Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What would it take?

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

Since I've started reading books and articles on the subject of Polynesian pop culture in America, I would say that almost all of them paint a bleak picture towards the future of "Tiki." That picture shows that eventually "Tiki" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "Tikiphiles."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic tiki icons like the Aku Tiki Room in Kewanee, IL. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a tiki bar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

I'm just curious to know;

1. Is it possible to bring back the tiki culture in America close to the way it was? (I think we all know it will never be exactly the same as in the 50's & 60's.)
  2. What would it take to bring it back?
  3. How much would be enough? 25%, 50%, 75%? (Right now I would say we are less that 1% from the peak.)

..stop double posting!!

Sorry about the double post. Didn't mean to. I though it didn't post in the other forum! :o

[ Edited by: tikijoeusaf 2008-06-12 12:06 ]

On 2008-06-12 11:22, tikijoeusaf wrote:
Since I've started reading books and articles on the subject of Polynesian pop culture in America, I would say that almost all of them paint a bleak picture towards the future of "Tiki." That picture shows that eventually "Tiki" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "Tikiphiles."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic tiki icons like the Aku Tiki Room in Kewanee, IL. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a tiki bar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

I'm just curious to know;

1. Is it possible to bring back the tiki culture in America close to the way it was? (I think we all know it will never be exactly the same as in the 50's & 60's.)
  2. What would it take to bring it back?
  3. How much would be enough? 25%, 50%, 75%? (Right now I would say we are less that 1% from the peak.)

It has been degenerating since the 60's, when rock and roll started. Since the 70's, when all the tiki hotels and tiki apartments started turning into crack houses, and since the 80's when Jimmy Buffett became really popular.

It's from a vanished time, and you can never get it back. Even if you could, would anyone really want it to? I for one, enjoy the urban-archeological aspect of collecting, finding, exploring.

By keeping the modern scene going, the "neo-tiki" scene, we are a nitch. I believe mainstream exposure would destroy it, dillute it, ruin it. I like it small and localized. I like the fact that it is not really popular outside of Tiki Central.
I try to explain to co-worker's the appeal of Tiki, and very few of them "get it". So I really don't bother anymore. It excites me, but not the rest of them. I almost think it is better that way.

funny, we were discussing this very same decline on Amish Central! there's a bleak picture towards the future of "Amish" That picture shows that eventually "Amish" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "BonnetHeads."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic Amishi icons like the Horse and Buggy Room in Intercourse, PA. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a Amishbar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

1. Is it possible to bring back the buttonless clothing? damn those who endorse eye and hooks and zippers.
  2. What would it take to bring SHUNNING back?
  3. How many bearded men (and women) would be enough? 25%, 50%, 75%?

honest to fucking god, use the search feature, you've been here a whopping 4 months, and obviously didnt bother reading the big yellow warning:

**Tiki Central has over 11,000 topics!

Before posting, please use our Search page.

Your post probably fits best in an existing topic instead of a new one. You can click here to post a new topic If you're confident your topic has not already been discussed.**

On 2008-06-12 12:14, dogbytes wrote:
funny, we were discussing this very same decline on Amish Central! there's a bleak picture towards the future of "Amish" That picture shows that eventually "Amish" as we know it, will only live on in the basements and backyards of us "BonnetHeads."

At current I would say, that picture is slowing becoming true with the almost constant loss of such classic Amishi icons like the Horse and Buggy Room in Intercourse, PA. There also seems to be a sense of impending doom, that I think is growing in that whenever someone recommends a Amishbar or restaurant they do so with an attitude of; "get there while it lasts!"

1. Is it possible to bring back the buttonless clothing? damn those who endorse eye and hooks and zippers.
  2. What would it take to bring SHUNNING back?
  3. How many bearded men (and women) would be enough? 25%, 50%, 75%?

honest to fucking god, use the search feature, you've been here a whopping 4 months, and obviously didnt bother reading the big yellow warning:

**Tiki Central has over 11,000 topics!

Before posting, please use our Search page.

Your post probably fits best in an existing topic instead of a new one. You can click here to post a new topic If you're confident your topic has not already been discussed.**

Wow! Excuse me for asking a question. I'm surprised that someone who's been here 4 years would know the rules by now.

"Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but be polite."

Although, I admit to having a little bit of wow look at all that tiki that once was nostalgia, I think the present state of tiki is pretty darn good. Not only are there still existing tiki bars but there are many treasures to unearth when out thrifting and flea marketing. If you want to see tiki everywhere maybe you should collect or enjoy another trend. I heard that OwlCentral is looking for new members? Or there are Precious Moment's clubs and probably Snow Babies clubs.

Let's keep tiki on the map but please remember that too much of anything is not always a good thing.

