Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

If you could design a tiki room any way you wanted...

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

I know a member of TC (no not me) who is thinking of turning a bedroom into a tiki bar. The room he has is not huge but he wants to do it up right.

So, help me help him with ideas please. If YOU could design a tiki bar/room with any materials, any decor, any anything you wanted what would it look like? Assume he can do a little building, and can come up with all the materials like matting, tapa cloth, etc...

Let's see how wild those minds out there can get!

A few months ago, I was in the same situation. Living near Oceanic arts is a plus and saves tons on shipping. Depending on location, Lowes and Home Depot have bamboo slat fencing and the straw type fencing for pretyy cheap. I originally started with no ideas what to do, but eventually went the traditional route. I'd recommend splitting your own bamboo and mixing up the texture and colors on your walls/ceiling in sections to make a more interesting atmosphere. Puffer lamps and float lamps are easy to make, and they save tons on cash. I had no prior carpentry/construction skills, but I did my whole room solo, and made a few furniture pieces and multiple lamps, which kept me occupied when I didn't have much cash. Theres so many awesome home bars and reference materials on here, once you get going, it becomes "what do I have to leave out" instead of "what do I put in." Check my Apartment Bar thread and, my favorite, Howland's Jungalero lounge thread. Good luck to your friend!

Yep, lot's of great examples on TC, but I am curious to hear if you could design a room from scratch what that might look like. I think a lot of us tend to fill rooms with what we find, rather than go from walls out... I am thinking of what you could do with time, raw materials, etc... this person already has some lights, art, and a bar, just needs ideas on how to really make the room unique and it's own little slice of paradise.

Another nice touch is trying to acquire some large pieces of tapa cloth 4' x 4' or 6' x 4' an dusing those for the walls or ceiling. A bit different and it breaks up the natural weave patterns, etc. You can find these on e-bay at fairly reasonable prices.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2008-06-10 12:08 ]

My dream tiki room was crushed when I saw this:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16725&forum=18

Okay, so there's no bar, it's 'only' a bedroom. But it's a good starting point for your friend. Just add the bar and perhaps a stream with a bridge. Maybe an artificial rainstorm outside the windows with thunder and lightning effects.

Yep, the Bamboo Ben work is amazing... good reference for ideas!

I was going to suggest he frame some of his menu collection and put it on one wall... anyone ever done that before? One wall full of menus?

Pages: 1 5 replies