Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

oceanic oddities- the other oceanic arts....???.

Pages: 1 6 replies

I should have posted this a long time ago.....oh well......

I met this guy, mr. nick? Hall at the first chin tiki show when we were let into the old chin's for the first time.....he's the guy on the left in the photo....which is from 1958.....so he was obviously much older when i met him....seems he and his business partner (on the right) used to carve and sell tikis and other oceanic type stuff back in the fifties..about the same time bob and leroy were settin up shop at oceanic arts.....

their company was called oceanic oddities from La Cauada, california......

Mr. hall signed this photo for me and gave it to me for a souvenier..i was just getting ready to frame it and throw it up on the wall in the tiki room and decided i better scan it and share it with you all....anyone have any more info on these guys and their biz???

i thought sven might find this interesting......

A
ahvyna posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 8:26 PM

Oceanic Oddities was in La Canada, CA.

take a look at the writing on the photo..that's all i had to work with..but thanks for the clarification just the same....

and what's with the little spanish accent thing over the word canada?? that's what threw me off....

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-02 20:37 ]

T

The name for La Cañada Flintridge comes from the Spanish word cañada, meaning gorge, ravine

H

I think the accent is for you to pronounce la Canada so it sounds like pinata, as in the colorful figurines you beat the shit out of to tear apart?!, and not Canada like the country....

A
ahvyna posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 8:48 PM

Its pronounced La Cah-nah-da, or someone might come after you with a hockey stick.

[ Edited by: ahvyna 2008-07-02 20:49 ]

geez..i'm glad i posted this..i'm getting all sorts of info about the intended topic of oceanic oddities........NOT!!!!

no, i get a lesson in language instead for my trouble........

look where the finger points my friends , not at the finger itself.....

"when the shit eventually hits the fan.......we all get a little on us!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-02 21:13 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies