Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Best of The Worst

Pages: 1 2 replies

N

It is very easy to dismiss anything tiki related from Big Lots, Spencer’s Gifts, and even Rite Aid as utter crap but for all of us who are strong in spirit but weak in resources to score a Don The Beachcomber mug they can be a semi reasonable facsimile. So I thought I’d toss up a thread for those neo-tiki items from major retail outlets (No Tiki Farm, Shag, or Bosko items please, they are a given.) that make (or nearly make) the grade. They may lack history and were assembled by underpaid Chinese laborers but are better than nothing and who knows, in time they may turn into the Steven Crane Mugs of tomorrow. Here are a few items in my collection that like a good date, are cheap but fun.

The Big Lot Planter

Archie McPhee Herb Garden (for the kitchen window sill)

The Moai Crazy Straw (Good for hiking, very durable and goofy)

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2008-06-07 07:22 ]

Ewwwwww......

I like it! Good idea, some of the CRAP, well stuff, are things given to us, perhaps by significant others, given in the spirit of Aloha/Tiki but miss the mark by a mile. Somethings we have to keep because of who gave it to us or the spirit. I am away from home so I will post photos later, how about anything made of Monkey Pod, or candles or how many African carvings have you been given and the gifter say, "Its Tiki, you know!" I am a big softy and if someone thought enough to give me something, I appreciate it and will find a way to use it.

Pages: 1 2 replies