Tikisgrl

Guess you didn't read the rules of 'KoolKids' go back and read them...
The 'Kids' hit and low and hard...so be prepared!
Welcome to T.C..... you come back now, you hear !!!

On 2008-06-12 12:37, TikiLaLe wrote:

Wow I'm a "KoolKid" I'm so honored! I just thought I was posting a response to yet another how can we save tiki post.

Well now that I'm a "KoolKid"... Use the search feature everyone it's fun, it's easy and it's informative!!!

"KoolKid" Tikisgrl

..please respond to the duplicate post...that's where all the important conversation is taking place...

I would be surprised if the current popularity of mainstream "tiki" rides out any further than Disneyland's 50th Anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room in 2013.

The wave is cresting and like all things "pop" tiki will return to it's obscure niche that only the diehards will carry on until the next resurgence (twenty to thirty years from now).

In some ways I hope I am wrong, but trends die quickly. If I had the money to open a Tiki Bar here locally five or six years ago, I would have done it then, but today, I don't think I would and there isn't any competition for fifty miles in any direction. I just don't see the house getting much bigger.

You are asking questions that many of us have pondered and discussed here on Tiki Central. Currently there are 8080 registered users, maybe twice that many lurking and if you double or triple that number outside of this forum (those who aren't aware of Tiki Central) but enjoy tiki, then you have less than 50,000 fans of tiki or tiki related culture.

Not even a good attendance day at your favorite theme park!

That being said, enjoy what you find here for what it is worth. Use the search function. I too, learned this lesson the hard way early on...you may think you are the first one to bring a subject up and you may just be, but search first.

Harsh lessons are learned early!

And tikisgrl...you have always been a Kool Kid in my book and great to see you back here posting!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, trend or no trend)!

T

On 2008-06-12 12:44, Tikisgrl wrote:

Wow I'm a "KoolKid" I'm so honored! I just thought I was posting a response to yet another how can we save tiki post.

Well now that I'm a "KoolKid"... Use the search feature everyone it's fun, it's easy and it's informative!!!

"KoolKid" Tikisgrl

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>
Sorry to piss on your back and tell you it's raining..... but my post wasn't directed toward you...

T

On 2008-06-12 13:13, TikiLaLe wrote:

"KoolKid" Tikisgrl

Sorry to piss on your back and tell you it's raining..... but my post wasn't directed toward you...

Oh sure, now I'm not a "KoolKid" you can't take it back you already said I was, so there. For what it's worth the only "KoolKid's" are in your mind. Those of us that are long time posters and members have some right to point out that there is a search feature and that this material has been gone over numerous times before. So post some content that's worthwhile or go away!

On 2008-06-12 12:12, lucas vigor wrote:
By keeping the modern scene going, the "neo-tiki" scene, we are a nitch.

Wow, we're a "nitch"? Well, son of a biche!

TM

Of course we are. Haven't you found yourself explaining to non-tiki friends that you spent the weekend at some tiki event or happening, only to draw blank stares?

But mention Jimmy Buffett or the grateful dead and they know all about it.

Sams seafood (now Kona's) has been there I don't know how many years, and I am trying to get co-workers to go to some of the upcoming shows, and a large majority of them have never even heard of the place!

To me, that's insane.

T

On 2008-06-12 13:43, Tikisgrl wrote:

"KoolKid" Tikisgrl

Oh sure, now I'm not a "KoolKid" you can't take it back you already said I was, so there. For what it's worth the only "KoolKid's" are in your mind. Those of us that are long time posters and members have some right to point out that there is a search feature and that this material has been gone over numerous times before. So post some content that's worthwhile or go away!

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:
Go away... Guess that 95 degree heat got you all riled up!
Stay Kool

T

It will never be the way it used to, just like there wouldn't be sock hops and vaudeville and big band swing clubs. Take it for what it is: a niche sub-culture like the rockabilly hot rod scene or modern burlesque scene.

T

On 2008-06-12 15:20, TikiLaLe wrote:

On 2008-06-12 13:43, Tikisgrl wrote:

"KoolKid" Tikisgrl

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:
Go away... Guess that 95 degree heat got you all riled up!
Stay Kool

Naw it's not the hot weather it's you that riled me up 'cause I want to be a KoolKid & then you took it back!

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:58 ]

Yes, I agree that Tiki as it was is gone forever and that the "Neo-Tiki" scene in a way is better than a bunch of new places since, the current scene is populated by people who appreciate it and want to preserve it the way it is.

