Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Finding rum in San Diego

Pages: 1 11 replies

A

Anyone have suggestions on good liquor stores to find rum in San Diego? Bevmo has a fairly good selection. Trader Mort's is of course a legend, and a good source for Lemon Hart.

But I was wondering if someone had stumbled upon a liquor store somewhere in this town that perhaps few know about that has a surprisingly good selection or hard-to-find rums.

Anyone?

Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido is very good

http://www.yelp.com/biz/holiday-wine-cellar-escondido

Not a huge selection, but I was surprised to find Zaya and Oronoco at the Vons in Liberty Station recently. I remember someone posting here that they's found Zaya at Vons in California, but the Liberty Station location is the first one I've found it at in SD.

Otherwise I'm usually shopping at BevMo & Trader Mort's, too.

There's a liquor store with a suprisingly good beer selection on El Cajon Blvd (across the street from Rudford's), but I don't remember anything exciting about their rums.

TL

Try avenue liquor in Coronado. They have good selection.

The Keg and Bottle on the corner of College ave. and El Cajon blvd. They have a great selection. They are even willing to haggle price and order anything you're looking for. The guy actually calls me at home when he gets in stuff he knows I like.
At one time they used to give out "tasters" in little dixie cups. That was how I first tasted Zaya rum. If you let them know you're a rum lover they'll take care of you.
Cheers.

Get yourself one of those snare-traps from the internet and set it up in front of the liquor store.

Then, put a trail of limes from the door to the center of the trap.

Then you just have to wait for the rum bottles to follow the trail of limes into the trap.

Retrieve your rum from the trap.

Repeat as necessary.

On 2008-06-17 10:09, Chip and Andy wrote:
Get yourself one of those snare-traps from the internet and set it up in front of the liquor store.

Then, put a trail of limes from the door to the center of the trap.

Then you just have to wait for the rum bottles to follow the trail of limes into the trap.

Retrieve your rum from the trap.

Repeat as necessary.

....and the drunken revelers returned from Hukilau :D

On 2008-06-17 14:44, Jason Wickedly wrote:

What! You got a better plan? Share!

On 2008-06-17 15:18, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-06-17 14:44, Jason Wickedly wrote:

What! You got a better plan? Share!

Hey you're preaching to the choir...I've got 5 traps and a bag of limes set up here, but no rum bottles yet! Still beats paying $5 per gallon to chase down good rum the old-fashined way though.

A

Thanks all for the suggestions & feedback.

Matt - I've passed that Keg n Bottle a million times, but never went in. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm having a hard time finding a good store that carries the various mix in ingredients I'm looking for (rock candy syrup, small cans of juice...) Can anyone help me out? If anyone has suggestions about places in San Diego (or even Los Angeles), I'd be one happy guy.

[ Edited by: Easter Island Elvis 2008-09-17 00:38 ]

A

On 2008-09-17 00:36, Easter Island Elvis wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding a good store that carries the various mix in ingredients I'm looking for (rock candy syrup, small cans of juice...) Can anyone help me out? If anyone has suggestions about places in San Diego (or even Los Angeles), I'd be one happy guy.

[ Edited by: Easter Island Elvis 2008-09-17 00:38 ]

-- We got the small cans of pineapple juice at Ralphs (the one in Hillcrest specifically).
-- I gave up trying to find the small cans of white grapefruit juice locally and simply bought a case on Amazon.
-- Rock candy syrup? Do you mean Trader Vic style that has a bit of vanilla in it? Otherwise, I think simple syrup is pretty much the same unless you're talking cane sugar syrup vs. corn syrup.

Pages: 1 11 replies