Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Chef Shangri-La's 32nd Anniversary Weekend

Pages: 1 32 replies

Aloha Gang,
It's time again to come out and join in the Anniversary Celebration (32years) at Chef Shangri-La in North Riverside, Il. This year Suzie is having the party on Saturday and Sunday July 19th and 20th.

Saturday the fun begins at 7:00 pm with the smooth and mellow sounds of the Bikini Beachcombers, followed at 9:00pm by the magical surf rhythm's of the Cocktail Preachers.

Sunday the doors open at 12:00pm and there will be some vendors/artists showing their goods. The Bikini Beachcombers will perform at 2:00pm and the Cocktail Preachers will be on at 4:00pm. There will be drink and food specials both days as well.

The Chef has undergone a lot of renovations since Exotica last year, so if you haven't been there for a while you'll be in for a very pleasant surprise, new floor, new ceiling, brand spankin' new washrooms, 2 new outdoor signs, and the (soon to be) newly painted trim work and Tikis outside.

So come on out Saturday to here some great music, enjoy a cocktail or 2, and have some yummie grub as well. Come on back Sunday for more of the same plus, the chance to pick up some goodies from the vendors and artists.

Chef Shangri-La
7930 W. 26th St.
North Riverside, IL 60546

Call 708-442-7080 to make your resrvations today!!

[ Edited by: bamboolodge 2008-06-24 10:00 ]

Many mahalos to the BambooLodge for helping to put this together! Sounds like it will be a great time and I hope to see a great turnout!

Support Midwest tiki, and help support your local tiki artists!

Lake Tiki's Summer 2008 tour continues with an appearance at The Chef's Anniversary Party. No worries if you missed me at Hukilau, I'm coming to Chicago with many of the same new carvings that were a hit at Hukilau, and a few new designs I'll be carving in the coming weeks!

Mark it on your calendar, and I hope to see you there!

Dave
Lake Tiki

On 2008-06-24 22:43, Lake Surfer wrote:
Many mahalos to the BambooLodge for helping to put this together! Sounds like it will be a great time and I hope to see a great turnout!

Support Midwest tiki, and help support your local tiki artists!

Lake Tiki's Summer 2008 tour continues with an appearance at The Chef's Anniversary Party. No worries if you missed me at Hukilau, I'm coming to Chicago with many of the same new carvings that were a hit at Hukilau, and a few new designs I'll be carving in the coming weeks!

Mark it on your calendar, and I hope to see you there!

Dave
Lake Tiki

don't forget to bring me one of those flat ku carvings for my bar!!! -thanks!!

may have to try makin this....the chef does look great since the renovations too!

T

I'm going to try and make it. I haven't been to the Chef in a while.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 1:05 PM

I will come, but only if I get to visit the World Famous Bamboo Lodge afterwards. :P

for those in town all weekend i suggest that friday night stop at the sand bar in brookfield...they usually have a good jazz/blues band every friday but the decor is really great, the food awesome and the drinks are good too....also, there are some cheap but clean vintage hotels nearby inbetween the chef and the sand bar for those making a weekend of it in chicago..maybe the organizers can provide more info...

also, don't forget to eat at dizzy's diner!! great food and affordable too!!..and they are located practically across from tne motels...

i'll have plenty of stuff to vend as well...some vintage tiki, custom lamps (cheap and you don't have to pay for shipping if you buy them direct from me on sunday) and some other odds and ends....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-30 08:22 ]

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 9:13 AM

Now back to our regular scheduled program. :D

Hope everyone has a great time at the Chef!

word around the campfire is that the "real gones" will be playing a late show at the sandbar following the saturday night set of the cocktail preachers at the chef......the party just keeps going on!!! whooohooo!!

ill be in on sunday....cant wait

we spent all day today volunteering our time to repaint all the tikis at the chef for this upcoming weekends event.....big thanks to bamboolodge dave and coalbe vasta, gary yaroki, and lorie....for all your dedicated help in keeping tiki alive and well in our corner of the woods.....

here's pics of the days events......and the good tiki karma that was accumulated for our help.....

coalbe putting the finishing touches on the mask...

view of the streetside....

dave vasta and coalbe trimmed up all the hedges for this event...

dave finishing up the tiki mask....

coalbe working that mask ...

dave putting the tweak on that mask...

we hope to see you all there to enjoy the weekend ......

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-13 14:10 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-13 14:11 ]

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-07-13 19:15 ]

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2008-07-13 20:43 ]

Hey,
What's with the side view? Nobody really needs or wants to see that, ok? Paybacks are a mofo!!!!!!!!!

hows' that ??? better???

I was just at the Chef and I thought the Tikis all looked fabulous. Great job. You gotta love the Chef! The anniversary party should be lots of fun. Look for the ladies in tiaras.