What I find interesting is that some of you have mentioned that when you try to explain Tiki to others very few "get it." Since I started collecting books and other Tiki memorabilia, people I know and share my Tiki finds with do "get it" and want to know more. The quote I often hear from people who come back from vacations in Miami and LA is that; "I would have went there if I knew about it" (I then tell them to go buy Tiki Roadtrip) which is what seems to be one of the main reasons we are losing so many Tiki icons, not enough business. So I believe that it is possible for a slight reassurance of Polynesian Pop. Not the huge cultural movement that we saw in the 50's & 60's but, enough to keep the places we love in business for another 50-60 years and perhaps launch a few new ones that will keep the same style alive.

T

You know, I wish someone would make a web-site so we could discuss all things tiki. Oh wait, we're already on it. I second the notion of using the search feature.

i dig this tiki thing , do i want the everyday lamen to know about it no..... why because i guess im eclectic i dont want every tom dick an jane likeining what i like i dont want tiki to come in and go out like a bad fad they drug threw wal mart. or costco, its a tribal thing a crazed out mai tai cult thing stirred not shaken please and i would like that 400lb statue in the corner please .... thing! you see they are repro ing italian styles in a massive way they repro the toys in a massive way but thank tiki they have limeted the reproductions to tasteful copies or artist originals to obtain cult /eclectic status you must hunt to get what you want not go to your local store and say i'll take a case of these to go please, which sadly has happened to so many things over the years and get pushed out of existence !! keep it in the family if you got the cash to build a bar /tatto parlour/ or store/ make it uniquely yours and i'll hope to see it someday/drink with you someday /or be tattooed by you someday peace BAB

J

I haven't examined the "Rules" of the forum recently, but did someone create a new TC rule stating that punctuation was strictly forbidden?

I'll third the use of the search feature. Decent discussion here. Just redundant.
These little pissing matches where everyone quotes each other are getting old.

TL

I agree that we don't want "everybody" to be into tiki, but I don't think there's much risk of that. I also know that if we don't welcome new people to the world of tiki, it'll die out. I guess that's great if all you want is to snatch up every mug on ebay so you can hoard it, but it also means that the few remaining tiki bars will be closing for lack of interest.

How do get new converts? I don't know. But I do know that acting like complete a-holes to a newbie who expresses interest is probably not the best way to go about it. If they do something "wrong", it's possible to tell them that nicely, so they don't do it again, without jumping down their throats.

So I say welcome, Tikijoeusaf. Sorry you caught a few of us on a bad day.

(and no, I'm not a newbie myself. I've been lurking for years, and posted a few times under a name tied to an old email address.)

TL

P.S. a few points I forgot to make above:

While I'm sure there have been many threads about the question tikijoeusaf raised, it's not like the topic lends itself to obvious search terms, like a place or event would. (I realize the double posting is a seperate issue) And if you would like to direct discussion back to a previous thread, please provide a link to that thread.

Most importantly, we need to consider what will happen if the tiki world is limited to its' existing fans, by this exclusive "tikier than thou" attitude. It means that, within a few years, the events will die out because there won't be enough attendees to make them viable. The great artists and craftsmen who try to keep tiki alive while making a living at the same time will retire or turn to something else, not to be replaced. I'm not saying I want to multiply like the frickin "parrotheads", but if we can't maintain a certain critcal mass of fans, tiki will be dead for good.

T

Actually, if you had taken the time to read the entire post you would notice that this is a double post.

Try going here for some serious discussion of what would it take: SERIOUS DISCUSSION

oh for cryin out loud..tiki is not going to "die out" if we fail to get more recruits as one person above has stated. it was here before you stumbled on it and it will always be here long after you and others have gotten bored with it....yeesh!!

TL

On 2008-06-13 07:16, Tikisgrl wrote:
Actually, if you had taken the time to read the entire post you would notice that this is a double post.

Try going here for some serious discussion of what would it take: SERIOUS DISCUSSION

Actually, if you taken the time to read MY (P.S.) post you'd notice that I'm aware it was a double post. He immediately apologized for the double post when it was brought to his attention, then he had 3 different people jump on his ass for not searching.

B

And here I thought "someone" had forgotten to take her menopause pills for the day.

Group hug, please!
Beth, if you're not a kool kid, then take solace in knowing you're the best damn tiki huntress in the northeast!

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 21:42 ]

R

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Someone just lock this thread.

For a bunch of older folks you all sure act like brats.... :lol:

Seriously.

Can't everyone just get along? And get over it?

I'm annoyed by the random one-liner jabs being placed here too.

Someone just lock this before it gets outta hand. -_-;;

Well said, Ravenne!

T

On 2008-06-13 18:55, mymotiki wrote:
Miss Swan has spoken

Explain? Who is Miss Swan?

On 2008-06-13 20:03, TikiPug wrote:

Miss Swan has spoken

And why has she spoken?

R

On 2008-06-13 20:50, BambooLodge wrote:

Miss Swan has spoken

And why has she spoken?

Miss Swan

I think Mymotiki was trying to be subtle and thrown in a racist comment towards dogbytes or possibly myself.

