Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Are these Witco?

Pages: 1 14 replies

L
laney posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2003 10:09 AM

I know they aren't tiki but I had to have them for my spare/craft/sewing/crap room. Why? Because I'm the Hoity-Toity QUEEN!
(Plus the price was right,$24.99 for a pair of cheesy retro art pieces this size 14" wide 48" tall!) Orange is the main color in that room so they'll be right at home.

These pics were taken from the ebay listing so I don't know how long they'll be available. I still plan on taking pics of all my Witco for ID.

Congrats Laney!
I had those two pieces in my "favorites" file to bid on, but when I went up on the day they were going to end, something told me to just let them go. Looks like you were putting out the vibe that you really needed them!
It does seem to be a Witco, since I have seen these same ones (with different shades of wood and background) on ebay with a witco (rubber?)stamping on the back of the frame. I knew by the description that the seller put on these that someone would get these for the minimum bid of $24.99.

SugarCaddyDaddy

Yaa, Vitko zey are, simply named King and Queen, as early as 1964...

F

they are witco, yep

are they tiki? hmmm

M

Comments on this bar?

More pics at the Ebay listing:

Funky Pine

If we had the room, and lived close enough, I'd be getting this set. It's one fine funky piece of Tiki Bar.

midnite

This would be a 1971 Kenya bar, but the backing has been altered from faux leopard on both stool and bar. The horns were originally closer to the head.
Nice, if you live in New York.

"... Shipping charges for the larger items start at about $200+..."

D

Sven do you know why aren't all of the Witco pieces stamped? It's like there wasn't any reason why some are stamped and others aren't. I just got my ebay buy! I am soooo happpppy! This thing is HUGE!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-03-05 13:55 ]

What do you mean by "stamped"? Mine only have the little "Witco-When decor becomes art" label stapled on the back, or are signed "Wilrongo" (= WILliam Westenhaver-RON Hovde-GOrdon Robb)

D

Sorry if I wasn't very clear posting my question. I just don't understand why some have a label or a marking on them as a Witco while others don't. I would love to know more about Witco, how is the book coming along?

K

Here is another witco bar and stools on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513531211&category=20092

it is in California

Ach ya, that is pretty nice...but too expensive, considering that BOTH stools are pretty badly split.
Although splitting was a part of the Witco look, here it is detrimental. I think that is why they posted such a blurry picture.
Wasn't this set up before?
By the way, it's a 1968 Fiji bar and stools.

Dawn, if you are talking about the stapled Witco labels, those were pulled out by the sellers or the owners, or fell of over the years, who knows. What other "markings" have you seen?

D

I have seen a piece that had something that looked like a emblem type stamp of a W and a C, I think. The mark was on the burlap material on the front bottom corner of the wall sculpture. Hard to describe or remember. But that was the only Witco I have ever came across with one on it. At least I think it was a Witco. Most of the Witco stuff I have seen doesn't have any markings on them, making them harder to identify as Witco's and not knock off's.

BigBro~
I have seen a few "rubberstamp" type stampings on the back of pictures, where the "W" on Witco almost looks like a large "double-V" and then "itco" next to it. Of course, alot have just the catalog ID letter/number code hand-written on the back such as P-40, P-65, etc..

SugarCaddyDaddy

D

Yea SugarCaddyDaddy! Thats the logo I saw too! It was awhile ago, I couldn't remember the design exactly. But that was it.

Aaah sooo. Have seen that in print, but not on items. There are not that many Witco knock offs really (with the exception of the Alibi!), but generic "stuff" that has the "rustic" look, from the black rod iron era. If it is Tiki and has that torched swamp cedar grain, it usually is Witco. If it it just rustic conquistador/viking, my sensibilities have not (d)evolved enough to be into it, Witco or not.

Pages: 1 14 replies