This just in.......
Suzy will be de-buting the new Chef Shangri-La T-Shirt this weekend. The design features the Chef Tiki from their menu, and was created by local artist "Rocki". The shirts will be availabe at the front desk on Saturday,and Sunday, plus they can be purchased Sunday from these vendors: DSK Designs, BambooLodge, and D&G Art-Vintage. This is shaping up to be quite a Bash! Great music by 2 fantastic bands, fabulous cocktails,and yummy eats, so if you haven't made reservations yet, do it now!

we'll be there around 2pm on Sunday. You guys did a great job with the outside tiki's and grounds.

bump!!

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 5:36 PM

On 2008-07-14 17:03, BambooLodge wrote:

This just in.......
Suzy will be de-buting the new Chef Shangri-La T-Shirt this weekend.

any chance they will come in 3Xl?

why don't you just buy 2 and sew them together?? LOL..

..seriously..i know they have some in XXL sizes......you better p.m. bamboolodge and see..maybe he can put one aside for you if you plan on showing up.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-16 18:08 ]

HK

Wow, 32 years! Hope everyone has a great time!

On 2008-07-16 18:53, Haole Kat wrote:
Wow, 32 years! Hope everyone has a great time!

Aloha Josh,
Maybe for the 35th we get the Kats back to the Chef?

HK

That'd be great, Dave!

As it turns out, there's a chance we'll be in town for the 3rd week of August. If it pans out, we'll be doing the Sandbar on Friday the 15th. (Also, probably the Foundation in Milwaukee on Tuesday the 19th)

Do you think Suzie might wanna do a belated party with some music on Saturday or Sunday?

Either way, hopefully we can get some hang time in while we're in your neck of the woods.

Mahalo!

Josh

On 2008-07-17 07:53, Haole Kat wrote:
That'd be great, Dave!

As it turns out, there's a chance we'll be in town for the 3rd week of August. If it pans out, we'll be doing the Sandbar on Friday the 15th. (Also, probably the Foundation in Milwaukee on Tuesday the 19th)

Do you think Suzie might wanna do a belated party with some music on Saturday or Sunday?

Either way, hopefully we can get some hang time in while we're in your neck of the woods.

Mahalo!

Josh

Absolutely Josh! We'll talk to Suzie and get you guys in at the Chef if you come to town! Let us know, and we could do International Tiki Day at Chef Shangri-La, featuring the Haole Kats.

chef shirts, cant wait!

Bump!

Looking forward to spending the day at the Chef Sunday!

Thanks so much to Suzy and Chef Shangri-La, The Vastas and everyone else involved for putting this event together!

I will have some of my best work this year with me, so if you're looking for tiki decor stop in, grab a drink or a bite to eat, enjoy the wonderful music and check out my stuff!

Aloha!

..thanks to all that came out this weekend to the chef and to all the vendors....we had real blast. ....Hope you all had a good time.

..Lake, your stuff looks awesome! glad you came down......and thanks to the bikini beachcombers for doing an unscheduled set for all of us over at hala kahiki sunday night after the event....nice to hang out there on a slower night with live music inside and outside the place........

stay tuned for more chef hijinx....hope to have more music and stuff in the not too distant future........

Mucho Mahalos to everyone who came out and joined in the fun this past weekend! The Bikini Beachcombers and the Cocktail Preachers performances were superb on both days. Thanks for shopping with the vendors, and most of all just for coming out and supporting Chef Shangri-La. Glad to see so many out-of-towners made the trek as well.
Suzie would especially like to thank everyone who purchased one of the Chef Shangri-La T-shirts, she was pleasantly surprized at how many were gone by the end of the day yesterday. She has expressed that she would like to have entertainment on a more frequent basis, so stay tuned for more info.

D&C

I was having such a great time I didn't take too many pictures. DOH!

T

Finnaly some pics.

P{ost more please. Us outta state folks wanna see Chef Shangri-La !

K

Yes, more pics, please!

By the way, did they do a makeover inside? The wall covering around the door looks different than what I remember. Did the innards get a facelift?

On 2008-07-22 08:27, Kanekila wrote:
Yes, more pics, please!

By the way, did they do a makeover inside? The wall covering around the door looks different than what I remember. Did the innards get a facelift?

How the heck are ya?

We really didn't take many pics, cuz we were too busy having fun!

New floor and new ceiling since you guys were here last, which had been needed for quite a while. Remodeled bathrooms as well!

You guys need to come back to Chi-town!

wow, it felt so good to be at the chef again, it had been way too long. the food,drink,entertainment, and vendors were all great. so stoked that the chef shirts pay tribute to the mighty dr. fong. thanks to all involved.

Here's some pics from the weekend.....

Pages: 1 32 replies