Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Art: Why Do You Do What You Do?

Pages: 1 37 replies

I had written the below as a sort of PS in my post on the in the What defines "TIKI" art...and does anybody care? *thread. (Where so far, fingers crossed, the posts have been civil and well thought out.) But then it seemed like a thread of thoughts beyond a definition of Tiki Art from people who are artists or "other crafters" (especially those who make Tiki Art which isn't particularly strict to its Polynesian source) might be an interesting companion thread.

So you make Tiki Art, but what you make or the way you make it may not fall within a narrow definition of Tiki Art. Why do you as an artist feel your art qualifies as Tiki Art?

Thoughts from those who collect Tiki Art would be interesting as well.

Or you can go* HERE *and see a picture of a monkey patting a kitten on the head. So cute! *

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-06-11 19:58 ]

I make Tiki Art because it's fun. Yes, fun.

In the past I have given some consideration to the source material, checked out books, made notes. But other than all of that now being part of my creative unconscious I never attempt to ape actual Polynesian pieces. (To be bluntly honest: I really don't have that much interest in true Polynesian culture, my interest is in the interpretation of that culture into a pretend paradise.)

I make three types of

Super Cartoony stuff (frequently featuring big teeth, Oh! The Horror!)

Is-That-A-Mid-Century-Piece? stuff which I try to make look like actual Tiki interpretations from half a century ago

Tiki Nuevo (a term I just made up) which is an attempt to make something "serious" and contemporary that has as its source the middle class whitewashing of other cultures into decorative background material. (And it's not intended as a commentary on that practice.)

I always strive for genuine creativity. I don't imitate others original work...What would be the point? (This is not a comment on those who make painstaking reproductions of items. Your stuff makes my brain hurt. In an admiring way.)

I really don't worry what the general Tikiphile public may think of my work. If someone likes it I am happy to have made something they'll enjoy. If someone sees one of my big toothed Tikis and has to be revived with smelling salts because they were so offended...Well, so what.

If you're an artist or just want to give "Other Crafts" a whirl you should not be afraid to make whatever the hell you want. You can call it whatever you want, too. But you can't expect everyone, or even anyone, to like it or consider it to be what you claim it is.

If you're scared by the opinion of others you're probably not going to do well at anything. Give those fears some reconsideration (and hopefully the boot). If you can't take well constructed criticism then you probably should just keep your art to yourself or on your mom's fridge because it's doubtful your going to improve your work.

On 2008-06-11 00:20, woofmutt wrote:

If you're an artist or just want to give "Other Crafts" a whirl you should not be afraid to make whatever the hell you want. You can call it whatever you want, too. But you can't expect everyone, or even anyone, to like it or consider it to be what you claim it is.

Nicely put. Surely Art is about self expression?

ps: awww, that monkey and kitten are adorable. I think Ill go carve them, or maybe paint them? Hmmmm, photo-realistic or pointalist? Perhaps an installation/performance interpretation of their curiosity and innocence? I hope you like it.. :wink:

I may tiki art cause i need the money...and because the tiki revival has provided me with a captive audience and an endless supply of suckers who are more than happy to plunk down their hard earned dough on these trivial items....( oops!! ..i hope i didn't say that out loud.......maybe no one heard me....) LOL

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-11 04:47 ]

I do what I do because: carving is an escape from more boring/expensive persuits, I enjoy playing with my wood, and the "voices" keep telling to play with very sharp knives! As a "Florida" tiki carver, I enjoy driving the "purists" crazy with toothy tikis and no research!

Haha, that is funny, I appreciate that! Very "anti-establishment! :D

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 1:59 PM

Me, personally, I carve because it's fun.
Plain and simple.
I don't know if what I carve could be called tiki or not so I try to just refer to them as carvings.
Yes I think I've advanced some since my first few, but then how could a person do anything multiple times and not advance in some way. Whether finding a way to do it quicker or finding a way that takes longer yet achieves the desired result.

Anyway, that's why I do what I do.

On a side note, couldn't the influence for the big toothy grin carves, which I've also seen referred to as Florida style, have come from Kelbo's Smiley Mug?

These pictures were copied from this post .

I'm not trying to start an argument, I was just curious as to why so many complain about tikis with Big Toothy Grins yet Kelbo's is celebrated...

Big toothy grins are fine, but they have become the most repeated stylistic element in commercial Tiki, exactly that symptom of a designer not going deeper than copying the first best Tiki they've seen somewhere, not exploring the plethora of visual concepts that were and could be used in Tiki art.

W

Something to consider with the big teeth: As a culture we are currently more tooth focused than we've ever been. Good dental hygiene and access to dental care has led to more people having teeth which are in decent shape.

Having good teeth has led to the pursuit of ideal teeth with whitening, straightening, and capping. Maybe the big teeth Tiki are just a reflection of what's going on in the culture.

This would also be why we see so many Tikis with hair extensions.

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 5:24 PM

I've also seen a couple around town with bad comb-overs, uh, as opposed to the good kind where you really can't tell that it's a comb-over.

Why do I do what I do? Why... I've never examined my life this way! Do people actually know why they do what the do? Brilliant!

OK, I suppose I design the occasional Tiki band poster to advertise my band and they're fun to do, and I'm making my own Witco World piece 'cause I'll never run into one in the midwest and I'm not paying ebay prices for one.

Also, Mrs. Bungalow won't let me have another dog, so I need to keep busy somehow.

Yep, I guess that's why I do what I do do.

J

I carve because I like too.

As a kid I experienced the Tiki Room at WDW and loved it. Those images stuck in my head. I was looking on Amazon for reference books to decorate our garden with similar tribal and primitive carvings and I stumbled across Sven's BOT right after it was published. I bought it sight unseen, I had no idea of what it was and what a treasure it is. I was surprised to find the Tiki Room was part of the book, and that what I liked actually had a name. I found TC shortly after and became hooked (I lurked for years).

Instead of just decorating our garden, I now wanted to create something like a vintage Trader Vics at home. Since I could not afford the tikis and other carvings I wanted I decided to make them myself. I started carving and haven't stopped.

I rarely sell anything I carve and still have most of what I've made. The money from what I do sell goes to buying more tools or add books to my ever growing Oceanic library. I post here because I love looking at all the other artist's work and I learn a lot from other artists threads. I have a long way to go to get to the level I want to be at. While the feedback and bantering in the carving forum is fun, I feel I owe others on this sight. I've learned a ton from other carvers works in progress and want add to the reference material here. I hope to help other starting carvers. I have also met of lot of great people on the carving threads.

I know I carve a lot of different things other than tikis but if you look at the pictures of vintage tiki bars there are a lot of objects other than tikis decorating these vintage locations. There are fish, masks, poles, nautical, weapons, drums, instruments, eating utensils, birds, other figures, and etc. all around in those pictures. All these carvings and objects are part of the package of what a vintage tiki bar was.

The voices in my head told me to do it.

W

Though a few replies have hit on this what I should have asked were questions along these lines (which I'll add to the top):

So you make Tiki Art, but what you make or the way you make it may not fall within a narrow definition of Tiki Art. Why do you as an artist feel your art qualifies as Tiki Art?

Your work may be so obviously Tiki (say an inch for inch reproduction of a museum piece) that no explanation is needed. Or you may just not give a damn what others think. (Like I said above, I sort of fall into that category.)

And even with a well thought out argument and justification of your reasons there's little that can be done to convince those who have a set of definitions which they aren't interested in expanding.

But stopping to consider your work from an outside perspective is usually always good. And putting it into words so that others can toss off quick jokes about it is becoming the Tiki Central norm.

On 2008-06-11 14:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
the plethora of visual concepts that were and could be used in Tiki art.

Jefe: I have put many beautiful pinatas in the storeroom, each of them filled with little suprises.
El Guapo: Many pinatas?
Jefe: Oh yes, many!
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A plethora.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

On 2008-06-11 14:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
... exactly that symptom of a designer not going deeper than copying the first best Tiki they've seen somewhere, not exploring the plethora of visual concepts that were and could be used in Tiki art.

I agree, years ago my wife was involved with "Country Decorating" namely she painted Norwegian decorative painting called Rosemailing, it is painstaking and beautiful. Some of her first pieces sold quickly albeit they were not cheap. In a short time, around 3 years, most Country decor pieces were cheap China knockoffs, down right silly, goofy junk. Real country art was ignored for black wood cut-outs of a fat woman bending over. But today, now that the fad is gone, Country decor fans still produce wonderful and unique art pieces, demanding top dollar, exploring the dusty roads from where their art came from, following the DISCIPLINE of their craft whether it be a reproduction piece or a brand new design.

On 2008-06-11 22:41, bananabobs wrote:
Country decor fans still produce wonderful and unique art pieces, demanding top dollar, exploring the dusty roads from where their art came from, following the DISCIPLINE of their craft whether it be a reproduction piece or a brand new design.

That is wonderful. So would you say that those country decor fans are pursuing a "narrow" view of their art/decor genre? Certainly not. Thank you for using a good comparison from another art genre.

I am still flabbergasted that my thoughts here and in my other thread are being misunderstood/misconstrued into "adhering to a narrow view of Tiki", while what I am pointing out is that ignoring the opportunity to tap into the rich heritage (of authentic and mid-century Tiki art) is what has actually led to a narrowing down of the motifs of the Tiki revival --(OR is simply creating pieces so far from the source that they are not Tiki anymore). Pretty ironic.

P

i like making people happy with the my art.

i make myself happy making tiki art.

win/win

"ignoring the opportunity to tap into the rich heritage (of authentic and mid-century Tiki art) is what has actually led to a narrowing down of the motifs of the Tiki revival"

I don't think the ignoring has led to the narrowing. I think marketability has led to the narrowing. What sells gets created. What proves popular gets created.

The rich heritage of Tiki does not sell Tiki.

What sells is what is the idea of "different","odd", sometimes "goofy","weird", yes "anti-conservative","counter-culture", etc.

Many don't want to be the kind of person with a butterfly cut-out stuck in a pole in their garden. Many don't want a Budweiser bar in their basement. Many don't want to be an artist creating pretty things.

The marketing of items with which to create your personal identity is very strong in society today. We are all happy victims one way or the other.

W

"I am still flabbergasted that my thoughts here and in my other thread are being misunderstood/misconstrued into "adhering to a narrow view of Tiki", while what I am pointing out is that ignoring the opportunity to tap into the rich heritage (of authentic and mid-century Tiki art) is what has actually led to a narrowing down of the motifs of the Tiki revival --(OR is simply creating pieces so far from the source that they are not Tiki anymore). Pretty ironic." -bigbrotiki-

Considering that even a person of obvious intelligence and the ability to make a sound argument is capable of completely misunderstanding and misconstruing a subject one can hardly expect any more from those who have never been remotely familiar with reason.

On 2008-06-11 00:19, woofmutt wrote:

Hmmm. So what does "narrow definition of Tiki Art" refer to in the context of this thread, and my previous one that it spun off of?

I am editing to add the information intended in this thread. Why I make my tiki art and what influences me> Apparently "tiki" has always been an influence ever since I was little. Growing up in Montana I did not have really anything to draw from. Yet for an entire year in high school I did nothing but draw palm trees. Eventually the tikis started to reveal themselves to me. In '89 I did an entire tiki show before I even considered myself a tiki artist, still without the vast resources of Oceanic art that I have today. Then I moved to Fiji and completely dedicated my art to Fijian tapa. I spent a couple of years just interpreting tapa designs and dissecting the patterns and documenting the processes. From there i started to make actual tikis and incorporated tikis and tapa design. So, Im coming at it from a more traditional point of view, however my personality is very cartoon and mid-century. The best way i can describe it is mid century travel agency waiting room meets grade school pull down maps. Its someting that i cant quite put my finger on but Im going to keep trying to get there. My own art is different than everyone else. I can only make what I make, its beyond my control. I'm sure there are plenty of tiki purists who don't think what i do is tiki enough. I fall somewhere in the middle, not super traditional and not super kitchy. But I have always considered it to be tiki and will continue to do so with or without the approval of the masses.
I have struggled for yrs trying to be respected in the bigger tiki scene not only for my interpretation of tiki, but also for the fact that Ive been at it for so long. Unfortunately I do think its all about whats popular and what sells. and that's what perpetuates the look that defines tiki art for so many. I see time and time again that people will pay hundreds of dollars for a print from an artist that they consider popular just because everyone else says so. and not be willing to pay $50.00 or $60.00 for an original painting from someone who has not been accepted as popular. So around and around we go!

