Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

thats not carving , This is Carving :) ... or so I thought

Pages: 1 28 replies

:lol:

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . a Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-27 23:52 ]

WOW!! You really have to look, man........there's a LOT going on in that tree. Is there a website where I can see a larger pic?

I received them in an email , all I know is that it is in South Africa

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-27 03:44 ]

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-27 03:45 ]

Someone is a freakin' AMAZING artist......or maybe several someones!

Amazing alright , I have never seen anything like it .
Seems to be in a nice setting too .

B

What an Awesome project and I Think the tree is a Boab, which they make Tooth picks out of!
I have seen this pic before, thanks for finding it Jock! You could truly get Lost in that tree.

Maybe someone can come up with the history of it ,

and the artist .

Ive been there a few times. 20 different artists carved over 320 different animals.
Here is a picture from my honeymoon last year.

The chimp is Jane Goodall's favorite, David Graybeard. That is what that little plaque in the picture is for.

It costs about 50 bucks to see it up close. But there is a mountain worth seeing nearby.

How long ago was it done ?

That's the Tree of Life. Its the centerpiece for Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando. They actually used oil derricks for the framework. It is amazing!! As you walk around it you continually see animal after animal built into the trees surface. Sorry not a real tree and not carved sculpted. There is alot of info on how they made it - just search.

Construction photos:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/treeof.htm

That is some really nice work. :D

Yeah, it's nice, but I got all excited, thinking it was a tree in Africa or New Gineau or something........it's Disneyworld, where the laughs are as plastic as the scenery, and a cheeseburger is $12.50(on the low end). Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but I was thoroughly disgusted by how much of cash funnel that place has become.

Bugga , I feel ripped off now :(

bloody Disneyland :evil:

J

There's already a whole other thread for your Disney-bashing pleasure.

On 2008-06-27 17:36, JenTiki wrote:

What ???
I did not start this thread to indulge in 'Disney bashing'.
If you read through it thoroughly , you will understand that .

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-06-27 18:47 ]

J

On 2008-06-27 17:49, Toataiaha wrote:

What ???

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/9106/483e350c.jpg)  

I completely understand that. My post was intended for the post two before me. I was trying to get your thread back on its original track.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2008-06-27 22:54 ]

On 2008-06-27 22:53, JenTiki wrote:

On 2008-06-27 17:49, Toataiaha wrote:

What ???

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/9106/483e350c.jpg)  

I completely understand that. My post was intended for the post two before me. I was trying to get your thread back on its original track.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2008-06-27 22:54 ]

Oh , I see that now ,
sorry lass :oops:

PT

Aloha!
I remember seeing this on the Travel Channel at least twice a month. It's pretty amazing. And technically it's in Africa. But also Asia and whatever other lands they show there. I'm not 100% sure. I'm more of a Magic Kingdom and Epcot kinda guy.

-Cheers! :drink:

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jun 28, 2008 6:52 AM

Sorry some backwoods carver didn't spend the last half of his life doing this, but it's still amazing on two counts;

1. As drop-dead beeeutiful sculpture

and

1. The fact that some pretty imaginative folks drew it up, planned that sucka out to the last bootlace, did it right, and got the tightwad rats driving black BMWs at DisneyIncCorp to pick up the check.

Oh, it's beautiful, I'll give it that, but I'm just a bit jaded after working for Disney for 5 years in the 90s.

Come to think of it, I watched the building of that tree on the History Channel, but missed the finished product. As stated above, there's a recycled oil derrik as part of the infrastructure. Fantastic feat of engineering, as expected from the Imagineers. I can't believe that after 5 years at Disneyland and on the travelling shows, I never went to Disney World. I think I OD'ed on Uncle Walt, man.

PT

I think I've spent enough time for the both of us. I love Disney. I know this will probaby recieve tons of responses as to why Disney is so bad, but I don't care. Heck, I've been wanting to work in the parks for a while.

Anywho, just because it's not real wood doesn't mean it's not still beautiful.

I was just at DW last week and love the place (did Magic Kingdom for my daughters 6th birthday - the princesses are HOT). The Tree of Life is VERY cool. They have the Bugs Life show in the root section and you walk all thru the trees roots to get to the show. Every turn reveals something new and unexpected. It truly is the centerpiece - and well deserving. They just need to add some bars to the parks like Universal. Nothing like get hammered and riding "Its A Small World"!

N

AlohaStation:

All parks have bars except MK; for there, it's just a quick boat or Monorail ride to the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian (or hit one of the other watering holes at the Grand FL or Contemp).

Scott

I was gonna say, that looks like resin...not wood...still groovy though.

PT

AlohaStation:
Small world needs it's own bar. I got stuck on it for about 30 minutes. I needed something harder with my Coke. I love the turkey legs though.

Pages: 1 28 replies