Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

OAHU: Question for those who live there

Pages: 1 17 replies

I

Hi there, I am hoping some locals can give me some advice. I want to buy artwork from local artists when I visit next. Mostly looking for tropical style, but could be anything. Any advice on where to look will be greatly appreciated. Are there any artists co-ops?

I'm also planning on checking out the Fabric Mart. Any comments?

K

I would suggest the so-called "fence artists" who sell their paintings on the fence alongside the Waikiki Zoo on Monserratt Avenue on the weekends. There's quite a variety of styles & subject matter.
Of course, there are a number of galleries In Chinatown and some in Waikiki as well.

I

Thank you. I don't know how the heck I've missed that the other times I've been there. Is it a certain time of day that the fence artists are there? I've walked past the zoo so many times when they weren't.

Will actively seek them out!

Thanks for the Chinatown suggestion too. I found this url listing of galleries if anyone else is interested:

http://www.gohawaii.com/oahu/plan/things_to_do_on_oahu/attractions/points_of_interest/galleries

Thanks.

[ Edited by: irishf 2008-06-16 16:00 ]

You may also wish to check out the "flea" market at Aloha Stadium.

You also might want to check bruddah' Gecko. He talks good story too.
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

On 2008-06-16 15:51, irishf wrote:
Thank you. I don't know how the heck I've missed that the other times I've been there. Is it a certain time of day that the fence artists are there? I've walked past the zoo so many times when they weren't.

I believe they are there on Sunday afternoons.

I would definitely try to hook up with Gecko and spend most of your money with him. Last time we were on Oahu we went to a small shop on the North Shore on the way to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck(a must) and found some very nice local work- spear with marlin bill tip and some nice carved items. PM me and I will try to find the name. I wasn't that impressed with the stadium flea market. It's great for bulk macadamia nuts and straight up tourist souvenier stuff(think ABC store), but as far as traditional Hawaiian art it was not happening. Either way, go to Leonard's and eat manymany malasadas!

T

Go walk around Haleiwa town, north shore Oahu. Tons of galleries and local artists. There is a new store right next to the yogurt place, can't remember the name but all they deal with is local artists and the prices were good too.

Dont forget to check out Thor in Waikiki next to the International Marketplace.

I bought a super cool picture on the Diamond Head side fence of the zoo that was put on canvas of a honu that was taken underwater looking up at the turtle from a local guy that had lived there for the last 25 years, we kept talking and come to find out he grew up about 3 blocks from where i now live. Alot of them will ship your artwork home too so you dont have to worry about it getting smacked around or some extra fee at the airport. Support all things Hawaiian!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-06-17 11:51 ]

On 2008-06-17 10:35, tikihai wrote:
Go walk around Haleiwa town, north shore Oahu. Tons of galleries and local artists. There is a new store right next to the yogurt place, can't remember the name but all they deal with is local artists and the prices were good too.

Yeah, I think that may be the place I was talking about. Quality items though not cheap.

M

The zoo fence is the first place to check out, for sure. You'll probably spend all your kala right there.

I

THANK YOU everyone for the fantastic suggestions, I will be following your advice.

I have one of Gecko's mugs. Gotta find out what else he does.

Any advice on renting a vacation house for a week on a beach? So far we have only stayed in Waikiki, but it is so expensive, I think we might as well rent a house somewhere and cook our own meals. The last time we stayed at Outrigger, the one with Duke's, NEVER AGAIN. Hated it. No wonder there is tourist animosity. Lots of rude haoles there, and I know I'm a haole too. But that made me understand.

Previously we stayed at the Circle Hotel in Waikiki. I love their location and the staff were so friendly.

I can't wait to get there (champing on the bit).

OH and if anyone is reading this, do you remember the name of the tiki bar that's over near the airport? I have GOT to go there.

Locals I hope you will go see family friend Andy Sexton play and sing, he plays Tuesday nights at the Chart House with Dean, their act is called DNA. Great guys. Andy is in Simplisity.

I want puu puus! (can't say that to just anyone)

On 2008-06-26 13:13, irishf wrote:

OH and if anyone is reading this, do you remember the name of the tiki bar that's over near the airport? I have GOT to go there.

La Mariana on sand Island Access Road.

Oh, and the Thor Store next to IMP is closed. check 'em at the Waikiki Beachwalk (formerly Lewers Rd.)
Aloha,
:tiki:

Gecko has become the highlight of any trip to Oahu. You can find photos of his work on http://www.southseaarts.com. He does custom work in ceramics as well so you can make requests for special pieces.

He will be at Tiki Oasis 8 selling his art too. Tiki Oasis 8 is such an outstanding event that we have given up vacations to Hawaii and go to this event instead. All the major artists set up to sell.

The fun of being with so many of the tiki community in one place is great. There are open parties in the rooms (sign up for the crawl). Music on stage in the evenings.

It has it all including Gecko.

It would be great if you could join us all there, Wendy

I

Tiki Royale, THANKS for the info. And I'm disappointed the Thor Stor is no longer at that location, thanks for the heads up or I would have been looking and scratching my head.

Wendy, thanks for the warm invite! Maybe one day. I'm not ready to give up trade winds and ocean water, even for a fun hotel room party. We visit family friends while we are on Oahu. Maybe one day I'll play hooky from the annual visit to the in-laws and go to Tiki Oasis...while hubby visits his family...in BAKERSFIELD! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! We're on the East Coast, if I was in CA, I would definitely go to Tiki Oasis.

My next plot is getting to the Tiki Ti before an in-law visit.

Excellent new location for the Thor Store. Lewers Road is Waikiki's newest development. It is gloriously illuminated at night by Tiki torches and is around the corner from the Pink Lady.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2008-06-29 11:05 ]

DMT

I would definitely have to put my vote in for checking out Gecko's work.

I've lived in Hawaii 13 years and have been over to his place a couple times. He's a friendly, great guy. Always kind to my kids.

I recently decided to take a job in Perth, Australia and I was really lamenting my imminent potential reduction in Tiki lifestyle. But when my new employer told me they would ship everything I own down there - no matter how much it weighed - I quickly contacted Gecko to see if he had a a big carved Tiki ready to go on safari. He came through with this 6.5 foot beauty! It graced the memorial service of Martin Denny in Waikiki a few years back. Absolutely awesome. (It is shown here in my garage awaiting the big move this Monday).

I also picked up a black velvet painting from Gecko as well, to accompany the Tiki. I like the Polynesian pin-up style ones he has quite a lot, but my beautiful, half-Tongan wife prefers more traditional scenes. Gecko had a perfect fit - a local hula dancer framed by a Tiki from Puuhonua O Honaunau.

Well, when I picked up the Tiki up at his place I could tell it took something out of Gecko to part with it. The carver loved his creation... as do I. If you are reading this my friend, trust I will take great care of it, and install it in a manner that respectfully promotes the expansion of Tiki culture around the globe.

Mahalo,
Paul

Yeah, Gecko is one friendly guy. He's like a high water mark of aloha I try to aspire to.
Wow, that's a beautiful tiki! That he was at Mr Denny's service has a lot of meaning. Gosh, it'd break anyone's heart to part with it. ~ You cad! How could you! :)
Naw, he'll be a great tiki ambassador down under, I'm sure.

So Gecko and Thor fo' sure on Oahu. Isn't Vantiki over there on that island too?

Pages: 1 17 replies