Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Retinal Delight Art Show - Laguna Art Museum

Pages: 1 4 replies

The company that I work for, Hurley, as well as Juxtapoz Magazine opened an amazing art show last night.

"In the Land of Retinal Delights: The Juxtapoz Factor." So many classic Juxtapoz magazine artists have pieces in the show. Many that have touched on tiki as well. The Rydan piece was amazing! The Todd Schorr piece will blow your mind. There were also pieces by Shag, the Pizz, Von Dutch, Stanley Mouse, Don Ed Hardy, Big Daddy Roth, and even an original Leetag! A whole room of moving, life sized hula girls packing ukuleles and machine guns...

This is by far the most amazing show I have even seen put together. It runs from June 22 - October 5, 2008.

You would be a damned fool to miss this one....

Spike, call me! I have been trying like crazy to get a hold of you! See your PM.

where can we find pics?

B

Righteous show!

I dont recall the last show i attending that truly blew my mind the way this one did.

Not a lot of tropicalia, but still required viewing as possibly the most important art show of the decade. Mad props to Hurley for underwriting the show!!!

Spike, great to chat with you briefly in my mad, alchohol-fueled tear through the show!

And yeah, 2 of my favorite art installations were on display, the ubiquitous Kevin Ancel's 'Tribute to Captain Cook' and his group of anamatronic Tiki Girls are poignant statements about the colonization and corruption of the Islands by us Americans.

I wonder if there is a group discount to buy the whole dozen or so of them!

TL

Here's a sampling of the show. Not my pictures....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sketchypad/sets/72157605764172708/
The photos don't even do it justice.

Pages: 1 4 replies