As we are both asian.

Makes my heart warm knowing racism is alive and well, even on TC.

Good Job Mymotiki!

Setting a great example for the young folks :)

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:33 ]

lock it???....no way.....let these folks vent and hash it out amongst themselves.... treat this thread like the car wreck that it is....and if you can't stand the sight of the gore, look away- no one is forcing you to view this thread...but for god's sake don't obstruct anyone else's view of the wreckage.....

we can't police everyone just cause we disagree .....save it for church. Har!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-14 06:01 ]

T

On 2008-06-13 20:55, ravenne wrote:

On 2008-06-13 20:50, BambooLodge wrote:

Miss Swan has spoken

And why has she spoken?

Miss Swan

I think Mymotiki was trying to be subtle and thrown in a racist comment towards dogbytes or possibly myself.

As we are both asian.

Makes my heart warm knowing racism is alive and well, even on TC.

Good Job Mymotiki!

Setting a great example for the young folks :)

Mymotiki is a racist asshole. Thanx for showing us your true colors.

miss swan is the character from mad t.v., correct??

A

I hate to have to say this for my first post, but as a new member I'm disappointed in what I'm seeing here.

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:58 ]

A

Oh yeah, the real world is much more appealing right now. Out.

With that I believe I will say goodbye to Tiki Central….

I used to think that this would be a good location to ask and answer questions intelligently on the subject of Polynesian pop culture in America. But in asking a question (yes, I did use the search engine but, I felt the results did not specifically answer the topic I was posting and yes I made a mistake by double posting which I apologized for twice.) I was badgered with ridicule and sarcasm, and then labeled one of those; “lets save Tiki” guys. It seems that unless you are a famous author or been a member of this forum since its inception, as a newcomer you are essentially treated the same as a; “plebe” on your first day at West Point!

Apparently (as it’s been pointed out in this thread) the topic of discussing “Tiki” has become redundant in this forum. Instead I have concluded for the most part, since I joined this forum it has degenerated into simply a portal where people show off their collections with a taunting attitude of; “look what I have and you don’t” then of course engage in colorful displays of name calling and trying to get the last word.

So, to those who have made me feel welcome, have maturely answered my questions and try hold this forum to a high degree I say; “Thank you.” For those of you new to this forum beware! For the rest, have fun pissing on yourselves.

Tikijoeusaf

A

So I take a peak once more before I head out for the day, and I just want to say this- We are supposed to be "celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop". I'm assuming that includes the spirit and feeling its supposed to invoke. I don't see much of that going on here.

We are a community with shared interests and as with any board, there are a few individuals that seen to be more prominent than others. Not neccessarily a bad thing. BUT, this type of behavior is not what TC is about. Yes I'm a long tome lurker, but that gave me a chance to get a feel for the community and what I can offer. What I can offer here is this-

When a member asks a question he thought was a legitimate and as a result gets run off the board, do think there's a problem here? Do we as members owe it to each other to treat each other with respect, new and old alike? This is a "community board", not a "community of a few" board. We should all be allowed to make mistakes once in a while!

On 2008-06-14 10:43, ahvyna wrote:
So I take a peak once more before I head out for the day, and I just want to say this- We are supposed to be "celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop". I'm assuming that includes the spirit and feeling its supposed to invoke. I don't see much of that going on here.

We are a community with shared interests and as with any board, there are a few individuals that seen to be more prominent than others. Not neccessarily a bad thing. BUT, this type of behavior is not what TC is about. Yes I'm a long tome lurker, but that gave me a chance to get a feel for the community and what I can offer. What I can offer here is this-

When a member asks a question he thought was a legitimate and as a result gets run off the board, do think there's a problem here? Do we as members owe it to each other to treat each other with respect, new and old alike? This is a "community board", not a "community of a few" board. We should all be allowed to make mistakes once in a while!

it's your loss if you want to bail because one thread in the thousands of threads here offends you....tiki central is a wealth of information and as long as you treat it that way it's a great resource......if you look at tiki central as if it's some sort of club where we are all supposed to get along just because we share a common interest in tiki ..... well, adios!!

for a long time lurker i'm suprised that when you finally decide to chime in, it's about making a fuss over one lousy thread.....you obviously have little to contribute if this is all ya got.....maybe if you were more involved and shared more of your tiki experience/collection with those of us here you wouldn't feel like such an outsider......

and again....there are many threads here i have no interest in...but i don't cry about it...i just don't bother viewing them....if you don't like something you see...don't look at it!!!....what do you gain by making a big "exit scene", expecting folks to feel bad cause the person with 4 posts is leaving us for good????

TL

I think we have a winner in the "who's the biggest asshole on Tiki Central" category

Pages: 1 2 74 replies