Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trying new mixers

Pages: 1 11 replies

I'm trying out some new mixers, and if any body has tried anything new or cool please chip in.

Teisseire French Syrup Grenadine concentrate - This is definately better than the Fees or Rose Grenadine. All natural ingredients. Makes a great mixer and I even made the kids some sodas with it. Very nice.
Teisseire All Natural Almonds Orgeat - All natural Orgeat/Almond syrup from France. Has a very natural almond flavor with no preservative or additive bite. Very nice. Definately more subtle than the artificially flavored brands, so I just used more and dropped the simple syrup. Held up well in my Mai Tai.

I just ordered these, as they weren't available at my stores in ATL.
Monin Passion Fruit Flavored Syrup
Monin Pure Cane Sugar Syrup

Just whipped up a Mai Tai with Barbancourt 5 star, Grand Marnier instead of Orange Curacao, and the Teisseire Orgeat. A very nice Mai Tai.
For whatever reason I have not mail ordered the Trader Vic's Orgeat and Passion fruit. Do the restaurants sell the products or mail order only?

Monin have just released cucumber syrup, tastes good, smells good as it is, now its up to you guys out there to make a cocktail that tastes good with it.

On 2008-06-22 09:32, IntermiXXX wrote:
For whatever reason I have not mail ordered the Trader Vic's Orgeat and Passion fruit. Do the restaurants sell the products or mail order only?

Might want to rethink ordering the TV syrups...check out this thread for more info:
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???

On 2008-06-22 18:44, UtopianDreem wrote:

Might want to rethink ordering the TV syrups...check out this thread for more info:
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???

I'll second that emotion, try Finest Call's Passion Fruit Puree instead. It has real passion fruit in it, and it should be fairly easy to find at a decent liquor store. Here in the Long Beach area BevMo, Emilio's Beverage Warehouse in Lakewood, and of course Hi Time Cellars always have it.

Monin's got some great stuff.

Finest Call has several that are great, several more that suck.

Once you have a small library of taste profiles to mix from, venture out and start making your own.

I haven't bought a bottle of Orgeat in over a year, it is too easy to make my own and tastes way better than anything I can buy.

Same for grenadine, Passion syrup, Sour Mix, Falernum, and a whole host of other bottles that live under my bar.

On 2008-06-23 04:48, Chip and Andy wrote:
Monin's got some great stuff.

Finest Call has several that are great, several more that suck.

Once you have a small library of taste profiles to mix from, venture out and start making your own.

I haven't bought a bottle of Orgeat in over a year, it is too easy to make my own and tastes way better than anything I can buy.

Same for grenadine, Passion syrup, Sour Mix, Falernum, and a whole host of other bottles that live under my bar.

I wish I wasn't so lazy...it took me weeks to get motivated enough to make cinnamon infused syrup for Zombies! C + A, what do you bottle your homemade syrups in? I usually end up using a .5 liter water bottle, any better suggestions?

S

Monin makes good syrups, but their Passion Fruit Syrup is just awful. Way too sour. It kills your cocktail.

On 2008-06-23 14:13, Jason Wickedly wrote:

I wish I wasn't so lazy...it took me weeks to get motivated enough to make cinnamon infused syrup for Zombies! C + A, what do you bottle your homemade syrups in? I usually end up using a .5 liter water bottle, any better suggestions?

I seem to always have some empty rum bottles laying around that work really well.

On 2008-06-23 15:26, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-06-23 14:13, Jason Wickedly wrote:

I seem to always have some empty rum bottles laying around that work really well.

smacks self in forehead Of course!

I'm trying out some new mixers, and if any body has tried anything new or cool please chip in.

Teisseire French Syrup Grenadine concentrate - This is definately better than the Fees or Rose Grenadine. All natural ingredients. Makes a great mixer and I even made the kids some sodas with it. Very nice.
Teisseire All Natural Almonds Orgeat - All natural Orgeat/Almond syrup from France. Has a very natural almond flavor with no preservative or additive bite. Very nice. Definately more subtle than the artificially flavored brands, so I just used more and dropped the simple syrup. Held up well in my Mai Tai.

I just ordered these, as they weren't available at my stores in ATL.
Monin Passion Fruit Flavored Syrup
Monin Pure Cane Sugar Syrup

Just whipped up a Mai Tai with Barbancourt 5 star, Grand Marnier instead of Orange Curacao, and the Teisseire Orgeat. A very nice Mai Tai.

I use Teísseíre Orgeat when I don't make my own, but it's so easy to make your own Emergency Orgeat, which is generally better than store-bought anyway; so I rarely resort to Teísseíre. But Teísseíre is good.

Rock Candy Syrup is about the easiest thing in the world to make, so you're better off doing it yourself. You'll get a lot more for the money and the quality will be superior. Here's How to Make Rock Candy Syrup.

My favorite store-bought Passion Fruit Syrup is Aunty Lilikoi and here you can find Gnomon's Family Secret from 1345 Revealed (about Aunty Lilikoi).

On 2008-06-22 12:17, cheekytiki wrote:
Monin have just released cucumber syrup, tastes good, smells good as it is, now its up to you guys out there to make a cocktail that tastes good with it.

Hi! I read a recipe recently that was a summer-time concoction of gin, cucumber and rose... but I can't remember where...except I was in Scotland when I read it.

I found a Liquor shop that carries the full Clément line in Atlanta (Tower on Piedmont). I picked up a Clément Créole Shrubb and a VSOP. Looking forward to trying them out.

Pages: 1 11 replies