Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Take a LATIN ESCAPADE with the George Shearing Quintet!

Pages: 1 5 replies

While not Tiki or exotica, I believe this wonderful, long out of print LP from 1956 falls under the category of easy listening or lounge.

I recently bought a near pristine copy of Latin Escapade by the George Shearing Quintet, made a quick rip of it to my computer (that doesn't sound half bad, thanks in no small part to the condition of the vinyl!), and decided to share the wealth with all of you here at Tiki Central!

I almost didn't buy the album, but it looked so familiar and I knew I'd never see it again if I put it back in the bin. Plus, how could I resist that artwork or that cover model!? :lol:

Latin Escapade is typical George Shearing with the addition of some great Les Baxter-esque percussion. I have a few other George Shearing LPs and CDs, and after awhile, his vibes meets piano formula can lull me into quite the mellow mood. Not so with Latin Escapade! This is swank cocktail music with a beat that just dares the listener to get up and mambo!

Click here and follow the on screen instructions to download the entire album (with front LP cover art only - I was lazy and didn't feel like scanning the back. Sorry.) via Rapidshare.de.

Enjoy the music!
Peace,
Peter

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2008-06-15 20:10 ]

S

That is an irrestible cover .

I saw George Shearing perform in Kawaguchi , Japan , just down the street from where we were living at the time . This was 1991 or 2 . My daughter was 3 or 4 at the time and Mr. Shearing's playing made quite an impression on her . She began taking piano lessons soon thereafter . Went on to win many competitions in Tokyo and in Kumamoto , where we reside now .

Martin Denny admittedly copied George Shearing's sound. Just add primitive instruments, bird calls, and stir gently! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

D

Latin Escapade has got to be one of my favorite Shearing LPs!

Great album, thanks for sharing. I lucked on this one and 'Latin Lace' in a thrift store years ago. Great listening, great cover art.

IZ

One of my all time favorites as well. Latin Lace is not bad either. I've been listening to that a lot lately.

~glen leslie

Pages: 1 5 replies