Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Paipo's Stone Tikis - $old out for now - check back soon!

Pages: 1 13 replies

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 1:57 AM

Here's the newest and probably the most detailed/involved pendant I've made this year. The mask is carved from a whole natural beach pebble, and the inset tongue (which is held against the roof of the mouth by the cord) is fine NZ Marsden jade, carved in the form of a miniature rei-puta (traditional whale tooth pendant). The piece comes with a very durable hand braided cord that will be finished with a matching stone toggle and loop closure to your preferred length.

Dimensions: 54mm (2 1/6") L x 36mm (1 1/2") W x 18mm (3/4") D.

$OLD. more coming soon!

A piece like this is incredibly labour intensive (due to the very sculptural quality), and although not cheap it represents great value for the effort and time it took. Unfortunately I have been (and will be) making less tiki pieces this year to concentrate on the more lucrative aspects of my career and meet exhibition commitments, so this is a rare chance to get a top-shelf (or "fancy" as I like to call em) Paipo piece!

Feel free to PM me or post right here if you have any questions...

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-07-03 16:48 ]

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-07-05 22:42 ]

You do very very nice work. I wish I could afford this piece because it is fantastic!

H

What a beauty, it is just perfect.

Just counting the change to see if i can add this to my collection enjoying my last tiki pebble I got from you Rhys

Love this one thinking hard - food? gas bill? tiki from rhys!!! its a tuff one!!!!

top notch work again papio,all i can say is WOW!

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 6:40 PM

Where in the hell is that tax check when you really need it.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 7:14 PM

Wow - thanks to everyone for the comments (and the bumps).
Tonmawrtiki - :lol: Who needs those things? I often go without life's necessities to indulge my taste for curious objects. Nothing makes me forget about unpaid bills like a shiny new mug!

Well, I'm getting the impression people dig this stuff, but the price puts it out of reach for many (and this one is about as expensive as my pebble tikis get). Maybe something more affordable might be in order:

Austral Island Drum Mask. Aprrox 1 1/2" (37mm) L x 1 1/2" (35mm) x 1/2" (12mm) D.
Also SOLD

This is a great piece if you want something a little more subtle, and although ancient in origin, it has a nice modernist feel to it.
Based on a traditional object (thank to Tama for the scans):

Cheers :drink:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-06-26 22:44 ]

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-07-05 22:43 ]

J

:D

Very nice piece Rhys, and worth every penny of the $285. An original piece of art done by an original artist.

Both pieces are very clean and super sharp as usual.

The Koruru tongue reminds me of a palm leaf. The two colors work so well together, as do the different stones.

Paipo,
I haven't chimed into your posting in a long time, but I just gotta say WOW! Those 2 last pieces are fantastic. I especially love the simplicity and style of the Austral Island Drum Mask. Just outstanding! You are truly a master with your art.

Hare maru,
Myke

As always, brilliant work! Expressive, and meaningful.

Unfortunately I have been (and will be) making less tiki pieces this year to concentrate on the more lucrative aspects of my career and meet exhibition commitments,

Wait,..."more lucrative aspects of my career"
Do you mean to tell me that you are not just sitting there and punching them out for us at T.C.? Are you telling me that you make more money somewhere else?
Good for you, a talent this great needs to be rewarded.

It's beautiful!
Someday I will wear a Paipo' piece.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2008 2:05 PM

Thanks again for all the really cool comments - I can't remember ever having such a great response to something I've posted in the marketplace (that didn't sell :lol: ).
Hooray for Jen on getting the bargain of the year (so far)...I will be doing some more affordable pieces when I get on top of my backlog!

On 2008-06-28 19:35, bananabobs wrote:

Do you mean to tell me that you are not just sitting there and punching them out for us at T.C.? Are you telling me that you make more money somewhere else?

Yeah, as much as I love carving tikis, I make better money from my contemporary jewellery because it is production oriented and I can batch work it, whereas these pieces are a one-off labour of love each and every time. That said, I still manage to spend way too long on some of my contemporary work too.
Also, for some reason I'm still trying to fathom I have taken on more exhibitions this year than in any other year I've been carving, even though after each one I promised my self it would be the last?!? I just can't say no!

On 2008-06-28 19:35, bananabobs wrote:

Unfortunately I have been (and will be) making less tiki pieces this year to concentrate on the more lucrative aspects of my career and meet exhibition commitments,

Good for you, a talent this great needs to be rewarded.

It's beautiful!
Someday I will wear a Paipo' piece.

wow makes me feel kind of lucky to have one already - strongly recommend getting one - having one round your next makes the working day brighter!

if you search this thread youll see No6 must get it up on my blog in fact i'm off to do that now

http://www.tonmawrtiki.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-07-03 10:25 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies