Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

First post-Hukilau, Bum seminar inspired cocktail(s)

Pages: 1 4 replies

IZ

Ok, my very first one was a Painkiller, made by that mixologist to the gods, Quince-at-Danny's on our return from the airport Monday night. Coco-Creamy delicious, with a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon on top. Quince cut the straws short so your nose was just millimeters from the spice. What a great sensation.

But the second drink (and the first one made by my own hand - tonight) was Vic's Fog Cutter. It was fabulously tart, with that hint of Sherry float that makes the drink strangely tantalizing.

And this is the mug I drank it in (a mug the lovely Weenie Wahine picked up at the Hukilau):

If you were equally inspired by the Bum, post what you mixed together upon your return from Hukilau.

~glen leslie (a.k.a. I, Zombie)
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-06-19 08:16 ]

You're too kind, dude! I give credit to the Bum for that recipe, straight from the Grog Log. (And I credit to Bryce and Lisa for the inspiration to make that drink since they were going on about how good the Painkillers are at Forbidden Island).

Anyway, last Tuesday when Varla and I hit the Mai Kai before the Hukilau throngs arrived, we shared a Samoan Grog--a lovely little drink served in a thick-stemmed cocktail glass lined with an ice shell. We noticed there was a distinct hint of blackberry brandy. So, I flipped through Sippin' Safari and there it was staring right at me--Don' Own Grog! I mixed it exactly to the recipe, except I substituted Kaniche Martinique Rum for the New Orleans rum and served it in an ice cave.

Although it is more tart than the Mai Kai Samoan Grog, Don's Own Grog has a similar flavor profile. There is a spicy nose, a subtle dryness (surprisingly, since there are caramelly rums that go in it) and a nice floral finish. If you were in the mood for a drink closer to the Mai Kai version, I would suggest adding a little more sugar syrup and/or grenadine, and maybe using heavier rums.

IZ

Tonight's Bum inspired cocktail: the Noa Noa. Minty and slightly sweet, but robust -- with 3 oz of DEMERARA Rum, an oz of lime and a dash of bitters. A great drink to make while you are car-camping in the great outdoors. Try it next time you go camping.

Below is a picture of the version I made at home, tonight. The intoxicating liquids rest gently in a collapsed ice cave, waiting for my next sip. Oh, and in the background is my dumb-ass late night, post Mai Kai purchase at the Hustler store a few blocks away. All right, so I had a few too many Bora Bora's. I walked outta that store looking like a boob. Nothing new there, I guess... what was I thinking...

I, Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-06-19 20:05 ]

Our latest Mai-Kai cocktail review takes on the Samoan Grog. We trace its roots back to Don's Own Grog and offer up our own version to try in your own home bars if you're unfortunately nowhere near Fort Lauderdale.

Mahalo to Quince at Dannys for pointing us in the right direction.

Okole maluna!

Thanks to Beachbum Berry and "Potions of the Caribbean," we now know the true ancestor of the Samoan Grog:

It's the Colonial Grog, which I've added to my review and also included a new tribute recipe ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/03/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-delicious-samoan-grog-wasnt-born-to-be-mild/

Okole maluna!

Pages: 1 4 replies