Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

What's the possibility of having avatars for the message board? Seems like a good idea. Doesn't it?

The version of the web board we're using here doesn't support Avatars. :( There are newer boards available but it would mean re-customizing it with all the special features I've added (mostly email delivery).

~Hanford

S

Bummer. :(

But, I understand. I imagine it doesn't eat up as much bandwidth either.

hey hanford - i modeled lottaliving after tiki central (three holy bows to the north) and am using the same software - perhaps a simple upgrade to next version wouldn't be too hard? it does have avatars and some other nice features...

S

Sorry Dude. Look what I started.

(Sounds like a cool idea though!):)

Naw, it's okay. I've investigated it a few times. The main problem is that the 2.0 version of this board was a complete rewrite from the version we're using. Still not a problem, but then you add in the customizations I've made to it. I'm not talking about the art, but the actual code changes (this web board is open source) that I've added to do the mailing out of messages and the automated sign-up and removal for that, and a lot of little tweaks here and there to how the data in the server is handled.

So upgrading would mean we'd lose all those things, and re-implementing all those changes on the new forum is not that simple.

It means re-learning the forum code and patching (or perhaps completely reprogramming) all the changes I've made.

I've been overworked with a lot of other projects, and I have a mile-long list of things to do with Tiki Central, and upgrading is one of them, but it's not a simple one.

Until we have that, simply create an avatar image and add it to your Signatre. How's that sound?

~Hanford

Pages: 1 5 replies