Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Not my find but my brother's find...

Pages: 1 10 replies

My brother just won this auction on ebay. Pretty good price!

eBay Link

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten link - 2008-07-19 12:08 ]

I bought a Tiki Bar from that same seller about a month ago (also eBay). They shipped the bar and a shelf in separate boxes by Greyhound at the same time. The shelf arrived 2 weeks ago and the bar appears to be lost, ARGH! They shipped the barstools by UPS and those arrived safely as well. I had a lengthy conversation with the shop where it is supposed to arrive and they said Greyhound routinely loses shipments. If it's not a local pickup for your bro, tell him to avoid having it shipped by Greyhound if at all possible.

I bought a Tiki Bar from that same seller about a month ago (also eBay). They shipped the bar and a shelf in separate boxes by Greyhound at the same time. The shelf arrived 2 weeks ago and the bar appears to be lost, ARGH! They shipped the barstools by UPS and those arrived safely as well. I had a lengthy conversation with the shop where it is supposed to arrive and they said Greyhound routinely loses shipments. If it's not a local pickup for your bro, tell him to avoid having it shipped by Greyhound if at all possible.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, he lives about an hour and a half away so he's gonna pick it up. How many of those bars do they have? It looks like they have another posted, similar but bigger!

They have as many as you need, they're making them.

T

So these are the people that make them for Tiki Farm? Interesting. I was wondering what the story was.

TS, sounds like your brother has it made then! Unfortunately I'm half the country away from them, so picking it up wasn't an option. They are working from their end to solve this, they've got a replacement to send me if the original doesn't turn up. Unfortunately it's a different color, so it won't match the stools and shelf. But I'll recover it and all should be well :) Below is a pic of the one that is lost in transit. It'll be unfortunate if it doesn't turn up because I really love the colors on this one.

How can you loose a whole Tiki Bar? ...I THINK those folks are making them, so if it was insured, they should just get you a new one, no?

Oh, I know I have lost a tiki bar before...

Of course it was because I wandered off and couldn't find my way back :D

T

Apparently Greyhound can lose darned near anything. One of my (many) hobbies is R/C planes and a guy I know sent a large 1/4 scale gasser by Greyhound from a fly-in to his home. They managed to lose that too, and it was even bigger than this tiki bar! That was about a 20k plane and I think it was insured for the max value which was 1k or so. I think the tiki bar seller has learned their lesson about Greyhound shipping, I noticed they listed a newer bar as "local pickup only". I don't think they want to make another to match the one that is lost, it appears they're clearing out old stock. These are the earlier Tiki Farm tiki bars that have been OOP for quite some time. The newer bars have resin masks instead of the wood ones and have 4 leg stools instead of 3.

T

So did your brother ever get his bar? Mine never did arrive and the seller was not helpful. I finally filed a Paypal complaint against them and incredibly Paypal came through with a 100% refund. I ended up sending them about half of the payment back again for the shelf and barstools that I did receive, but the bar apparently is lost for good. It's been like 2 months since I paid for it. Rats! Now I've got barstools and a shelf that match each other great, but no bar, LOL!

Damn, sorry to hear you had so much trouble! Ya, my brother was able to drive up there and get the bar, no problem. I've heard Greyhound can be a pain. It's unfortunate that the sellers are being such a pain too! What gives?

My brother said they have quite a few of those bars and ton's of Herman Miller/Eames chairs. I need to drive down to my brothers and see how it looks in his place!

T

Good to hear your bro got his bar, it helps to be local to the seller :) Well here's my saga with this seller...

They mentioned in the auction that they had a matching shelf. When I won the auction I offered to buy the shelf and they sent me an invoice for the bar and shelf together. I paid it the same day and they said they'd ship the next day. They were very quick to respond to emails right up until I paid. From that point on it usually took 3 emails from me to get one response from them. A week later I asked if they had sent it off as I hadn't heard anything. I got some excuses, but bottom line was it had not shipped. A week later I emailed again, still hadn't heard anything. I was told they had shipped the bar and stools, but had not sent the shelf yet and would do so the next day. Another week and more emails and they claim it's all been sent. Another week goes by, still have received nothing and they don't respond to any of my emails this time. I finally just file a complaint with Paypal. In response they send Paypal a tracking number with FedEx (after telling me it was all shipped by Greyhound) dated the day of my complaint! That day I check with Greyhound and they had a big box, turned out to be the shelf. It's labeled box 2 of 2, no sign of box 1. It had been shipped 3 days before, not 2 weeks prior when the seller told me it had already been shipped. Then the FedEx package arrives a couple of days later, it's the stools. At this point the seller tells me they have another bar in a different color and offer to send it to me as a replacement for the missing black one. I decide I can recover the green fabric, so I accept their offer. They had already listed it on eBay and offered to pull the auction which I agreed to. 3 days later the auction successfully ends, they never pulled it! They said that eBay wouldn't let them, yet another in a series of many lies from this seller. Another week goes by and Paypal credits my account and I count myself super-lucky! I offer to pay them for the shelf and stools and then pay the rest when (if!) the bar arrives. They agree and I send them the payment. I continue to check every 3 or 4 days with Greyhound and keep emailing them to let them know I did so. No responses at all. I finally left neutral feedback (being generous I think!) So that's it, no bar but I did at least get my money back and I can work the shelf and stools in without the bar so it's not a total loss. I'm not mad or anything, I'm always mystified at these sellers who just flat-out lie like this. They were never rude or anything, just not truthful.

==My brother said they have quite a few of those bars and ton's of Herman Miller/Eames chairs.==

They sell repro wire bases for Eames chairs. They also sell originals from time to time as well.

==I need to drive down to my brothers and see how it looks in his place!==

Post pics if you get down there, that's a really unusual Tiki Farm prototype bar!

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-19 20:03 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies