Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

psycho beach party!this sunday july 20th pics up!!!

Pages: 1 41 replies

Sunday, July 20, 2008, the Tower bar will be hosting it's annual Tiki Party!!!

Entertainment:

MONSTERS FROM MARS

ZOMBIE SURF CAMP

SURFSIDE FOUR

ANTIQUE SCREAM

Burlesque show and gogo dancers!

Specials:TBA
Live tiki carving village, car show, and free barbeque in parking lot!!

Starts at 2pm @ The Tower Bar,4757 University Ave. (corner of University and Euclid), in colorful and historic North Park, San Diego.
$5 cover gets you FOUR SURF BANDS, BBQ, and a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Brought to you by The Tower Bar, Silly Jilly, and Billy the Crud!

View my work @

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-06-25 17:29 ]

[ Edited by: billy the crud 2008-06-29 00:20 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-06-29 00:22 ]

[ Edited by: billy the crud 2008-06-29 00:38 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-15 06:25 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-21 02:30 ]

YES! this is gonan be radd, i love ZSC and MFM

Sounds awesome.
gonna try to be there for that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-06-26 00:25 ]

Tiki Thomas and I will be carving in the parking lot and we have room for two more carvers. If anyone is interested, please PM me or respond here.

Flier made by Silly Jilly!

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jun 29, 2008 7:21 PM

dang, Billy this sounds like a mini-Tiki Oasis 8!

bands, carvers, go go dancers, burlesque, tropical drinks - the only thing missing is a pool!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26337&forum=17&198

http://www.tikioasis.com

warm up party......
who's all going???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

awww the art i made dosent fit the title now, but its all gooood, ill still be there a choppin away!

On 2008-06-29 19:21, Otto wrote:
dang, Billy this sounds like a mini-Tiki Oasis 8!

bands, carvers, go go dancers, burlesque, tropical drinks - the only thing missing is a pool!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26337&forum=17&198

http://www.tikioasis.com

I stole an inflatable one from my daughter and quit smoking so I could blow the #@!*er up!

This is going to be a REALLY fun event and Oasis is going to be heavily promoted. I found out last year that SD Tikiphiles had NO idea that the worlds greatest tiki event was going on right in their own back yard. Typical San Diego......we miss the forest for the beach!

The Lava Flow Inn is pretty much the hippest place 'round these parts!(and I still aint been there!)

View my work @

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-01 12:52 ]

B

i like me some go go dancers...and psycho-surf-a-billy.

hmmm this is the day after tiki freak-out...maybe we need to arrange some southbound car-pools??

On 2008-06-27 01:07, Billy the Crud wrote:
Tiki Thomas and I will be carving in the parking lot and we have room for two more carvers. If anyone is interested, please PM me or respond here.

Maybe Tiki Kate??

or Buzzy?

Buzzy is a maybe. He usually works on Sundays, so I doubt he'll make it. Have you seen his new batch of hooligans? Great stuff, man!

My dad has a Suburban, I can hold 6 including myself if anybody wants to carpool down with me from Anaheim.

contact me if interested.
[email protected]

Tower Bar? Is there going to be an eating contest? Maybe including Spam & Pineapple?

On 2008-07-01 14:17, freddiefreelance wrote:
Tower Bar? Is there going to be an eating contest? Maybe including Spam & Pineapple?

Spam and pineapple gorging? Sounds like fraternity hazing, man. Eat a whole can of raw Spam, three pineapple rings, slam a shot of Jameson and a 24oz PBR.......step back and watch the fireworks! KABOOM!!! Spam chowder.

Nah, Tower Bar is known for their Tuesday Night Eating Contests (Twinkies, Wasabi, Peanut Butter & Bacon Sammiches, etc), winner gets $30 off their bar tab.

And Fried Spam goes really well with Grilled Pineapple.

They are also known for selling more PBR than any other bar in Calif.
I believe.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-07-02 08:47, freddiefreelance wrote:
Nah, Tower Bar is known for their Tuesday Night Eating Contests (Twinkies, Wasabi, Peanut Butter & Bacon Sammiches, etc), winner gets $30 off their bar tab.

And Fried Spam goes really well with Grilled Pineapple.

Yeah, I've been there for the eating contests and can hardly handle watching, let alone participate. A couple of my friends have, though.
The Tower is a very historical San Diego landmark and every year, it's either the beginning, end, or meet$greet for our Mods VS Rockers run.
Aside from selling record amounts of PBR, Mick has the largest collection of PBR merchandise, outside of Milwaukee and is the only bar in town that sells OLY.
We will mention the SPAM eating contest to Mick and see what he thinks. That would be REALLY fun to see, actually.

hey billy how much space will there be for us choppers? would i be abble to bring a few paintings and tikis to try and sell?

If we get there early enough, we can have as much space as we need. The bed of my truck will be part of the carving area as well, so we have a place to put our tools and what not. I usually don't really SELL much at events like this, but I give out a lot of cards and have gotten a lot of call-backs as of late. I'm sure it's cool, but let me check with Mick(the owner) first.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 6:49 AM

The Tower Bar is an amazing bar, cause it's a converted 1930's-era soda fountain & former beauty shop.

It's sort of part of the Egyptian Art Deco movement that hit San Diego back then, you can still see Egyptian buildings all along Park Bvd at University.

It's also the bar where one guy was so thirsty he couldn't wait to park. 1964:

And - they have the coolest vinyl car stickers I've ever seem.

Hey, Camm, thanks for posting that pic. They have Tshirts available with that on them as well.

The TRUE story of that incident is that a regular from the bar got into it with his wife over being at The Tower more than he was home. She got fed up with it one day, driving her car through the front door in a fit of rage. One patron was crushed and killed, but her husband was unhurt. Crazy shit, eh?

Originally, the kitchen was upstairs(the dumbwaiter is still in the office, which used to be behind the original bar),then it was a beauty salon and a couple of other things, but now it's Tower Tattoo. Lots of "shady" stories behind the place, but now it's owned by Mick, an Australian rocker who has made San Diego his home. Google "Tower Bar San Diego" and you'll find a lot of cool history as well as currents.

View my work @

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-07 23:25 ]

nice history posts there,
thanks,

I just realized that the show is starting at 2 pm.
Doh!!!
what time does this go till?

as I wouldn't be able to be down there till at least 6 pm.
:(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

ZSC isn't scheduled to go on until like 8, if you look at their page. Bar opens at 2 and the party goes until whenever, pretty much. No worries, man. If you got there at 6pm, you'd probably catch the last band or two.

Yeah, I'm totally there! Lookin forward to takin it all in.

[ Edited by: skull duggery 2008-07-12 22:21 ]

its just around the corner!

On 2008-07-14 20:21, tikithomas08 wrote:
its just around the corner!

Yup! This Sunday, man........and some new news......There will be a MAN EATING FISH on display.

a man eating fish ?

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2008-07-15 15:50 ]

Being that it's a few minutes from my place, it would be foolish not drive the old A100 over there for a looksee.
I'll definitely try to make it.

Ran

Ran,
thats cool your going,
If it was at 5 or so, I would be there for sure.
bummed im gonna miss it,
eat a bunch of twinkies or spam for me.
:wink:
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Got word that the bands are starting a little late, so all of you late-comers will still see a show.

Also, Thomas, yeah.......you busted me. I was going to pack a tuna sandwich for lunch!

This going to be a GREAT event and there will be at least two San Diego Tiki Carvers there, doing carving demos(Thomas and myself). I'll also have some of my surfboard blanks there for sale.

so i just need to show up at 2 right? or do you want me to be there earlier to set up n stuff

Between 12 and 1 or so is when I'm getting there. I need to make sure I have the right space.

today was radd billy, thanks for getting a chop to be part of it. all the bands were really killer too. meet big tiki dude and some other tikiphiles

GRIMACE!!!!

Or is that a purple durka.....

I'll post more pics here when I get over my zombification, but you can see them all here until then...

Monsters from Mars

SurfsideIV(showstoppers!)

Zombie Surf Camp(kickass surf/grind/garage)

TCers

Big Tiki Dude, Ran, and Pineapple Man, it was great to meet you and thanks for making the trek

Thomas, Trav, Buzzy, and Zaya, thanks for keeping San Diego tiki alive!

Camm, we missed you!

View my work @

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-21 03:19 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-21 03:29 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2008 6:37 AM

Now THATS a Par-tay!!!!!!!!!

How come none of those punk-ass Punkers ever thought of using a chainsaw onstage before??????

Monsters From Mars - Yow.

And where does Thomas git those cool shirts? I'll tell him where he can get Godzilla ones of he tells me where he gets German Sci-Fi ones.

Wow,
What a fun show, I had a blast.

All the bands were right-on for my taste(or lack of).
Surf garage tunes, PBR, and killer tiki artist throwing it down, what a great way to spend a Sunday. I'd like to thank Billy, the bands, and everyone else who made it happen. Good Job! I realize these things take a bit of effort.

The only thing that could have improved the whole experience would have been MORE COW BELL!!

Now I'm really amped for T.O.

Seriously, I completely enjoyed myself thanks again to all that make it happen.

Sofa King
(Nick)

Hey All,
I'm glad I came down for part of the days/evenings festivities.

sorry for being late, but thanks for delaying thins a bit for me.
I was at the Huntington Beach Surfing Museum watching 3 SD area surf bands till 4:30 pm. then jammed down, I think it took me a bit over an hour,
new time record?

all the bands sounded great.
and the Hula/burlesque dancers were a great addition too.

Nice tiki's Billy.

Trav.
read your PM's ya bloody bastard.

hope to see more cool events at the tower bar.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I think SurfsideIV is my favorite new surf band. They freakin' stole the show:

well Hula go go girls sure does help to make a surf band more watchable.
not that I didn't like the band,
but you get what I mean.
good to see/meet everybody down in SD.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

And where does Thomas git those cool shirts? I'll tell him where he can get Godzilla ones of he tells me where he gets German Sci-Fi ones.

thanks camm, its actually in english, the font is kinda sci-fi so it looks hard to read from a distance. its actually a shirt i designed for the surf band of time travelers, the tomorrow men

I went down to KCR radio today to see the surf side IV play live in the studio. they were once again, killer. I also did a little interview on air with Clint, i did a little add for tiki oasis, told everyone to come on down and have a mai tai and have some fun, and told them the info and stuff. we also talked about you billy, one of the surf side 4 guys said "Billy the Crud rocks!, if i had any money i would totally buy one of his tikis, unfortunately i am in an instro surf band" clint also asked me about my band, my tikis and my graphic design company. i had a blast, cant wait for the next in studio surf performance

Pages: 1 41 replies