Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tikiaki Orchestra at Hukilau

Pages: 1 28 replies

TB

Hats off to Jim and the whole Tikiaki Orchestra. These guys kicked it at the Hukilau. Jim also gets an A+ for marketing and packaging on the CD. A drink umbrella in the spine and a "place mai tai here" coaster inside. Brilliant!
Hope to see you guys next year.

Tiki Bill.

T

Thanx Bill !

It was great meeting you and your wife at Hukilau. So, get busy and let's hear that Tiki Bill Orchestra CD soon !

I wish I could have been at Hukilau,
I was a bit bummed to have heard all the people talking so loudly in the video that was posted. I would think that they would have wanted to hear them better.
guess not.

I will be at the upcoming So. Cal. shows to help make up for it.

and Yeah Bill, where is the Tiki Bill Cd?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff,
The sound of Tikiyaki Orchestra on Friday night at Hukilau was so amazing... and the fact that they were playing at a huge outdoor freaking pool party made it even better... The video does not do the performance justice... It was truly one of the many magical moments of Hukilau this year!

Their Saturday performance at The Mai Kai was equally as good but in more intimate quieter surroundings... They had 2 less orchestra members for that show though since the performance space was pretty much a 10 foot by 10 foot square in the center of a room...
Oh I did get to sit in with them to play Detroit Rock City during their soundcheck at the Mai Kai... Freaking Hilarious!!! :)

As for the Tiki Bill cd... I have a two song demo that Bill passed my way at Hukilau, and I can't wait to hear more...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

Goob....

Check my location in my profile on here....

You Rule Bro....So, when are the Intoxicators doing Detroit Rock City ?

BTD....Don't know if you've been fortunate enough to hear the Intoxicators but, being the surf geek that you are, you will have a Cow...they are amazing.

You should have been at Huki to see them, but, you already know that :)

Too funny... Exotica Rock City...

Don't know when we're gonna work up Detroit Rock City... Hopefully soon... all of our gear is piled up in our rehersal studio at the moment... haven't touched it since Hukilau...

Hey, a re-work of the Kiss tune Beth would make a killer exotica number come to think of it...
Maybe we need to put a cheesy "tribute" album together... Ha!

Hell... I'll buy just about any cheesy tribute album... My all time low was when I purchased "Strummin' With The Devil - A Bluegrass Tribute to Van Halen (featuring David Lee Roth)"

Oh well... I decree nothing but KISS on 8-Track at work tomorrow... and the Tikiyaki Orchestra 8-Track too... once my player breaks a splice amd eats through about half of the Destroyer album... remember those days.... :)

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

T

We actually have a cheezy lounge version of "Close to You" by the Carpenters in the works...It's really funny.

Brian, I didn't think you were old enough to have listened to KISS on 8 track !

I always had LP's and cassettes...never 8 tracks.

KISS rules.

D

And drinks and the Mai Kai...what could be better?!

Yeah man, Tikiyaki Orchestra blew me away. I'm forever a fan now.
And yes, that was me who posted the vid of them in the "events" section. It was a spur of the moment thing. I was taking pics with a point and shoot, with video options...pretty darn good for a point and shoot camera...but HELL NO, not very professional. Enjoy it for what it's worth. Nick was doing a real HD video, soon to be seen on DVD...can't wait Nick!
Jim your stuff is awesome, I was hoping to meet you, but too much going on, too many drinks, too many people...so, next time! If ya ever need a drummer, or guitarist, or bassist let me know!!! ha.

W

Awesome show!

...but you know you should have bought the plate!

On 2008-06-24 10:51, wentiki wrote:
Awesome show!

...but you know you should have bought the plate!

Ahhhh...that was YOU in the gift shop. Yea, I SHOULD have bought the plate, but I was hemoraging money at that place. Best time I had in a long time tho'. The Mai Kai rules !

Thanx for the vid surfin tiki. Maybe you can jump in on a song next time. I thought the video sounded great actually....from a PHONE ? Damn ! Technology,man...crazy.

Hoo hoo ha ha... I GET TO JAM with Tikiyaki Orchestraaaaaaaaaa. wooooooooooooooooooooo.
(I won't hold you to that.) :D
Seriously though, do I get to play your Gretsch?? :o

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-06-24 15:35 ]

T

On 2008-06-24 15:28, surfintiki wrote:
Hoo hoo ha ha... I GET TO JAM with Tikiyaki Orchestraaaaaaaaaa. wooooooooooooooooooooo.
(I won't hold you to that.) :D
Seriously though, do I get to play your Gretsch?? :o

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-06-24 15:35 ]

Maybe :wink: I love that guitar.

I'd love to get a classic old Gretsch, but I'd probably have to sell one of my american Strats to afford it...CANT do THAT! What model and year is yours? I was about to pickup one of those new Chinese ones (G5120) with the Bigsby on it, but then I'll just be wishing I got an American. Also needing a Jazzmaster! Hmmmm jazzmaster next, or Gretsch. Here's a video I just threw together, recorded on my mac. I'm not even done doing the final tracks, but I got so excited, I went ahead and did the video!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_bUFQ56eA
Tell me how much you love your Gretsch, and how much I need to get one!!!!! 8)
Thanks for chattin!

T

On 2008-06-25 19:23, surfintiki wrote:
I'd love to get a classic old Gretsch, but I'd probably have to sell one of my american Strats to afford it...CANT do THAT! What model and year is yours? I was about to pickup one of those new Chinese ones (G5120) with the Bigsby on it, but then I'll just be wishing I got an American. Also needing a Jazzmaster! Hmmmm jazzmaster next, or Gretsch. Here's a video I just threw together, recorded on my mac. I'm not even done doing the final tracks, but I got so excited, I went ahead and did the video!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_bUFQ56eA
Tell me how much you love your Gretsch, and how much I need to get one!!!!! 8)
Thanks for chattin!

Hee Hee....It's a Korean Made Electromatic I bought this year...retail price $599. I refuse to spend more than $1000 on a guitar. The guitar player from the Intoxicators tried it and wants to get one now.

Cool video. Can I make a request ? More reverb on the drums ! :)

T

The guitar player from the Intoxicators tried it and wants to get one now.

He says that about every guitar though...
What he really needs is a 1978 Ibanez PS-10... and some face paint...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

TB

Just some silliness to share. Good friend and #1 session guitar man Jerry Outlaw and I had just finished up another boooooooring "country" session (for a TV show I supply music). After a bit of post job libations, we felt strangely compelled to write a "surf tune". After a single take of drums and guitar, and a few overdubs, we had this in about a half an hour.

http://www.mindshaftmusic.com/exotica_project.htm

It's called "Over The Falls" and played "under the influence", but not too bad.

Enjoy,

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2008-06-27 07:36 ]

Wicked cool Tiki B! Hard drivin'. Do I detect some strats in there? I'd like to hear some double hits on the snare there though, but that's just me, being a drummer.
I think we need to hear a whole album! Excellent quality recording, what are ya using?

JIM! No WAY! That's great, I'm gettin one too. Did you use that Gretsch for the recording on your CD??

Tiki goob-Brian-
How 'bout an Ibanez Iceman? And 6" platform shoes?

On 2008-06-27 07:57, surfintiki wrote:
Tiki goob-Brian-

As long as Paul Stanley played it... that's what he needs... :)
and the platform shoes too...
Maybe we could get some carvers to carve us 9" platform tiki shoes...
They would go rather well with the Blue suits that we wore Saturday at Hukilau...
The Intoxicators! "Dressed To Kill" era...
Ha!
OK enough KISS references...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

T

On 2008-06-27 12:27, Tikigoob wrote:

On 2008-06-27 07:57, surfintiki wrote:
Tiki goob-Brian-

As long as Paul Stanley played it... that's what he needs... :)
and the platform shoes too...
Maybe we could get some carvers to carve us 9" platform tiki shoes...
They would go rather well with the Blue suits that we wore Saturday at Hukilau...
The Intoxicators! "Dressed To Kill" era...
Ha!
OK enough KISS references...

Cheers!
Brian
The Intoxicators!

DUUUUUDE !!!!

Intoxicators in KISS makeup doing ALL KISS songs...an entire SET !

Remember, the "Gene" has to wear clogs !

And, nevermind the Iceman...Go for the Gibson Firebird that Paul Stanley was playing on the cover of ALIVE....

"KISS plays Gibson guitars and Pearl drums because they want the best"

Where do we sign up for the Intoxicators Army? :D

Intoxicators Army, eh?

Have they found someone to work the pyro yet?

Marina

You could call the album "Intoxicating Kiss"! Hahahaha :wink:

Tiki Bill.

TB

Surfintiki asked:
"Wicked cool Tiki B! Hard drivin'. Do I detect some strats in there? I'd like to hear some double hits on the snare there though, but that's just me, being a drummer.
I think we need to hear a whole album! Excellent quality recording, what are ya using?"

Well Surfintiki, this is my home studio where we recorded the surf tune.

It can get kind of cramped once and a while, but the AC works GREAT! Got some great mics and vintage gear in the collection as well.

Tiki Bill.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
I like the styrofoam stallagtites from the ceiling, I've never seen that for sound shaping.
Drool...drool.
Where's all the tiki decor? :D

T

On 2008-06-27 23:12, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! wrote:
Intoxicators Army, eh?

Have they found someone to work the pyro yet?

Marina

Now THAT would be a great show. Marina, you could dress up in the Gene Makeup and breathe fire.

TB

Damn! What a perfect segway I gave you!

Pages: 1 28 replies