Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

chicago time out magazine features hala kahiki

Pages: 1 8 replies

..Last night we got to hala kahiki just as film crews were wrapping up a photo shoot at the bar....for those of you that don't know, TIME OUT Magazine is a local chicago rag that reviews bars and restaurants around the area....i'm amazed it took those assholes this long to find out the place was even there.

what really bothered me about this is that they brought in their own bartender for the photo shoot and a couple of younger model types girls to pretend to be the waitresses....I guess i feel that if you want to turn folks onto a place, why go the hollywood route and make it into something it's not by misleading the public...?? It's as if to say, you people that actually work here are too ugly and fat for our glamourous mag....step aside for a moment while we fake it here with our beautiful people stand-ins.......i felt bad for the employees there.

I guess on the upside hala kahiki will get more city business, but on the downside....it's gonna be all squares and pseudo hipsters...just the type of folk that crap up a good bar.....

the magazine article comes out mid july...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-25 10:26 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-25 10:26 ]

S

Could be a union thing. Or maybe they just prefer to have a known quantity when photographing and not bother the employees, etc.

or maybe, unbeknownst to the employees, it was the new staff.

I'm an ex-professional photographer and I'm surprised they went the route they did. The management had to okay the whole thing, of course... but all that for a review?

I hope your bar doesn't get crapped up, it'll peak business now and collapse later when it's out of vogue and then we'll have another dead Tiki bar in the obits.

while i think the review will bring in the wanna be hipsters from the city,and maybe make waits longer for a few months, im not worried about it bringing the demise of an establishment thats been around as long as hala kahiki has....i do think its stupid they brought in models, and yeah, its about damn time they did something on the best place anywhere near chicago....

Have been wanting to go to this place- but haven't been able to convince my hubby to go. Easy to get him to take me to the Rendez-Vous in Kenosha- as it is less than an hour away. Any suggestions on ways to convince him???

Well, if i can manage it from England, there should be no reason for him not to take you...

You don't know how good you've got it having such a fine place so close at hand LOL

On 2008-06-26 23:25, Nurse Tiki wrote:
Have been wanting to go to this place- but haven't been able to convince my hubby to go. Easy to get him to take me to the Rendez-Vous in Kenosha- as it is less than an hour away. Any suggestions on ways to convince him???

..wear something really sexy....??......I dunno....you are asking the wrong guy, cause i just do not understand why someone needs to be convinced to go to a tiki bar.....I mean, someone mentions tiki bar and i respond "where is it and when do we go"......

I know....wait till the time out magazine article come out....then he'll see the models in the photos and think "wow-this place is loaded with babes!"...."why didn't we go here sooner???- let's go now!!!!"

that should do the trick!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-27 05:38 ]

T

Shame you didn't show up early Tipsy, i bet they would of used your ass as a model!

Pages: 1 8 replies