Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Martin Cate & Jeff Berry in NY Times article

Pages: 1 11 replies

Great article about blender drinks. Includes drink recipes from Forbidden Island and the Rusty Knot in NYC; also quotes from Jeff Berry and Martin Cate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/dining/25blender.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

~I, Z

p.s. Oops, just discovered this link was published in the "best blender" post by Gator Rob. Sorry...

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-06-25 11:50 ]

J

I'm glad you started a new thread for this. I never would've seen it in the blender thread. :)

Martiki - Warm up that blender! I'll be wanting a Max's Mistake tonight!

:drink:

M

Sorry, me no at FI tonight- back again tomorrow for Flight Night.

"Old Timers" may remember the "Max's Mistake" when it was called "Martiki's Mistake" due to several errors on my part while making a Starboard Light at Trader Vic's many moons ago.

As to who Max is, well, that will have to remain a secret.

TG

I just finished reading the article, and was like "uhhhh what is this Max's Mistake that I HAVE NOT HEARD OF!!!??" will this become a regular item on the menu?

Cheers,
Dina

J

On 2008-06-25 14:34, martiki wrote:
Sorry, me no at FI tonight- back again tomorrow for Flight Night.

That's cool. I'm there with a group of gal pals tomorrow night!

Made the Spiced Colada tonight from the recipe in the NY Times. I liked the amazing amount of bitters that went into this drink. Just a crazy amount -- and it worked wonderfully. Very nice bouquet on this concoction.

It was very good, but a bit on the sweet side. And of course the coconut cream made it very rich. I'd make them again but save them as a dessert drink.

I, Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-06-25 22:13 ]

Martin , I think I need to come in for one of those also.

not tonight, but soon

Martiki, you have no idea how bad I want to pay FI a visit. At the Hukilau, I heard nothing but rave reviews, especially about the drinks; the pictures I've seen on the website look awesome, the menu looks great, and I'm super psyched about the high quality recipes. Now... I just need to rejuve my savings after surviving a major throwdown Hukilau AND the madness of the Aku Tiki Room auction. As soon as I'm off mustard sandwiches I'm getting a ticket to the Bay area and running your blender through the gauntlet.

J

Oh yeah!!!! That Max's Mistake is one fine beverage! Extremely tasty, and I'll have another please!

Great article, i had also missed it.

And as for using blenders..oh well..but they are surely needed.

IZ

On 2008-06-26 19:15, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Now... I just need to rejuve my savings after surviving a major throwdown Hukilau AND the madness of the Aku Tiki Room auction. As soon as I'm off mustard sandwiches I'm getting a ticket to the Bay area and running your blender through the gauntlet.

At least you can afford the mustard! That said: Count me in! Me go too! As Quince said, we've heard nothing but good things about FI here in the hinterlands. I plan on getting there soon.

Re: the NYTimes article: Little Fragrant Tiare, it kinda re-juved my faith in blenders a bit. I love the part where they talk about the sound a blender makes once a drink is at proper consistency (a "wah. aaa.. wah.. aaa ... wah" sound -- hilarious). Also I made a terrific Test Pilot (2 actually) last night that I blended for 5 seconds with crushed ice, as Beachbum Berry instructs in the Grog Log. For years I've skipped this process, thinking the blender would make it too diluted. But it worked great -- AND I discovered that my blender has a digital timer on it, so the 5 seconds was exact -- guess you can tell how much I use my blender :)

I,Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-06-27 09:23 ]

M

Thanks for the kind words, all! Please let us know when anyone is headed to FI and we'll do our best to roll out the welcome mat!

Pages: 1 11 replies