Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thor's Rum Ration Series

Pages: 1 1 replies

I
irishf posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 7:08 AM

Very interesting story on Thor's Rum Ration Series. I did have to laugh though that these paintings, priced at $1,300 are being advertised as "very affordable" so "everyone" has a chance to own one. I'm certain Thor deserves every penny he receives for his art, but I don't think 1300 is "very affordable" for a sketch that's 11" x 14". Absolutely love the concept for this series. Some of them have already sold.

from marketing email:

Thor’s newest experiment in his amazing world of magic, mystery and mayhem, The Rum Ration series, is taking the art world by storm, in true pirate fashion! This series of original sketches all started with a simple mistake, in true Thor form.

As many friends and collectors know, Thor does enjoy his rum. It is common to find him sipping on fine rum as he paints into the twilight of the day. Well, one day, as Thor was enjoying his rum and finishing up a painting, he reached to dip his brush in his small cup of water, but accidently buried it in his tumbler of rum! This brush which was supposed to be holding water to help blend an area of acrylic washes now drenched his canvas with a golden brown, sweet smelling splash of Caribbean magic. He was horrified at ruining his rum, but was delighted to find a good use for his tainted drink.

As Thor experimented with his new found “ink”, he realized it was producing great colors and effects which normally were not seen with average paints, and it didn’t hurt that you could drink the paint, too. The only problem was that the rum was too thin, and needed to be reduced somehow to thicken it up. Of course, the average person would think to just boil it down on the stove to help burn off the alcohol and produce the required thicker, sugary concoction. However, we all know that Thor is not the average person!! He thought back to the classic age of Polynesian Pop Culture, when every tiki bar had at least one drink on the menu served in a beautiful scorpion or volcano bowl with a section of rum on fire. In that same fashion, he poured some of his Demerara 151 rum into an old sake cup, and lit it on fire. The flame, with a little help from the magic of Pele, reduced the rum down to the perfect caramelized medium to produce some amazing quick sketches.

All of a sudden, the Rum Ration series was born! All of these paintings are produced entirely with rum. Thor pours his painting rum into a small cup and lights it on fire, and as it burns he has just enough time to do a quick sketch in pencil which he then brings to life with the demon rum. As the series name suggests, Thor is also keeping in the same tradition of the old pirates and British sailors, who used to have their daily “grog” on their ships, which was their ration of rum. The rum was always rationed so that it would last the entire voyage, and to make sure that everyone got some each day. Thor thought the same for these rum paintings, so they are being released in small formats at very affordable prices so that everyone gets a chance to own a Thor original, since most Thor originals sell before they are even finished. These are being released at a special, introductory sale price, so watch as we “ration” these out, and act now before the prices are increased. You don’t want to be left standing there like Jack Sparrow saying “Why is the rum gone!!”
Click Here to Get Your Rum Today!!!
[email protected]
http://www.thorstor.com

T
THOR's posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 2:29 PM

Thanks for your opinion Irishf!

You have me tongue tied as to a response!! lol I guess I just resort to my truest answer..I just paint stuff and my publisher's set prices based on sales trends of my work. LOTS of price points on my website for many budgets which is what I have only requested. Come say hi if you come to Tiki Oasis...we have many surprises to come in our wacked out Tiki Suite by the pool. I understand you are coming to Hawaii instead of Hukilau?? It's hot as hell in Waikiki right now..so keep yer Irish toes dipped in the Pacific when visiting here!!!
~All best wishes... THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2008-06-09 14:30 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies