Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Review the Mai Kai Experience.

Pages: 1 18 replies

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34227-d465787-Reviews-Mai_Kai_Restaurant_Lounge-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

My experience at the Mai Kai was so outstanding that I just had to add a review to counter the negative review that somebody posted on June 9th.

I can't let a negative review stand, especially when I have a hard time believing that the negative review is completely truthful.

If you joined us at the Mai Kai during the Hukilau, could you add a review to mine on the above website, please?

PS I have nothing to do with that website or business . . . I'm just a Mai Kai fan who wants to support the Mai Kai in any way that I can.

Thanks.

Another option is to register with the site and then vote the 'bad' reviews as Not Helpful. That will help minimize the impact of the 'bad' reviews.

We can't stop the bad reviews because a lot of people go in thinking they are getting something like the Cheescake Factory or some other chain restaurant and have no idea they are walking into a 52 year old piece of Tiki History.

And, my recommendation to all of you when you go back to the Mai-Kai... try the steaks! What magic the Chinese Ovens work I don't know but magic is about the only way to describe it.

The Mai-Kai is currently the best undiscovered steak house in all of Florida!

Don't forget the au gratin potatoes that come in their own crock pot!!!

They sure compliment those steaks very well. :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I like to tell people to try "anything that is cooked in the Chinese Oven"!! Prime Rib - mmmmmmm!

You guys are making me hungry!

S

Last year at Hukilau I had a steak and the au gratin potatoes and they were amazing. This past weekend I had a cashew crusted sea bass that nearly made me cry it was so wonderful. I have always had wonderful food at the Mai Kai and I think that those people had to be out of their minds to write a review like that. Anyway, how did they get out the door only spending $102 on two people? Seems nearly impossible to me... but then again I couldn't ever visit without spending nearly that on drinks alone. :)

Suzanne

That's great, folks!

Could you take the time to write a review on the website that I posted above, please? It could help the Mai Kai.

Thanks.

D

Jeff,
They took the potatoes off the menu!!!! I asked one of the waiters about it and he confirmed that they had removed them from the menu. I was so bummed

K

On 2008-06-16 09:38, AlohaStation wrote:
I like to tell people to try "anything that is cooked in the Chinese Oven"!! Prime Rib - mmmmmmm!

YES -- the Chinese ovens rock. I had the salmon that was cooked in the C.O., and it was amazing. The flavor of the wood fire adds so much to the rich flavor of the fish. It was maybe just slightly more cooked than I prefer (I like a thin strip of uncooked fish in the middle), but then, they're using ovens fired with burning logs. It was fantastic. Oh, and my brown rice was cooked to perfection, and with a lot of flavor. I tasted a piece of Josh's steak, and I have to say, it was also quite amazing.

You get what you pay for, and it's worth every penny, IMO.

Kanekila

W

Anything out of the chinese ovens is fabulous, I'm thinking of constructing one myself.

I can't imagine what the people who leave bad reviews must be ordering. Three nights in a row at the Mai Kai should have sated us, but it was just a tease! We'd be in trouble if we lived nearby, I have no clue how all you locals resist.

My single complaint, if that's what you could call it, is that the Florida heat melts the drinks too fast. Awesome old-school place.

T

In a word : MECCA

The Mai Kai is reviewed favorably on Yelp. It's got only 8 reviews (as apposed to 51), but they are all great. :)

K

The Mai Kai drinks are delicious and I couldn't stop eating the crab rangoon!
Plus how can you beat the happy hour of 2 for one drinks and half price appetizers,
even on the weekends! If I lived in Florida I'd be there all the time. The staff
are so nice even when busy, and I just love exploring every nook and cranny of the
place. Strolling in the garden with a tiki cocktail on a balmy evening, that's the
good life!!! I enjoyed my sea bass entree on Saturday and my husband devoured his duck.
We loved watching the waiters prepare flaming coffee drinks and desserts. And
who else has the Mystery Girl???? The Mai Kai gets my vote!

When I was at the Mai Kai recently for Hukilau 08, I tried a drink that is NOT on the their menu--the Grandfather Barrel. It is basically their Rum Barrel, but with top shelf aged rums. That was the smoothest cocktail I've had EVER. It was so well made and the rums were so smooth that I could have downed it quickly. Thankfully I paced myself, because it was full of rum! At $22 it wasn't an everyday drink, but if you ever are at the Mai Kai and want an amazing drink experience, order the Grandfather Barrel. Simply Amazing!!

S

I thought the Grandfather Barrel replaced rum with Bourbon?

I didn't know that. I'm not sure. I was told (by someone hanging out in the bar) that it was aged rums. There may have well ben bourbon in there, but I didn't really detect it. It certainly was the smoothest cocktail I've had in a great while.

S

I didn't know about this drink. One more reason to take another trip to Ft. Lauderdale!

Suzanne

This was the absolute best tiki bar we'd ever been to - we couldn't stop talking about it for days. We went to the Virgin Islands right after the Hukilau to see my brother, and on the way back home to SF we had a connection in FLL ... missed it due to bad weather, so we spent the night in FLL on the evening of the 18th and went to the Mai Kai AGAIN!

We can't express how happy we are that it is not closing. Whew!

Pages: 1 18 replies