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-06-12 08:23 ]

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-06-12 08:25 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 7:25 AM

Bigbro, GROG think maybe he is saying there is a "narrow definition of Tiki art" because according to you, the current artists are either basically copying what has been done before, or are missing the mark so far that their art can't be considered tiki art. If everybody is missing the mark so completely, then it must be a narrow definition.

As far as GROG, what Tiki art GROG has done, is because the voices in Jungle Trader's head tell GROG to do it.

W

"So what does "narrow definition of Tiki Art" refer to in the context of this thread, and my previous one that it spun off of?" -bigbrotiki-

The "narrow definition" would be any definition or boundaries used as an acid test to judge whether an artist's work is Tiki or not Tiki.

The point of this spin off thread (The Mork and Mindy to your Happy Days?) is:

Why do you as an artist feel your art qualifies as Tiki Art?

AND/OR:

What makes the Tiki Art you collect Tiki Art

The intent was to have a thread where artists could explain to anyone (and particularly those who may dismiss their work as not being Tiki Art) what has gone into the their work.

OK, to backtrack a little (one last time before I bow out, I promise):

On 2008-06-12 03:41, woofmutt wrote:
Considering that even a person of obvious intelligence and the ability to make a sound argument is capable of completely misunderstanding and misconstruing a subject...

Woofmust, just in case this "person" you mention is supposed to be me, WHAT did I misunderstand and where did I misconstrue? You obviously used the term "narrow" the way I understood it, as you reiterated:

On 2008-06-12 08:02, woofmutt wrote:
The "narrow definition" would be any definition or boundaries used as an acid test to judge whether an artist's work is Tiki or not Tiki.

...meaning since I just happen to be the one around here who tried to define Tiki and nonTiki, you are calling my definition narrow, ---which (as I said earlier) I feel is totally misconstruing what my posts are saying. Soooo.... what did I misunderstand?

But compared to my good friend Grog's degree of misunderstanding of my efforts, you are being tame :) :

On 2008-06-12 07:25, GROG wrote:
Bigbro, GROG think maybe he is saying there is a "narrow definition of Tiki art" because according to you, the current artists are either basically copying what has been done before, or are missing the mark so far that their art can't be considered tiki art. If everybody is missing the mark so completely, then it must be a narrow definition.

WHERE the heck did I say anything like that, to that degree? Or wait, perhaps the above quote is just one of Grog's parodies? But no, I just read the other thread...
I am so shocked that what I am trying to say is SO misinterpreted, by good friends even, I am gonna cool it for a while...beaten by the curse of Babylon on this site, with people obviously speaking different languages, missing each other's points completely. Sigh.

" WHAT did I misunderstand and where did I misconstrue?" -bigbrotiki-

The intent of this particular thread was for artists and collectors to explain where they're coming from with Tiki Art that they make/collect which may fall beyond someone else's definition of Tiki Art. It was meant not as a counterpoint to your original thread but as a companion thread, a thread where the focus could be on the thoughts of the artists and collectors and not a continuation of the argument you presented in your original thread.

I think I stated it fairly clearly:

*"I had written the (post) below as a sort of PS in my post on the in the "What defines "TIKI" art...and does anybody care?" thread...But then it seemed like a thread of thoughts beyond a definition of Tiki Art from people who are artists or "other crafters" (especially those who make Tiki Art which isn't particularly strict to its Polynesian source) might be an interesting companion thread.

So you make Tiki Art, but what you make or the way you make it may not fall within a narrow definition of Tiki Art. Why do you as an artist feel your art qualifies as Tiki Art?"*

As I see it, any posts in this thread which continue the argument in your original thread would be misunderstanding and misconstruing of the purpose of this thread. That's my narrow definition and I'm sticking to it.

"You obviously used the term "narrow" the way I understood it...since I just happen to be the one around here who tried to define Tiki and nonTiki, you are calling my definition narrow..."

I don't see where I cited your argument directly (no quotes from you) nor did I even hint at your actual definition. I merely used the term "narrow definition". Using "narrow definition" was necessary in presenting the question I wanted artists/collectors to consider. I could have been round about and vague but that would have led to endless redefining and off topic posts. Fortunately we avoided that pitfall completely.

All that said I've enjoyed the discussions and argument in the "...does anybody care?" thread. It's rare to come across people who can make a good argument of their thoughts. Even more rare are those who can entertain the contrary opinions of others without picking up their toys and storming off.

In this thread I appreciated the posts from Heath, JohnnyP, and Sophista-tiki where some insight about their work was offered. The thought behind the object isn't often presented on Tiki Central.

V

Hoo-boy!
I think I am going to finally dare to take a dip in this pool. I wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread, or the other one started by BigBroTiki, but since this pertains to my art and why I make it I opted for this thread.

OK - Tiki mugs.
It all began in 2002 when I saw Don Tiki preform at the Hula Hut. I ordered a Mai-Tai, and it came in a tiki mug that I got to keep. I cannot begin to tell you how profound the experience was. Here I was, on the boarder of Downtown Honolulu and Waikiki - and yet I was not. I was in a jungle hut, listening to ancient and exotic sounds and drinking from a carved vessel. I had been transported from the everyday to the fantastic. By the time I got home I had to make a mug. I had to explore the mystery of what these sculpted mugs do - they transcend their practical purpose (that of holding an alcoholic beverage) and become a gateway to an exotic locale/mindset. When you drink from a tiki mug, you are escaping the everyday and exploring the mysterious. Heck - the mug does not even have to be used for drinking - just seeing it and holding it makes you think of far away places and and adventurous deeds.
Now, why do I make the kinds of mugs I make? And are they all Tiki Mugs? I understand where BigBroTiki is coming from in the "is it tiki" discussion. Many of the mugs I make are unusual, and some have little or nothing to do with carved wooden gods (my alien tentacle mugs would be a good example of this). This is where defining a "tiki mug" becomes a tricky business. For me, the label "Tiki Mug" has moved beyond the literal meaning of a tiki-shaped mug, and become a form of vessel that elevates the beverage and the act of drinking it beyond a tool for getting drunk and into a tool for sparking the imagination and escaping the monotony of day-to-day life. When sculpting my mugs I do pull imagery from classic Polynesian artwork, but I also love to "explore on my own". I like to make idols and objects that my friends and I would dream of finding in the jungles when we played as kids. I want my mugs to take you out of the ordinary - the deep dark jungle that they transport you to may not be 100% grounded in established Polynesian/pacific imagery, but it is still a great place to get lost :)
Whew! Hope that wasn't too long-winded.

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

I've been thinking of a comment for this thread for several days and when I
finally get ready to do it...VanTiki says it all!
Hello, I spend most of my time in the "Creating Tiki" thread. In my 58 year
old escapist mind "tiki" is about mystery, danger, forbidden places, as
VanTiki said "objects my friends and I would dream of finding in the
jungle." I love the mugs, paintings, vintage tiki bar stuff, but more
than that I love the primitive art and mystery of places like Easter Island,
the villages of the Sepik River, wondering what happened to Michael Rockefeller,
Kon Tiki, Attenboroughs BBC documentaries on New Guinea, and the like. I try to reflect a little of that mystery in my carvings. I don't get much of a
reaction in Wisconsin when I say that I carve Tikis, so I generally tell
people that I carve Polynesian-style gods and spirit figures. I'm not
sure they "get it" but it's somewhat easier to explain.
So in general, I would say that I am even more of a "purist" than BigBro,
if that's possible. :)

Henrik, thank you for adding your inspiring story of inspiration. The Hula Hut ( actually "Hawaiian Hut", I always cringe because I made the mistake to call it "Hula Hut" in Tiki Modern first) is certainly a perfect environment to catch the bug. And I totally sympathize with your "Idol in the Jungle" fascination, after all I quoted THE classic works of "Lost overgrown stone god civilizations", Catherwood and Stephen's "Incidents of Travel in central America", in both of my books. Man you should have been with me on my expeditions to the closed down "The Tikis" in Lake Elsinore.

And I am glad that, because of your talent and the obvious show of appreciation for it here, you have to have no worries and can take my criticism without taking it personal and respond to it one on one. I really liked your tiles you did, and the big teeth thing might be exasperated by the fact that your mugs are always photographed with a wide angle lens from a low p.o.v. ---which does make the the mugs look like huge monuments, but also makes the teeth explode :D

With apologies, allow me to note that some of your mugs do look more like medieval castle/ heavy metal monsters, and I am very sensitive to having Tiki cross over into the huge biker/head shop realm of Dungeons and Dragons resin art. That's probably where my alarm bells went of when I saw that Vampire mug.

But I wholeheartedly agree with your description of the Tiki mug being all about escapism and imagining other exotic worlds, keep up following what inspires you, it's obviously working for you.

W

Well for once I have to completely agree with What's-his-name (wink)...

"...(Tiki mugs) transcend their practical purpose (that of holding an alcoholic beverage) and become a gateway to an exotic locale/mindset. When you drink from a tiki mug, you are escaping the everyday and exploring the mysterious...The mug does not even have to be used for drinking - just seeing it and holding it makes you think of far away places and adventurous deeds." -VanTiki-

That is not only a brilliant descriptions of the appeal of the Tiki mug but it also nails down the lure of Tiki in general.

On 2008-06-11 00:19, woofmutt wrote:

I'm going to say the initial 'intent' of the artist can carry over to the definition of the final piece.. How many times has an artist set out to create something that turns out nothing like the intended results? Yet, the frame of mind and artistic exploration during the creative process has now defined the piece as well. (Basically- you start out carving a tiki and it ends up looking African or Pacific Northwest or Mayan as opposed to Polynesian, yet you still can't help but call it a Tiki, because that was the original intent.) And that's just part of the innocence of artistic expression which in and of itself can never be defined as 'wrong' (even tho the created piece itself may be mis-classified in the end).

Beyond that- I think It's how the artists have 'found' tiki for themselves and their knowledge of the subject matter.. For some, what starts out as a whimsical journey becomes a lifestyle. Alot of the tikiphiles who create Modern Tiki arrived at tiki via different avenues- Through/reliving childhood memories, music, cocktails/lounge, mug collecting, vacations, surfing, etc.. So there's a lot of variance in the inspiration that hones in on a more narrowly defined view of tiki.

B

Let me start off by saying that I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and its counter part. The questions posed to TC on both are important. The question was asked on this thread for artists: Why do you as an artist feel your art qualifies as Tiki Art?

There have been a few posts on my carving thread where people have said something like, "I don't know if it's Tiki, but I like it." I think my art can be considered Tiki for a few simple reasons. I use stylistic elements that pertain to Polynesian art in my carving; Polynesian artifacts are directly referenced in my sculptures; I also use animal symbolism (though not a primary focus of Polynesian culture, animal symbolism was nevertheless used) to convey primordial concepts such as fertility (rabbits), the metaphysical (magic), and the erotic (pee pees). In my ceramics, I subscribe to the philosophy posted earlier that drinking vessels today should transmogrify us from the mundane to the outer limits in the same type way that was experienced in the Poly Pop genre.

My art has been a progression over many years. I have experimented with the personification of the rabbit to explore the vulnerability of humanity. In Western culture the rabbit is a symbol for a number of different concepts: fertility (multiply like rabbits, pregnancy tests); magic (pull a rabbit out of your hat); trickery (What's up Doc? - Trix are for kids). I find it challenging to juxtapose the soft and fluffy bunny image with savagery. This juxtaposition creates an element of shock in the aesthetic that I like. The creative process for me is often a chaotic combination of old and new images; soft and hard; it is a blending of different aesthetics and cultures. One interesting point I've come across is that "new works [by contemporary Polynesian artists] depend on knowledge of the traditional aesthetic systems in which the artists have immersed themselves [and] create new forms based on their own backgrounds and experiences, producing fine art that makes Pacific themes understandable in today’s world." (http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-284238-2.pdf). In my current works, I fall under this same guideline by combining traditional Western symbolism with varying traditional primitive symbols.

There are inherent issues with using definitions in conjunction with a creative process; and they can be at odds. As an artist, my biggest joy is to focus on the creative process; I like to get my hands dirty. Having said this, the questions brought up on all threads about the definition of Tiki have been thought provoking and interesting. I've used a good quote from a teacher of mine once before on TC who said of similar questions, "these are issues of content and real personal and social worth. Without the continued addressing of these and similar questions being asked in all fields of human endeavor, we would be reduced to the function of robots, and then the issues of our children and their future is a moot point."

Babalu
(aka: Space Hippie)

T
Toshi posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2008 8:35 PM

On 2008-06-11 16:57, woofmutt wrote:
Something to consider with the big teeth: As a culture we are currently more tooth focused than we've ever been. Good dental hygiene and access to dental care has led to more people having teeth which are in decent shape.

Having good teeth has led to the pursuit of ideal teeth with whitening, straightening, and capping. Maybe the big teeth Tiki are just a reflection of what's going on in the culture.

Well I did this for a dentist...

I'm new here but have been into Polynesian culture and art since I've been a kid but I sculpt foam, signfoam and styro from working in the sign business which is familiar to me, hdu has been easily available, so I didn't know if this would be looked down on, I originally quit making tiki related stuff because I thought it should be made out of wood, now over the years I've learned various faux wood tecniques and starting to go back to tiki, plus I found I can make stryo look like rock, which would be what my favorite tikis are made out of.

I also airbrush so I may have a few things that could make it into the bad paint thread lol. Art should be a reflection of the artist though, some can hold to traditional styles others stray from the path, and then there's no reason why you can't jump back and forth.

As for culture I'm very interested in traditional Asian art too, different culture in general fuels my interests, and my art. I think it is important to do reserch on any subject, I have thousands of pics and many books I've collected over the years, you can't draw a tiger with a picture of a goat.

Lastly being a musician I found over the years you can't please everyone, but you can please yourself, it's the same for art, whether it sells or not is another matter.

T

I don't know if my art qualifies as Tiki Art. I do know that I like it, and hope others do as well. I create from what inspires me, and for a long time that inspiration has radiated from all things Tiki. I have a very narrow definition of what Tiki is: pre-1940 Hawaiian origin. First cousins would be Polynesian and South Pacific art. Second cousins would be African and other tribal based art. Distant cousins would be the Tiki Nouveau, commercial stuff in the last 10yrs. Don't break out the pitch forks, I love the new styles and work that people are creating! Its just not my style, and not my first inspiration. I try not to get cartoony or "commercial" with my art, I just like playing with color. I'm not looking to make a living from my art. Its my hobby, my therapy, my escape.

But who knows, artistic release affects people in different ways. When I eventually pick up that mallet and chisel, I might go straight for the bug eyes and big teeth. :D

...okay, great.

I read that thread by bigbrotiki: "is it tiki?", and then THIS one. And now, ....now I got total TIKI BLOCK! I'm trying to make a sketch for my next tiki painting, but I keep thinking "is it tiki enough? ...and, why am I even going to paint this anyways?"

Terrific. Fine.

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-07-04 18:16 ]

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 7:41 PM

Brad,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in...Brother, your work is trail blazing! Quit thinking so much. Your pushing the media and the content wonderfully...it's great stuff!

Let the art critics and historians go where they will...just paint man. It's you that feeds them, not the other way around.

As a painter you might have read "Seeing Is Forgetting The Name Of The Thing One Sees" - A life of Contemporary Artist Robert Irwin, by Lawrence Weschler...if not, you ought to give it a go through. A short read, I think you would like it.

PS...here's another good one - "The Shape of Content" by Ben Shahn

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-07-06 20:54 ]

T

On 2008-06-12 06:57, Sophista-tiki wrote:

I have struggled for yrs trying to be respected in the bigger tiki scene not only for my interpretation of tiki, but also for the fact that Ive been at it for so long. Unfortunately I do think its all about whats popular and what sells. and that's what perpetuates the look that defines tiki art for so many. I see time and time again that people will pay hundreds of dollars for a print from an artist that they consider popular just because everyone else says so. and not be willing to pay $50.00 or $60.00 for an original painting from someone who has not been accepted as popular. So around and around we go!

Sophista. I think the reason for your current state of popularity is completely geographical. If you lived in Southern California and were able to vend at the more events, and participate in the gallery art shows, I'm sure more people would have a SophistaTiki original on their wall. Plus, a little face time with people goes a long way. I've been a fan of your work since the days of Tiki News and I think your stuff is great, I just think you have to "go to where the tiki is", more often. I'm really looking forward to your "Home Sweet Googie" Sign art that's listed on your site as "Coming Attractions". Cool stuff.

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 9:57 AM

awesome idea for a thread.

i will post on my reasons when i have time, but in the meantime:

Tiki Shark!!! here is your certification of culturally appropriate, relevant and authentic tiki art:

ANY art that comes from the brain and paw of Brad Parker, however more or less filtered it is from his life experience and observation, is hereby deemed authentic by the Kapu Order of Tiki Artists.

now git back to work.

t

Pages: 1 37 replies