a few years back.

Room 130 is not a penthouse suite. It's located at the top of the stairway coming up from the spa area and before going over the walkway to the next building overlooking the pool. There's a large patio area if front of the room where the jams have taken place during Hukilaus past. It's on the second floor even though the room number indicates it to be on the first floor.

[ Edited by: Jungle Jim & Jennifer 2008-06-09 13:43 ]

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 7:05 PM

On 2008-06-09 09:23, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:

On 2008-06-08 19:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Need many guitars!

I'll have acoustic guitar with more or less new strings, acoustic bass that needs a battery, guild electric bass that has way less new strings, bongos, rain tube, conch horn ( only one this year since the other doesn't harmonize worth crap...(right Swanky?) and a strat that's way cool. And of course the bronco-billy bucking spa cooler!

What kinda batteries ya need for yer base cuz I can play and will bring sum...?!?

J

Hula Cat is in the Cabana, bringing the cool Vermont air. Glad to see you're coming man! Just hold the tuna this time.

Jungle J&J - I'll certainly be swinging by to meet you guys. Looks like 130 is the place to be.

T-minus 3 days and counting...

D

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask my question since the posters seem to be of the musician variety. What do you folks think about recording the jams? I am coming to my first Hukilau and it sounds like there will be a lot of informal music. I am considering bringing a small mp3 recorder and mic, but I wasn't sure whether the musicians would care. With actual performances, it's generally easy to ask beforehand if a band minds, but in a casual situation (which the after-hours sounds like) I often find that it can be disruptive to try to interrupt and get permission.
I was also a little unsure if there would just be too much background noise to make a good recording.
Also, it would be a pretty easy matter to burn a few copies of the recordings to cd while at the Hukilau so that they would be readily available to all.
Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Don

H

Speaking for myself (and only if I'm invited, Jungle Jim) -you're welcome to record anything I play and hopefully I'll have some back-up, via other room party musician/attendees. I'll (try to) be debuting tunes from my CD 'Brad Howland and his Hillbilly Surf Punks--Legends in Their Blown Minds' :)

T

On 2008-06-09 20:27, don-tiki wrote:
Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask my question since the posters seem to be of the musician variety. What do you folks think about recording the jams? I am coming to my first Hukilau and it sounds like there will be a lot of informal music. I am considering bringing a small mp3 recorder and mic, but I wasn't sure whether the musicians would care. With actual performances, it's generally easy to ask beforehand if a band minds, but in a casual situation (which the after-hours sounds like) I often find that it can be disruptive to try to interrupt and get permission.
I was also a little unsure if there would just be too much background noise to make a good recording.
Also, it would be a pretty easy matter to burn a few copies of the recordings to cd while at the Hukilau so that they would be readily available to all.
Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Don

You can record, buf I See any more of THIS....

there is gonna be a Beatdown !

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 12:28 AM

On 2008-06-07 09:20, Jungle Jennifer wrote:
Well said, all. And I agree with you BK--now we can really immerse ourselves in the Tiki experience. It's going to be one helluva party!

Front row seats at the Cabana are reserved for skinny-dippers!

P

I've done a lot of live recordings for good acts and not so good and this venue is always very noisy.
Heck the Mar, during performances, was incredibly noisy.
If you don't mind that, I don't think anyone would mind recording the jams.

But if you start shushing people before the pickers start playing you may get doused in orgeat.
Which isn't an entirely bad thing but certainly not beneficial to microphones.

On 2008-06-09 20:45, Howland wrote:
Speaking for myself (and only if I'm invited, Jungle Jim) -you're welcome to record anything I play and hopefully I'll have some back-up, via other room party musician/attendees. I'll (try to) be debuting tunes from my CD 'Brad Howland and his Hillbilly Surf Punks--Legends in Their Blown Minds' :)

You don't need no stinkin' invitation...just show up jammin'!!

(Thanks for the battery offer KuKu..just takes a 9 volt..got it covered)

(You're not going to be in that front row are you Otto? :o)

J'Jim

S

YEah, what he said. VERY noisy. Lots of drunks and conchs...

HK

I can't see why anyone would object to being recorded - but I can only speak for myself and the othe Kats. Record away. TJ may even have a handheld to capture some of the tunes.

J

On 2008-06-09 12:42, Unga Bunga wrote:

UB,

The one you rented is the one that Hinano Paul, Soccertiki, and I are renting this time around it is on the 3rd floor of the Ocean view building. Jen & Jim have the 2 room suite that sits by itself on the second floor of the building right above the pool.

Hopefully it will become one big fun fest anyway. As long as nobody puts their butt through JJ's windows or breaks the marble counter tops in the penthouse.

RugbyMatt

On 2008-06-09 21:32, tikiyaki wrote:

You can record, buf I See any more of THIS....

there is gonna be a Beatdown !

Yeeesh and on an 8 track no less!

On 2008-06-09 20:27, don-tiki wrote:
I am considering bringing a small mp3 recorder and mic, but I wasn't sure whether the musicians would care.

I think that's a wonderful idea. There has been some righteous playing (one year until 7am--remember TJ :), and it would be great to have these memories to play again. I'm all for it...

T

yea...it failed the quality control test too....AND It had a Mantovani Orchestra label underneath to boot(leg)

We put gum in LittleLostTiki's hair, made him watch the famous Doobie Brothers Bootlegging Episode" of "What's Happenin ?" 100 times, and told him to never do it again.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-10 13:14 ]

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 3:35 PM

Sounds like a ton-o-fun! I'll be there with 5-octave chromatic hubcaps and Eb euphonium. Maybe C'Al will let me play his nuts.

I am going to have to mosey upstairs and take a peek at room 130 to check you people out...sounds like I might be missing out on fun if I don't! lol

They still make players for 8 track tapes? Sheesh...I thought they went the way of leisure suits and afros.

Pages: 1 35 replies