Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Forbidden Island Summer 2008 Drink Specials with bonus collectible!

Pages: 1 10 replies

M

Aloha!

I’m pleased to announce our Summer Drink specials- we’ve got some special treats and surprises in store for our seasonal drinks, so I wanted to send out a quick note to talk about them:

1. Tropical Itch- We’re going back to a classic, this time from famed Hawaiian bartender Harry Yee. Harry invented this in 1957, and it gained instant fame for its backscratcher garnish. It’s become a tiki bar staple for over fifty years, and we’re proud to bring it back. And while supplies last, each Tropical Itch will come with a limited edition custom-made bamboo Forbidden Island Backscratcher! Hurry in before the latest FI collectible is all snapped up!

2. Sloe Gin Fizz - Speaking of classics, when was the last time you tried Sloe Gin? Probably twenty years ago, and you woke up not feeling so hot, right? Well, chances are very good that it’s because there hasn’t been a real Sloe Gin available in the US for a generation or more. Forget everything about the artificial stuff, and come to FI for a real Sloe Gin Fizz, made with Plymouth Sloe Gin, available for the first time in the US. Made with real sloe berries (I’ve been to the distillery and seen it with my own eyes!) and based on an 1883 recipe, there are only 2000 bottles of it in the US, and it’s only in New York and the Bay Area. This is a very special treat, and we only have a few bottles so don’t delay!

3. Shiso Lovely – Melissa’s drink is a complex and dynamic mix of muddled purple shiso, shaken with fragrant Batiste Agricole Rhum, Dimmi Italian Liqueur, fresh lime, and Martin’s homemade Wild Blackberry Brandy. A feast for the senses!

4. PLT – Jessica’s drink is the perfect summertime cooler made with fresh Alameda-grown plums, 100% agave tequila, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, fresh lime, and soda water. Tenderoni!

5. Passion Storm - Stephanie has whipped up a delightful twist on the classic Dark n Stormy, which adds a crisp and bracing touch of real passion fruit puree to the tried & true formula of ginger beer and Gosling’s Rum.

Your summertime refreshment starts at Forbidden Island!

Mahalo!

M

Wow, I know I'm excited!

M

Check it out- here's a picture of the maceration tanks at the Plymouth distillery that I took last year. Those are full of sloe berries soaking in overproof gin.

yum!!

On 2008-07-02 11:29, martiki wrote:
limited edition custom-made bamboo Forbidden Island Backscratcher!

Those probably won't last until the Crawl will they?

Hanford, Mai Tai, Humu, Tikitastic, somebody grab me a backscratcher please!

Thanks

M

they just might not! Someone will take care of you tonight, BB.

M

Non-Tiki bonus- but good news for whisky lovers:

We have just introduced a range of limited-edition independent bottlings of rare single malt scotches. These unique drams will please scotch lovers and are specially priced at just $8 an ounce to allow you to taste several and experience the differences. That’s an amazing price for scotches that retail for up to $200 a bottle! Each whisky is a hand-selected single malt from the finest distilleries in Scotland. They spend 6-8 additional months in a secondary European oak cask to enhance the flavors and are then bottled with Islay spring water at Bruichladdich Distillery. Each whisky is 46% ABV, non-chill filtered, and coloring-free. Explore these unique whiskies while supplies last!

Auchroisk 1992 – aged 13 years (Syrah cask finish)
Macallan 1987 – aged 18 years (Madeira cask finish)
Macallan 1989 – aged 15 years (Vintage port cask finish)
Macallan 1990 – aged 14 years (Banyuls cask finish)
Glen Spey 1996 – aged 10 years (Madeira cask finish)
Bowmore 1998 – aged 8 years (Chenin blanc cask finish)

T
thejab posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 3:44 PM

Yum! I want to try them all tonight!

P

Yum.. me too, i think that's 6 drinks on my list for the next time I come in.

H

Got to try the Tropical Itch, Sloe Gin Fizz & PLT at FI this past Wednesday.

The Tropical Itch is a sturdy, sturdy drink... not for the faint of heart. Yummy, though, if you like 'em stiff! And the backscratcher is pretty darned snazzy. It's in the trunk of my car at the moment, but I'll try to add a pic when I can. Bora Boris, you are one of my favorite people on the planet, so this backscratcher is all yours. The only trick is you have to come up & visit us in the Bay Area to collect it!

The Sloe Gin Fizz was interesting -- maybe a little sweet for me, but not at all in a sickly way, it's good stuff. I only got to have a few sips of this one, I'll get a whole one of my own so I can develop a more thorough opinion.

My favorite of the night, though, was the PLT, which took me by surprise. I'm not the biggest fan of tequila, and while I love elderflower I've been feeling burned out on it. But this drink is crazy-good. The plums are just so damned delicious, and all the flavors come together so nicely. I'll be drinking as many of these as I can get before the plums run out. Yum!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 10:30 AM

HUMU!!!!!!!!

CL

Sloe Gin Fizz - Hmmmm, sounds tasty. I'm going to have to break my no Gin moratorium ..Maria (the other Maria) and Chris...take note...I will be drinking Gin :D.

Pages: 1 10 replies