Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Seattle Suggestions

Pages: 1 10 replies

B

Morning, afternoon and evening, one and all,

This August I am going to be in Vancouver for a couple of weeks. On one of the weekends I think I might dive down to Seattle and check out a few of their tiki bars. On other threads I have read about Bellevue Trader Vic’s, The Luau, Ohana, The Islander, and the Hula Hula Lounge. I will probably only be there for a night (outside chance of 2) so I don’t think I can hit them all. I am looking for a little guidance as to the places that I must not miss and the places that can wait for next time.

What are your recommendations? I guess two other factors should be a) location- which ones are located close-ish to which other ones, and b) hours- which ones are open for lunch. If I can get an early start I may be able to squeeze an extra Mai Tai or four in.

Any chance there are any (big or small) tiki or lounge events going on in early August?? Any other things (tiki or not) that I really need to see/do in Seattle?

Danke!

Sounds like you've got everything on your list. Except the Islander closed. Not sure if there's an specific event planned but we might be able to plan something for when you are here. If you want to have a tiki modern place to stay while you are here you may be able to book the Bamboo Grove of Westwood http://www.bamboogroveofwestwood.com I know this is shameless self promotion.
PM me and I can pass on your information to get you on our email list for events.

I'm sure some of the other Seattle folks will have additional suggestions.

D

(i've U-Moderated, and requested this thread be moved to Travel)..

do a SEARCH on Vancouver for must see/do there. keywords: vancouver waldorf funhauser

CRITIKI has a self-guided Seattle Tiki recommendations, its a bit outdated. but its good info.

meanwhile: here's some helpful info on Tiki in The Emerald City.

The Islander is not closed but much of the Tiki Decor has been removed. serves lunch and dinner. Good food.

Trader Vic's is open for lunch and dinner and late night happy hour. eat in the bar, the dining room is void of cool decor.

HulaHula open 5pm. good food. sweet drinks. 9 pm, karoke begins. THEY HAVE A SIGNATURE MUG.

Tiki Bob's Cantina. avoid completely.

Hawaii General Store, closed mondays: wonderful store filled with neat hawaiian stuff, a few mugs.

Luau Polynesian Lounge: lunch and dinner. surf feel local bar and grill. good food, sweet drinks.

Ohana open 5 pm. not a tiki bar in my opinion, its a japanese-hawaiian restaurant for urban hipsters.

i'd add Thaiku as a Cocktail Destination and for its cool Opium Den Decor and superior bartender. perhaps Selector Lopaka still spins there on Sunday evenings..

your trip really depends on timing. honestly, i'd book a room at The Westin in Bellevue and plunk down at Trader Vic's and spend the evening there.

i dont think anything offical is on for August, although the Second Saturday in August is International Tiki Day, and we usually celebrate the occasion. make sure you announce where you'll be, and sometimes the Jet City folks will spontaneously appear

D

oh and not to knock my own city ~ but~ get your ass down to Portland.
Thatch and Alibi
and voodoo donuts.
nuff said.

B

Only eat the Pupus at Trader Vic's - the rest of the food is sub-par and REALLY pricey - and yes - eat in the bar unless you want a little "quiet time!" Enjoy your stay (oh and hit the public market for a little hippy-dippy fun!).

M

On 2008-06-09 13:00, dogbytes wrote:
oh and not to knock my own city ~ but~ get your ass down to Portland.
Thatch and Alibi
and voodoo donuts.
nuff said.

DB - you will be glad to hear VooDoo Dognuts! had opened a larger Eastside location!!

Sorry for the highjack! Return to your regular Seattle Tiki Talk.

D

"eastside" of Seattle or Portland?

see ya at Kon!

On 2008-06-10 09:24, dogbytes wrote:
"eastside" of Seattle or Portland?

see ya at Kon!

P-town of course - they aren't that sophisticated!

See you in a few weeks!

My best suggestion when visiting Seattle is keep driving 3 hours south and
stop in Portland. Better tiki bars and vintage shopping, if that's your
sort of thing. Also Voodoo donuts! In defense of Seattle though, June is
turning out to be one of the milder winters we've had in years:)

B

LOL - that's so true - why just the other day I decided to put my fur-lined parka away for the year!

On 2008-06-11 08:00, tiki-riviera wrote:
"In defense of Seattle though, June is
turning out to be one of the milder winters we've had in years:)"

My Seattle tip: If you're driving a convertible, never leave it parked without the top up. Not only can it rain at any time, but drunks will leave their babies in your vehicle.

Some sad evidence from the last time it happened to me:

[ Edited by: monkeyskull 2008-06-11 19:12 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies